Picked up 2000 busa today. possible problems...

BikePilot

Registered
I picked up my 2000, 3k mile busa 300 miles from home and noticed 2 problems within the 1st 50 miles:

1) Too much vibration from 4k up. tracks eninge speed, not ground speed. I test drove a new busa and it didn't have this. Some thoughts (Remember, I'm a newbie):
a) Throttle body sync really messed up
b) chain too tight (will check tomorrow)
c) Bad coil on 1 cylinder
d) I don't want to think about d.

I know that TB syn is an issue - will it result in pretty significant vibration as the revs rise>

2) Hard to tell what it was, but there was some kind of intermittant noise/vibration that occasionaly made the engine louder for maybe 10-20 seconds at a time while cruising at 70-75 indicated (my wife says I was going 65-70 per her SUV speedo). Almost sounded like the clutch was slipping and the engine speeding up, but I dont think so. Possible ideas:

e) Cooling fans? I was going 70+, but it was 90+ degrees F out. could the fans com on? can you feel additional vibration when the fans are on?
f) Fuel pump? Does this come on periodically for about 15 seconds in a way you can feel?
g) sympathetic harmonic oscillation excited by #1 above
h) I don't want to think about h.

Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

Dave

I also have a 2000. I have a vibration that kicks in at about 4700 rpm. It doesn't matter how fast I am going and it doesn't seem to get any worse as the tach climbs.

I got mine new in 1999 and the vibes have always been there at about 4600-4700.
I like to think it's just the bike letting you know it's about to take off.

Back