Physician Assisted Suicide

If I were to be diagnosed with ALS, I would fight it as long as humanly possible until I physically couldnt fight it. At that point, I would choose PAS.

ALS is a terrible condition to have to live with. Imagine being at work one day and waking up the next too weak to even piss yourself. Then realizing that your muscles are degrading and breaking down. Your organs are slowly shutting down. Then your respiratory drive fails and you have to live on a vent. You cant move to turn the vent off. You are total care and 100% incapable of doing anything for yourself. You are paralyzed from the neck down.

All of that goes on and you are 100% conscious and fully alert and aware of everything. ALS doesn't have any effects on your mindset. At all.

Is that how youd want to live?

It's not. The only issue I have with assisted suicide is the fact that some people that can live long and productive lives will opt for the end it all route if it is available. Other than that I have no problem with it. I sure don't want to end life in a bed with no mental/physical capacity, being a burden to others.
And what's wrong with that? Free will should be ignored? A human should not have the liberty to decide when he/she is done on this Earth? I think it's barbaric that some feel others should be forced to live against their own will.

And what's wrong with that? Free will should be ignored? A human should not have the liberty to decide when he/she is done on this Earth? I think it's barbaric that some feel others should be forced to live against their own will.

Some folks go through periods of mental illness or anguish, after some time and help they get better and go on to live a full and happy life. If they end it all they never get to the full and happy part. That's a very different story than stage 4 cancer with weeks to months to live.

Some folks go through periods of mental illness or anguish, after some time and help they get better and go on to live a full and happy life. If they end it all they never get to the full and happy part. That's a very different story than stage 4 cancer with weeks to months to live.

Really hard to categorize and explain mental illness and the proper treatment of it in this country.....

When I look in the mirror and I see myself as fat even tho I weigh 120lbs I am given therapy, medication, nutritionist etc. I am told over and over about body acceptance and positivity yada yada

When I see myself as King Henry the VIIIth I am locked in a psych ward pumped full of drugs until I am convinced otherwise.....

Now when I am a man and see myself as a woman. I am encouraged to feel this way. Given hormones and plastic surgery to alter my body so it resembles a woman. I am allowed to think, behave and act as if I am a woman even tho I am a man down to the last chromosome.

So.... if someone has had their fill of this life and wants to check out I may not agree with their decision but I’d rather they go about in a safe and humane manner rather than biting down on a shotgun barrel or stepping off a bridge.

Really hard to categorize and explain mental illness and the proper treatment of it in this country.....

When I look in the mirror and I see myself as fat even tho I weigh 120lbs I am given therapy, medication, nutritionist etc. I am told over and over about body acceptance and positivity yada yada

When I see myself as King Henry the VIIIth I am locked in a psych ward pumped full of drugs until I am convinced otherwise.....

Now when I am a man and see myself as a woman. I am encouraged to feel this way. Given hormones and plastic surgery to alter my body so it resembles a woman. I am allowed to think, behave and act as if I am a woman even tho I am a man down to the last chromosome.

So.... if someone has had their fill of this life and wants to check out I may not agree with their decision but I’d rather they go about in a safe and humane manner rather than biting down on a shotgun barrel or stepping off a bridge.

I don't disagree and it is a very subjective subject to say the least, so how much effort to get better is enough? When someone is really down and sick they may not be thinking clearly. It's just a place I think we need to go to with eyes wide open and very carefully.

Mental illness is not one of the prerequisites for PAS that I know of. You never really recover from any mental illness; you find ways to live with it. Depression is one of the few that can be controlled unless it's too late. Dementia, Alzheimers, Schizophrenia, etc all have no positive outcomes unfortunately.

Back