PCIII Vs Bazzaz Fuel Control Unit?

OneEyeMan

Registered
OK all, I'm an idiot when it comes to these things.
Do these 2 items perform the same function; namely control the fuel injectors for specific exhaust systems?
What are the differences, if any then?
My goal, eventually, is to install an R77 or HMF Big Bird when I get my Busa and I'm trying to do as much homework as possible up front.
I'm really looking for less weight, better sound, and a cleaner look.
I don't want to fiddle with the system after I have it on and am wondering which unit will give me the fewest headaches? Do you order them with a specific map for your exhaust system, or do I have to do the download and mapping myself? What do I do if I don't have a laptop?
Do I even need one of these units, or can I just slap on a new exhaust?
What will the negatives be if I do that?
I assume the bike will run better/more powerfully, with one of these controllers in addition to the full system, right?
Thanks all.
Lenny

I am still trying to find a clear answer to this myself. I like both units, even though Dynojet is my sponsor, since we use and install both its a tough call...I will say the Power Commander works better with Turbo applications due to the ability to add boost inputs and so forth. The Bazzaz self mapper has been off AFR wise on three different models of bikes using them so I think that still needs some work. I have the PCV on the turbo bike with auto tune...still testing.

Greg

Last edited:
OK, thanks Greg.
But I still need more basic answers to my specific questions.
Keep in mind that I'm a real NOOBY and much of what you said goes right over my head.
I'm not interested in racing, turbo etc.
Just want to put a nice exhaust on my bike some day.
Anybody else?
And please keep it simple.
Lenny

it is very easy and clear
pc3/5 map every 250 rpm
bazzaz map every 500 rpm
andvantage pc3

pc3 maps at 2-5-10-20-40-60-80-100%
pc5 maps at 2-5-10-15-20-40-60-80-100%
bazzaz maps at 5-10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90-100%
this is tough to call because you use the 2-5 in town alot but you can get better mapping with the more TPS% you have.

pc3 and 5 and bazzaz all have auto tune which does NOT SELF MAP YOUR BIKE.
bottom line is either one will work and work good fine the cheapest price for the base unit a real tuner and be done with it.

If all you want is a nice exhaust, save your money and just buy a set of slip ons. They will work just fine on a stock bike. No extra electronics needed. My friend it doesn't get any simpler than that.

Question is, after spending all that cash, will the end results be noticeable to the average Joe on the streets? Just how much HP will you gain after spending $2K on pipes, PC/Bazzaz and tune? Maybe an honest 5-7? Works out to maybe $300 per pony? Some very expensive horses to purchase :whistle:

In my view, the everyday guy would be far better off spending his 2g's on aftermarket Ohlins suspension. I personally prefer a bike that has good handling character over a few few hardly noticeable ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my view but it's my story and I'm stickin to it! :beerchug:

OK, thanks Greg.
But I still need more basic answers to my specific questions.
Keep in mind that I'm a real NOOBY and much of what you said goes right over my head.
I'm not interested in racing, turbo etc.
Just want to put a nice exhaust on my bike some day.
Anybody else?
And please keep it simple.
Lenny
Call me at the shop I can answer any of your questions 301-473-9191. If your not RACING get a set of slip-ons...4-6 HP less....you don't need.

slip ons are fine but you don't add power or save weight if you want slip ons just to make noise just take your cans off same thing and you will save $600. The Busa is a pig I would install a nice light weight 4-1 and save the 20-30# the bike will handle sooooo much better . and yes the hp gain is there but who care about WOT unless you race what you all forget is the smooth rideability the tuning does

If your not RACING get a set of slip-ons...4-6 HP less....you don't need.
So let me get this straight, you actually lose HP on the GenIIs if you go with slip ons without a re-tune of some sort? :dunno:

D

OK all, thanks again.
But let's assume I really want to save the weight and go to a 4 to 1 system for appearance sake, and I'll have the cash.
I don't really care how much HP I gain nor its cost.
Take that all as a given.
How is the PCIII used then?
Please take a look at my orig questions again (SEE BELOW)
Let's' keep on topic, shall we!?!?!:laugh:

"I don't want to fiddle with the system after I have it on and am wondering which unit will give me the fewest headaches? Do you order them with a specific map for your exhaust system, or do I have to do the download and mapping myself? What do I do if I don't have a laptop?
Do I even need one of these units, or can I just slap on a new exhaust?
What will the negatives be if I do that?"

Lenny

Last edited:
Lenny, What year bike are you talking about? Since you mentioned a R77, Im guessing you have an 08-09.

Greg, Johnny, or someone will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. From reports I have seen, the R77 yosh on an 08 works pretty good without any tuning changes.

Well, I don't have one yet, but I'll buy either an 08 or 09 soon.
When you say: "From reports I have seen, the R77 yosh on an 08 works pretty good without any tuning changes" do you mean that I might not need to use a PCIII or Bazzaz at all?
Or do you mean that I do need one and only need to use the supplied map with no additional tuning.
Please be specific?
I think that everyone who answers this thread assumes that I know what one of these units does and how to use it. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Really folks, when I say I'm a dummy, believe it! :laugh:
Put it in 2nd grade language please.
Thanks,
Lenny

The PCIII and Bazzaz units are ment to manipulate the tune from the factory one provided to one that provides a more correct fuel delivery based on mods or desired performance. I don't know all the details of the Bazzaz, but the PCIII is connected inline with the ECU. It takes the inputs and outputs of the ECU and controls the injectors directly based on programmed information.

I searched a bit and found this thread that should be of interest to you. I've been thinking about buying an Gen II and putting a full Yosh on it myself.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...learned-bunch-about-08-w-ta_gunsurgeon-s.html

Well, I don't have one yet, but I'll buy either an 08 or 09 soon.
When you say: "From reports I have seen, the R77 yosh on an 08 works pretty good without any tuning changes" do you mean that I might not need to use a PCIII or Bazzaz at all?
Or do you mean that I do need one and only need to use the supplied map with no additional tuning.
Please be specific?
I think that everyone who answers this thread assumes that I know what one of these units does and how to use it. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Really folks, when I say I'm a dummy, believe it! :laugh:
Put it in 2nd grade language please.
Thanks,
Lenny
When you are ready to pull the trigger, our pricing is pretty good on everything.

Here were our mapped vs. not mapped numbers for a 2008 black/orange (they must be the fastest color)..

R-77MappedvsECU.jpg

The PCIII and Bazzaz units are ment to manipulate the tune from the factory one provided to one that provides a more correct fuel delivery based on mods or desired performance. I don't know all the details of the Bazzaz, but the PCIII is connected inline with the ECU. It takes the inputs and outputs of the ECU and controls the injectors directly based on programmed information.

I searched a bit and found this thread that should be of interest to you. I've been thinking about buying an Gen II and putting a full Yosh on it myself.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...learned-bunch-about-08-w-ta_gunsurgeon-s.html

Professor, thanks.
That's what I needed to read. Now I get it.:thumbsup:

As for the link to Greg's post, I read most of it and this question is for Greg:
Basically, what I get from that post is that you can just slap an R77 full system on the bike and do nothing else and it'll run fine with very modest power increases. The stock ECU will automatically compensate for the new exhaust with no outside fiddling/mapping/programming?????????
Is this correct?
Lenny

Stock air filter and baffle in you should be fine. For every ounce of power sure fine tune it...

When you say tune, do you mean ya gotta use a PCIII, or just tune the stock ECU?
I appreciate you all trying to help me, but please be very specific.
Lenny

Back