PDX GSX1300R

1,300 miles since March. Don't know if that's good or bad. Fun miles though. I have long struggled with keeping things I seldom use. I could never own a snowmobile that must sit for six months of the year for example. (Though I love snowmobiling.) I like the "access" of a street bike in that adventure is just at the end of the subdivision. Deep thoughts by Carl...

My bike has not always had a "positive engagement" into 4th and 5th. I pull up deliberately, but sometimes I must maintain pressure upward as I release the clutch in order for it to accept the gear change. Any motor oils better than others? I'm on Castrol 10w40 now. Other factors?

1,300 miles since March. Don't know if that's good or bad. Fun miles though. I have long struggled with keeping things I seldom use. I could never own a snowmobile that must sit for six months of the year for example. (Though I love snowmobiling.) I like the "access" of a street bike in that adventure is just at the end of the subdivision. Deep thoughts by Carl...
Around here, the motorcycling season is coming to an end and my bike will go into storage until April so around 5 months or so...

I too enjoy snowmobiling but last season they didn't get on the trails until Jan and then off them in March so around 2+ months or so....not my thing...

Around here, the motorcycling season is coming to an end and my bike will go into storage until April so around 5 months or so...

I too enjoy snowmobiling but last season they didn't get on the trails until Jan and then off them in March so around 2+ months or so....not my thing...

Oh, Ontario. Yes, you get the real deal winters...

I gew up in Michigan, though my family did not snowmobile, I had opportunities to ride a Yamaha SRX, Phaser and V-Max. We lived on a dirt road and the snow machines would rip by the house some evenings. Always thought that was the coolest.

Oh, Ontario. Yes, you get the real deal winters...

I gew up in Michigan, though my family did not snowmobile, I had opportunities to ride a Yamaha SRX, Phaser and V-Max. We lived on a dirt road and the snow machines would rip by the house some evenings. Always thought that was the coolest.
Ah a Yamaha man...I was a Ski Doo man when I was riding....I had a Mach Z for a while I had Formulas and Mach mostly over the years...I haven't owed a sled in many years now....

I kind of miss it when I see them going by but then remember all the costs associated with them..

I was pretty young when my nieghbor let me take the SRX down the road. It was simply the coolest machine I had ever seen with the flip-up headlight and dual carb / pipe set up. I cruised down the road trying to get a feel for it. The old-style suspension was harsh. But when I did a U turn for the ride back I gave it the beans and, OMG, what a rush!!

nc_ohc=ZONvodZh1psAX_XLbEg&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

I was pretty young when my nieghbor let me take the SRX down the road. It was simply the coolest machine I had ever seen with the flip-up headlight and dual carb / pipe set up. I cruised down the road trying to get a feel for it. The old-style suspension was harsh. But when I did a U turn for the ride back I gave it the beans and, OMG, what a rush!!

View attachment 1655561
Those were cool sleds in their day..

All the modern ones are crazy...even my Mach Z1000 2 stroke with 200 hp was tame compared to what is out there now.

Soo, life has conspired to keep things interesting. And I knew this going in.

Two years ago, my son and I did a central Oregon road trip the first week of November. There were several areas of snow. The trip was awesome. In a car...

AB666297-F481-42CD-8EE4-0E7CE387CBB0-M.jpg

As part of the fun in laying out my solo moto route, I plugged the way points into my "Rever" app to get a easy read on the elevation. I figure, it's not like I'm in the Cascades, we should be fine...

Well, this was a surprise to me:

1663544181413.png

Much of the four day ride is +/- 4k feet (home is near sea level). High point being 6,300 in Nevada. Ok, no problem. I hope.

So, I will be riding a month earlier. The first week of October. How bad could it really be..?

_Y1D9963_Burns%20Volvo%20Trip_201107-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have mid, but they come close to the bottoms of my knee armor.
Tall can offer more shin protection, depending on what kind of knee protection you have.
I don't prefer to walk in either, but walking is usually minimal when I ride, or else I just carry regular shoes and clothes in a bag for my destination.

And remember MX boots have a shank in the sole that prevents the sole from folding/collapsing over the pegs from hard landings...which could break your feet.
Most street boots, and even road race boots are still reinforced, but not as rigid as MX boots are, so they aren't as bad walking short distances in.

So, hypothetically, let’s say that you have, say, an ‘05 sport bike and are approaching 25k miles, and have $1,000 mad money to spend. The bike has been maintained, but at this point things are starting to wear. You like those fancy-pants brake rotors, but are still wearing hiking boots, what do you do..?

So, hypothetically, let’s say that you have, say, an ‘05 sport bike and are approaching 25k miles, and have $1,000 mad money to spend. The bike has been maintained, but at this point things are starting to wear. You like those fancy-pants brake rotors, but are still wearing hiking boots, what do you do..?
Proper gear is as important as anything else....fancy pants brake rotors won't keep your skin on your body if you go down...

It's that perfect balance between form and function...and it's a hard balance to achieve.

Back