Penske or Race Tech Internals?

markhurd101

Registered
Guys

I have Race Tech internals for my front forks! I am debateing goining with the Penske rear shock or just get the Race Tech rear shock internals. Am I spliting hairs or is there a benefit to one or the other? I have some time before Heartland opens up, so get me your educated opinion!???

honestly what is your riding skill and "what" exactly are you trying to accomplish?

if this is a street only app? I doubt I would invest $1000 in a shock..

if you are a serious track rider dead set on riding one of the heavy tanks? a 3 way adjustable appears to be the ticket.. (not sure what I am going to do yet myself) I have a new track bike coming so may just skip the back 100%

I had Livengood Motorsports do the Race Tech internals and replace the spring on my rear shock for drag racing. Dropped my 60 fts .10 right out of the gate. Best 275.00 I ever spent for a performance gain.

Well, I belive my skill to be novice. I have turned my BUSA in to an almost full track bike. I will get a dedicated track bike, but i still want to explore the limits of the busa with me on it! I really love riding it on the track, it just does something to me that I cant describe... I have done track days at Texas World and Heartland and I am addicted to putting the BEAST on the track! So please give me more input!

Unless it is going to be a 'race' only bike...don't waste your $$$...just upgrade the spring and the valving on your stock shock.

I think the most I would do on the back is respring it if you are over 220 or so..

I did put 1.10 springs/gold valves in the front... not sure about the valving but the springs were a MUST... I actually have the 1.10's at their limits and they are in need of replacement with a 1.15 or even a 1.20

the back is a little soggy but more than adequate for track days and it is pure stock but the baseline was set up by Turn 1 Racing for me..

I can appreciate the Busa on the track but boy is it a bunch of work.... just plain heavy and shines on long straights... :)

Last edited:
i thought the penske was more of a drag racing shock. basically, the benefit would be that you could get a remote dial on the penske, where the racetech internals are still going to be adjusted at the stock locations.

they can be valved either way.. a drag shock might be say a 10/90* vs maybe a 40/60 for a road bike.. you want a drag setup to squat and stay there... (a 90/10 would go up front)

10% resistance going down
90% going back up.. keeping the spring crushed down between shifts (reverse for front)

Save your money for track days and instruction if you want to ride well. All these fancy gadgets won't improve your skills. It takes saddle time for that. Your stock suspension will work just fine until you reach the high end of the intermediate riders and will actually work pretty well all the way up to the lower end of race pace.

Here is a couple of photos of our very own GregBob on his bone stock suspension with factory suspension settings. As you can see, it's your skills that limit you at this point, not your suspension. Adjust your suspension and romp the arse off that puppy and have fun.

All the photos below are of GregBob on stock bikes with stock suspension and only two years of track time. As you can see, it's not necessary to invest in suspension to improve your skills. :beerchug:

GregBob1.jpg

GregTH-4.jpg

Greggx-3.jpg

GregBob10-02-08036.jpg

Guys

Awsome responce from my post! I am going to go with the race tech internals! Based on what I am seeing here on the post and what I am doing that would be the best!:thumbsup:

This is some great info. I am lookin into getting my suspenion done so it handles a lot better when I ride. I do weigh 360lbs.

Big Guy

I can say that if you are looking to upgrade, go with the Race Tech stuff! I had my suspension set at Heartland Park Raceway and the dfference was night and day! I was able to push the bike past my individual limits! The rear end still shifted at higher speeds but it was still manageable! I will change the rear spring and internals on the rear shock and i should be good for awhile! But suspension is the key in my humble opinion!:cheerleader:

Back