Picked my 03 Busa up today!

Okay guys, so I picked up my 03 Busa today... Black and Grey (wish the grey was silver, but no matter).

Wow, this bike is FAST and hadles SO VERY well as compared to my previous 2001 Katana 750.

Pro's
- Power? Yes please (thoughts before).. Thank you (thoughts after) This bike has plenty of power.. Crazy amounts of power even.
- I feel like I am sitting close to the ground so it is easier (yet still a pain) for my 6'1" 195 pound self to push around while sitting on it.
- The seat feels very comfortable.. I am not used to sitting so far back and it's almost a stretch (I have long arms) to reach the handlebars while sitting upright with my ass against the rear seat.. Something I need to adjust my riding stance to.
- On board MPG readings is cool... Two Trip counters is cool also..

Con's
- Wow, does that windscreen actually serve a purpose? My shield was covered with more bugs in 10 minutes of my ride home than the 45 minutes it took me to bring my Katana in for trade. No matter how far I lean over I can't get down enough to see through it.
confused.gif

- What the heck is that semi-high pitched sound I hear when my key is turned to on and the kill switch is turned to run? Is that the fuel pump? Damn, that's annoying.
- I'm not used to dual exhaust since my 2001 Katana had single so I keep hitting my left foot on the muffler when I launch from a stop (at a normal pace).. but that's me and I'll adjust accordingly.
- Pretty lame that the bar which passengers can hold on to is bolted in so you have to actually unbolt bolts to put the bubble on.. I hadn't really noticed before buying, but I think it'd been simpler to make the seat smaller so the bubble could just go over it. But that's just me.
- Dealer said 60mpg... I didn't think that was gonna happen since my Katana got 50 if I rode it nicely.. but wow, 32mpg according to the on board mpg reader so far and I've yet to go over 5k rpm!!
- Took me no time to set the clock.. but how do you stop it from flashing?.. if there's another way than just turning the key off and back on again.. that worked but didn't seem like how it should be done.
- I keep hitting my left knee on the frame (guess that's why there's that rubber guard there?).. I think I'll have a bruise after a while.

There's the list off the top of my head... there are more Pro's than Con's but who thinks about the good all the time. ;)

I tried to pop it up a little at about the 70 mile mark... I rode at about 5k rpmin 2nd... let off and immediately got back on it. Nada... Maybe I needed to be up more about 8k and let off then get back on again? Suggestions are welcome.. but I think this is a topic for either PM or a different thread than this one.

I love the bike... overall I give it a 9 out of a scale of 1 to 10.

I got stuck in a brief rain storm on my final trip home.. Word to the wise.. 3 seconds after it starts to sprinkle don't goose it because I spun the rear wheel in 2nd for a moment.. Scared me.
drink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah.. another thing.

Why does my right leg feel so warm? Does all the air that goes through the radiator come out that side? It was only about 60 degrees today (maybe for a high) and my right leg was always warm. I can only imagine how it's gonna be when Summer really arrives and it's 90 degrees in the shade!
firedevil.gif

Con's
- Wow, does that windscreen actually serve a purpose?  My shield was covered with more bugs in 10 minutes of my ride home than the 45 minutes it took me to bring my Katana in for trade.  No matter how far I lean over I can't get down enough to see through it.  
confused.gif

- What the heck is that semi-high pitched sound I hear when my key is turned to on and the kill switch is turned to run?  Is that the fuel pump?  Damn, that's annoying.
- I'm not used to dual exhaust since my 2001 Katana had single so I keep hitting my left foot on the muffler when I launch from a stop (at a normal pace).. but that's me and I'll adjust accordingly.
- Pretty lame that the bar which passengers can hold on to is bolted in so you have to actually unbolt bolts to put the bubble on.. I hadn't really noticed before buying, but I think it'd been simpler to make the seat smaller so the bubble could just go over it.  But that's just me.
- Dealer said 60mpg... I didn't think that was gonna happen since my Katana got 50 if I rode it nicely.. but wow, 32mpg according to the on board mpg reader so far and I've yet to go over 5k rpm!!
- Took me no time to set the clock.. but how do you stop it from flashing?.. if there's another way than just turning the key off and back on again.. that worked but didn't seem like how it should be done.
- I keep hitting my left knee on the frame (guess that's why there's that rubber guard there?).. I think I'll have a bruise after a while.
IONH,

O.K. dude.  First things first.  Congrats on choosing the Busa.  Secondly, the stuff you are talking about are quick fixes and you will be on your way to Heaven.

1.  Grab rail.  You can modify the hump to fit over the grab rail so that you never have to take it off again. Think of it like the Karate Kid..."Hump on...Hump off"
idea.gif

2.  Setting the clock.  Once you set and it starts flashing.  Let it flash for a couple of seconds then quickly push the other button below the set button and it will stop.

3.   Stock windscreen.  Replace it with a ZeroGravity Double Bubble or a PowerBronze (I just so happen to have both).  Another choice would be a Pyramid.

4.  Seni high-pitched sound.  You are exactly right.  That is your fuel pump.

5.  Dual exhaust.  Simply a preference.  Can order you a new exhaust and cure all your woes if it's the single exhaust look you like.  For me personally, I love the look of the dual exhaust.

6.  Hitting the knee?
rock.gif
 Just clumsy I guess
laugh.gif

7.  60 mpg?  Bullsh^t!  My best is approx. 35mpg. (not even close)  I'm sure it depends on your elevation in regards to sea level.  It's that whole fuel to air mixture thing...know what I mean?

Brian

Double Bubble windscreen will be the best $72 you can spend on that bike.
The buzz is the fuel pump, no worry.
Don't hope for 60mpg!
You aren't gonna stay outof the throttle long enough to go thru a tank of easy riding.
Don't wanna wear shorts during the summer!

