Perormance Issue Fixed

E Zurcher

Registered
Got it figured out. Last summer I got some bad gas in Colorado and my fuel pump started whining. I removed the filter and backflushed the pump with carb cleaner. When I put it back together the whining stopped for a short time and came back but performance was OK. Hard to tell on a bike with so much power to begin with. Over the summer performance dropped off slightly but not enough to be of too much concern. She would still run clean up to redline. Tried Seafoam for a couple of tanks and that's when I noticed she started missing above 9000 rpm. Switched to Techron and it got worse. Funny thing was if I rolled on the throttle slowly she awould attain a higher RPM but when I held her wide open she would just miss and not go over around 7K. Also When I rolled off the throttle it would actually gain power for a second. This made me 99 percent sure the problem was fuel pressure.

Checked all the usual suspects and no change. Removed the pump and disassembled. I used my fuel bottle for my RC trucks. It has a screw on top with a 1/4 inch metal pipe. Placed it in the outlet of the filter and backflushed the filter with high pressure and volume. Gas came out murky and dirty. Put about a quart of clean gas through it this way and the flow got noticeably better as I went.

First test ride and she went straight to redline and nearly pulled my arms out of the sockets. Fuel pump whine went away. Time will tell if it's a permanent fix. If not I know it's the filter for sure. I'm a happy camper.

If I took it to a dealer I was probably looking at about 500 to 1000 bucks depending on their honesty.

Take note of these symptoms. If you have the same, go to your local hobby store and get a Quick Fill Fuel bottle intended for nitro RC cars and trucks. Backflush that filter, a new one costs around $250.00 It can save you some big bucks. I may do this at the start of every season.

I had intended to remove the fuel rail and clean the injectors. Problem was I couldn't get the four screws that hold it in place to budge. I tried it with a cold and warm engine. I am reluctant to use an impact driver because of the way the throttle bodies are mounted and the fact the fuel rail mounts are plastic and I don't want to break them. Any ideas?

Good to know, my bike was getting a little hard to start and I was going to clean the fuel filter but was afraid to tear apart a $600 fuel pump to do it. What year is your bike, wondering if it's the model before they put everything in the tank?

Of course my bike is in pieces right now but it would be nice to know how to clean it for the rebuild.

Good to know, my bike was getting a little hard to start and I was going to clean the fuel filter but was afraid to tear apart a $600 fuel pump to do it. What year is your bike, wondering if it's the model before they put everything in the tank?

Of course my bike is in pieces right now but it would be nice to know how to clean it for the rebuild.

Mine's an 09 gen 2 and it's all in the tank. Prior to 2001 the pump was an external unit and it looks way easier to service. It also has cylindrical paper filters that should be much less expensive. 2001 went to the internal pump and filter setup.

Back