Perhaps We Need To Start A Gen 3 Thread *

Yeah, but there's only like 5 of them...
Maybe, I know the owners of the older Katanas are as fanatical about their bikes as we are...they may or may not be on board with this new Katana.

That being said, for some reason Suzuki thought it important to bring it back...

.... It was a long wait to get a bike with a 13 year old detuned engine and a very small fuel tank!

I’d been waiting for the new Kat in case it was a possible for my next bike list. I had this fanciful idea that they would use the new Gen-3 engine as they had used the Gen-2 in the B- King. Sadly not.
For sure....it isn't what I'd call a breakthrough design like the original was...

Maybe, I know the owners of the older Katanas are as fanatical about their bikes as we are...they may or may not be on board with this new Katana.

That being said, for some reason Suzuki thought it important to bring it back...
To be fair, I've always seen the Busa as the spiritual successor to the Kat, to the point that I put symbols on mine at one point. It's never been a gixxer in name or design, should have been called a Katana from the jump.

To be fair, I've always seen the Busa as the spiritual successor to the Kat, to the point that I put symbols on mine at one point. It's never been a gixxer in name or design, should have been called a Katana from the jump.
That's interesting.....I always thought of my Bandit as the successor to the Kat as it reminded me of my '86 Kat in many ways, sort of similar design.

I see your point for sure....it would have been pretty cool for the Hayabusa to be called a Katana instead.

That's interesting.....I always thought of my Bandit as the successor to the Kat as it reminded me of my '86 Kat in many ways, sort of similar design.

I see your point for sure....it would have been pretty cool for the Hayabusa to be called a Katana instead.

Interesting.
The Kat was a top end Superbike of its day, and had looks that divided opinions at the time. The motor was also one of the Suzuki classics. That description could also fit a Hayabusa.

I’m a huge fan of the Bandit, I used to race a Nitrous one and have another sat here in front of me now, but to me personally it’s a great fun bike, not aimed at top end performance like the Kat and Busa, and it’s brilliant motor was just a spin off of an earlier GSXR.

Kats, Bandits, Busa’s, air, oil and water cooled, I love ‘me all !

Interesting.
The Kat was a top end Superbike of its day, and had looks that divided opinions at the time. The motor was also one of the Suzuki classics. That description could also fit a Hayabusa.

I’m a huge fan of the Bandit, I used to race a Nitrous one and have another sat here in front of me now, but to me personally it’s a great fun bike, not aimed at top end performance like the Kat and Busa, and it’s brilliant motor was just a spin off of an earlier GSXR.

Kats, Bandits, Busa’s, air, oil and water cooled, I love ‘me all !

Amen to that last statement. I have a Kat, Bandit and a Busa so I'm covered.

I find my Bandit has a lot more useable power compared to the Busa.

Well yes and no... the original Katana was essentially a re-styled GS1100E and aesthetics aside, it was all UJM underneath. The new Katana is essentially a re-styled GSX-S1000 so exactly follows the original in spirit, if not in extreme discomfort. ;)

Except the GSX1100 motor used in the Kat was a current full on Superbike engine in its original form. Still a relevant high performance bike on its release.

The new Kat uses a detuned 13 year old engine, thats physically different inside to the 13 year old GSXR K5/K6 engine that it’s based on.

The old Kat was something special in looks and performance in its day, even if it’s motor wasn’t a new release. The new Kat really isn’t anything special, it’s just a styling exercise on a very average in today’s market bike.

Except the GSX1100 motor
used in the Katana was a
current full on Superbike
engine in its original form .

Still a relevant high performance bike on its release.

The new Katana uses a detuned 13 year old engine,
that is physically different inside to the 13 year old
GSXR K5 / K6 engine that it is based on .

The old Katana was something special
in looks and performance in its day,
even if its motor was not a new release .

The new Katana really is not anything special,
it is just a styling exercise on a very
average in today’s market bike .

Amen to that last statement. I have a Kat, Bandit and a Busa so I'm covered.

I find my Bandit has a lot more useable power compared to the Busa.

A Bandit, with more useable power than a Busa??
I don't understand.
The Busa's power curve is so linear, and the stock throttle has such a long pull, I think it's the most useable and almost endless power from any stock bike.
You can cruise all day and never realize how much power you're sitting on(not that I ever had that problem, everything I get on I run wide open immediately, that way I know what I'm working with).
The Bandit has a great engine...but it's no Busa.:beerchug:

I’m a big fan of Bandit 12’s.

Although my Busa or King will nail it on performance, either stock or like for like modded, the Bandit has its place.

I own one because with a decent pipe, bars and a few other mods they have a very different feel to a Busa. A much better bike to clown about on and misbehave (unless your life is just straight line fast). Ride it like a big dirt bike, wheelies everywhere, feeling it moving about more, it’s a different kind on fun.

I find the GSX1400 easily as good if not better than the Busa for lazy cruises, touring, commuting, right up until the moment you want to punch a hole in the air and realise your 50hp down and think “I wish I was on the Busa or B-King”.... LOL

A Bandit, with more useable power than a Busa??
I don't understand.
The Busa's power curve is so linear, and the stock throttle has such a long pull, I think it's the most useable and almost endless power from any stock bike.
You can cruise all day and never realize how much power you're sitting on(not that I ever had that problem, everything I get on I run wide open immediately, that way I know what I'm working with).
The Bandit has a great engine...but it's no Busa.:beerchug:

Well, the Busa is no Bandit either, like Tony said, it has a different power delivery.

I find the Busa is a typical sport bike which likes to rev where as the Bandit doesn't need to rev to get to peak torque. For day to day riding it's the Bandit hands down, if you are going for top speed or a drag race, obviously the Busa likes that.

My Bandit has a stage 1 jet kit, timing advancer, Hindle titanium system and a GSXR 750 intake cam so has some giddiup of it's own.

Back