Pretty bike!

IONH,
Congrats! Couldn't wait for the silver/grey?

It is a fantastic bike. Check out the Mods section to see what people are doing. Usually the first mod people do is the kick stand mod. It would be a shame for that new beauty to fall over on her side.

The PowerBronze DB is sooo nice. It will make riding much nicer.

Other mods that I would recommend are the Air Horn (the stock horn is anemic), and HeliBars (brings the handle bars up and back toward the rider as well as a little wider hand placement).

If you decide to take the fairing off, talk to the group here about recommendations. You don't want to scratch the plastic.

Lastly, get a hold of the Service Manual that's making it's way around the ether.

Happy riding!

Congratulations on the new bike.

Get a new windscreen first. The stock one is useless. I guess that's what happens when you design a bike in the wind tunnel.

The heat definatly comes up between your legs when it is hot. Don't let the bike idle for long, it will overheat. There is just too much engine inside that plastic for it to stay cool sittin' still.

What kick stand upgrade? First I heard of this. Wait, maybe I did hear something about it slipping. What is recommended?

All the other stuff they said I have found to be true. These people are great.

What kick stand upgrade?  First I heard of this.  Wait, maybe I did hear something about it slipping.  What is recommended?

All the other stuff they said I have found to be true.  These people are great.
take a dremel and make the forward notch a hair deeper... There is a post somewhere with pics and all.

Some people have dropped the bus when the kickstand closed on 'em.

IONH,

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL! There, I feel better.

Bacharrles took care of everything I think, THe fuel pump noise annoying? No way man...Think of it as the beast clearing her throat. I love it.

Dubble bubble is the way to go!

Engine heat? OH yeah! Welcome to the 1300CC firebreather.
I try not to sit in traffic idle to long. At long lights she starts really heating up. I kill the motor at the ignition and relax.

If I remember right you are on the younger end of the spectrum, take it easy for a couple of weeks, I came off the same thing you did and the Busa will have you entering corners too hot, sliding the rear end, and taking it easy at 20 over the speed limit. Give your brain time to re-adjust.

Wheelies, Let her break in a little bit more before you get wheelie happy, mine will come up in first at 5500 with a quick roll on and in 2nd at about 6000, take it slow though. She comes up readily.

Enjoy it and thanks for the pics.

OH yeah!  Dig through the pages in general and the other forums, almost every question you will have has been asked and explored.  Tons of good info.

Rev

IONH.....congrats...I just picked up identical bike two weeks ago.....you are braver than I....no wheelies for me. Don't want to be buying tires tooo soon.

When the dealer first showed me my bike and turned the key and those gauges lit up and the needles ran up and back and that fuel pump whined...it was the coolest sound....reminded me of a cockpit in an airplane. Did you know that the Busa will go faster than a jetliner at takeoff? Revlis is right, the monster is clearing its throat. It is "ready for take off".

As flight attendants say "Caution, contents may shift while in 6th gear!!!

Be safe....oh and the windscreen, get the double bubble....and DON"T come out of a tuck to a straight up position in speeds above 90....you might be ripped from the bike...especiallly if you are light like me. Learned this the hard way at considerably lower speed.

Thanks for the info guys.. I'm in the process of going through the Modifications folder as we speak.. then I'll go through this one some and hit some of the others maybe.

Anyone have any good sites for me to purchase aftermarket items from? I saw someone say we could get handlebar extensions on eBay but I can't seem to find them there.. I'm fine with paying full price for them.

BTW, I didn't want the grey and silver.. that's the one I sat on in the show room. I'm more of a black bike type of guy and I love the black and grey. Just saying that if it was black and silver it'd been even better!

Also, I am young (hmm, 23 with a $10k+ bike with less than 125 miles on it) but I am fairly responsible. Thanks for the words of advice though. I've been riding now for a hair over 6 years and have a good 20-25k miles under my belt as well (even tho it was not on a beast as powerful as the Busa!)

IONH,

Don't feel picked on, seems as though everyone gets the same "take it easy for a little while" lecture.

Shopping online? There are several good ones, you'll find most of them in Merchandise.

Moto-xtreme has been good to me, LP has good stuff, tricktape.com has some good stuff as well, but there are alot out there.

Have fun Man.

Don't feel picked on, seems as though everyone gets the same "take it easy for a little while" lecture.

Shopping online?  There are several good ones, you'll find most of them in Merchandise.

Moto-xtreme has been good to me, LP has good stuff, tricktape.com has some good stuff as well, but there are alot out there.
I understand the take it easy lecture.. some people aren't smart enough to know better without being told.
unclesam.gif

Thanks.. hadn't noticed that forum yet!

Congrats on the new purchase.
My friend Bought the same color as you. We bought 2 new 03 Busa's from Canada and have to say they are incredible.
Have a good time with it. He removed his stickers and so did I.

Valley_pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
7.  60 mpg?  Bullsh^t!  My best is approx. 35mpg. (not even close)  I'm sure it depends on your elevation in regards to sea level.  It's that whole fuel to air mixture thing...know what I mean?

Brian
Brian i ride my Busa 200 miles a day round trip to work if I keep it around 80Mph I have gotten as good as 54 mpg I usually get about 48 to 52. I can round trip work on one tank of fuel no problem.

Ok my 2 cents,...
You can't get low enough to see through the windscreen. Personally I like the stock one, which brings me to another thing. You can sit up until you hit 120, squeeze the kneeze and crunch the abs.

Mine gets hot but hasn't ever overheated, the fan (stock) comes on and it cools down.

Congrats and be careful!

Back