Penn State Removes Statute of Joe Paterno

GNBRETT

Registered
Good! When you cover up the actions of a pedofile your no worse then the pedofile himself. Be a MAN not a MOUSE!

Its amazing how a lifetime of dedication to a great football program will all be forgotten because he decided the game of football was more important then little boys being raped in his locker rooms. What a pathetic excuse for a human being!

Penn State president orders Paterno statue removal - latimes.com

Good! When you cover up the actions of a pedofile your no worse then the pedofile himself. Be a MAN not a MOUSE!

Its amazing how a lifetime of dedication to a great football program will all be forgotten because he decided the game of football was more important then little boys being raped in his locker rooms. What a pathetic excuse for a human being!

I share your sentiment 100%. Could not have said it any better myself.

If the school hopes to rebuild then the statue needs to be gone. The Paterno legacy is forever tarnished and will never benefit the school.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

The entire football program should be shut down for a few years

eh, hold the phone there chief. The administration of past and part of the present are to blame here not the students. The student athletes are the ones that get the wrong end of that if you shut down the program. Many of those at the school likely cannot find their way to another school due to scholarships or full rosters in other schools and are going to lose out on any hopes of professional sports as a result. And its not just a tarnish of the football program but the entire school athletics program if you kill one of the groups that draws the most attention (typically under MUCH better terms) to the school.

I agree that something should be done to them but don't take away that dream of the students to play college sports and perhaps go on to something on the next level (Olympics, Pro Sports, etc) Penalize the folks that did the harm, draw and quarter them in the quad but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

eh, hold the phone there chief. The administration of past and part of the present are to blame here not the students. The student athletes are the ones that get the wrong end of that if you shut down the program. Many of those at the school likely cannot find their way to another school due to scholarships or full rosters in other schools and are going to lose out on any hopes of professional sports as a result. And its not just a tarnish of the football program but the entire school athletics program if you kill one of the groups that draws the most attention (typically under MUCH better terms) to the school.

I agree that something should be done to them but don't take away that dream of the students to play college sports and perhaps go on to something on the next level (Olympics, Pro Sports, etc) Penalize the folks that did the harm, draw and quarter them in the quad but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Agreed to a point, Punish the guilty and rebuild with hope of return to greatness. It's going to take some time to heal and move forward and unfortunately the reputation and the program will suffer greatly. That is if it is all feasible after settling all the law suits and civil cases. They'll probably just can a few accademic programs to fund the new athletic program...cause you have to have priorities. :whistle:
So many more will suffer from the disgusting selfish actions of the few.

$60 mil fine from NCAA is a small price but that opens the door for MAJOR lawsuits!!

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I see nothing wrong with shutting down the football program there. That would be punishing the guilty and hopefully do away with this culture of anything goes if you are in a sports program crap. Though I doubt that BS will ever change.

I get all of that and I wasn’t looking for players to get hurt but I still would have shut the program down for 4-5 years. At the same time I would have made “special provisions” for the current players, and the teams that want them, so they can continue on at another school. For instance, allowing a new team to take them on without going over the maximum cap for number of scholarships on a team, and perhaps making Penn State pay the cost of said scholarships to the schools that take the players on.

Heck, SMU's football program got the death penalty for much less in my opinion. I mean seriously, what could be a worse offense?

I agree the players shouldn't get hurt over this thing but I think that this is a special case. They should have killed the program for 5 years. The school should have to honor the kids scholarships if they want to stay at the school or give them an extra year of NCAA eligibility with instant, no penalty transfer options.

That would make the cost to the students less damaging but also the NCAA needs to back up their zero-tolerance bluff on something like this. 5 years with no football is worth hundreds of millions to a major division I school in TV rights and alumni contributions.

well the cash is only part of the sanctions, they stripped every win since 1998, that alone essentially kills a football program. I hope they can find a way to move forward, allowing the students to still have a typical college life, including football games but removing the culture of turning a blind eye while punishing those involved. There's no excuse for what was done but like any significant act of stupidity/evil/unreal the focus has to turn to how to move forward and heal.

Back