PCIII map - dyno shop wants $200

Haelo

Registered
The local dyno shop wants $200 for a PCIII map.

Is that a good price? Should I look around?

$200 bucks ain't bad - provided that it is a custom map from dyno runs on your scoot. If they are charging you $200 to give you a standard map- I would keep looking.

That's about right, shops in tampa area are running 200-250. just research the shop, a map can make you or break you. seeen some good ones, and seen some bad ones.

$200 for a Custom map is fair
wink.gif

I charge 250.00 for a custom map for your bike and riding style (no tuninglink)
and you can watch the poit is you need to talk to the tuner to make sure you know what you are getting

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 10 2006,08:00) I charge 250.00 for a custom map for your bike and riding style (no tuninglink)
and you can watch the poit is you need to talk to the tuner to make sure you know what you are getting
Hey JC glad to see you around more . Everything up and running again? Where did you get setup at ? As soon as everything gets calmed down on the home front need to get the GPS done and a custom map . Peace out..

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 10 2006,07:00) I charge 250.00 for a custom map for your bike and riding style (no tuninglink)
JC, Is tuning link the dynojet program that automatically build the maps? If so can you comment more about any negative issues with it?

Professor,
Here is the link from dynojet for your question.

T&L

Don

In addition I have another
rock.gif
?? for you guys that are smarter than me. What is the optimum safe a/f ratio for these bikes? When I go to have the bike dyno tuned in the spring, (the shop does have T&L) I want to know what to shoot for.

It seems to me that tuning for an a/f ratio and living the hp that you get is much safer than tuning for the hp and living with the a/f ratio.

(usn04limited @ Sep. 10 2006,08:35) Professor,

T&L

Don

rock.gif
?? for you guys that are smarter than me.  What is the optimum safe a/f ratio for these bikes?  When I go to have the bike dyno tuned in the spring, (the shop does have T&L) I want to know what  to shoot for.  

It seems to me that tuning for an a/f ratio and living the hp that you get is much safer than tuning for the hp and living with the a/f ratio.
the problem with tuning link is it sets a target A/F for a range and some motors just don't like this.
example you are gunning for 13.5:1 but at 2,500 and 5% throttle the bike as a hiccup and need 10:1 tuning link will never fix this and a monkey using tuning link will not know how to correct the hiccup.
as for safe A/F 14.7:1 is as lean as you want to go(you just won't have any HP)
the key to great map making is getting 14.7:1 where you need it and richer when you need it. this is why a good tuner is worth the money

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 10 2006,13:01)
(usn04limited @ Sep. 10 2006,08:35) Professor,

T&L

Don

rock.gif
?? for you guys that are smarter than me. What is the optimum safe a/f ratio for these bikes? When I go to have the bike dyno tuned in the spring, (the shop does have T&L) I want to know what to shoot for.

the problem with tuning link is it sets a target A/F for a range and some motors just don't like this.
example you are gunning for 13.5:1 but at 2,500 and 5% throttle the bike as a hiccup and need 10:1 tuning link will never fix this and a monkey using tuning link will not know how to correct the hiccup.
as for safe A/F 14.7:1 is as lean as you want to go(you just won't have any HP)
the key to great map making is getting 14.7:1 where you need it and richer when you need it. this is why a good tuner is worth the money
JC,
So would tuning link do a decent job of getting you a baseline for an experienced qualified operator to tweek?

Don

I think the biggest problem finding a "experienced qualified tuner". I'm sure there are those out there that can't match the map that the tune link provides. This is the reason, I'm still running a stock airbox. I'm very happy with the tune that is in it now. Until I can get it to someone (like yourself) that would put the time and effort in to tune it correctly, I'm leaving it alone.

Thanks JC

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 10 2006,14:03) sure it would but why pay twice?
Gotcha. There are two shops in the city I am going to get her tuned. I think I willl probably go with the one w/o the T&L software. It stands to reason that the operators there have to be better because they can't use the T&L as a crutch.

JC where exactly are you in TX? I have to drive to get this done, it might be better to just bring her to you.

Don

I'm in south florida, and I heard there is a guy that tunes the bike by riding it and not on a Dyno.
He takes a laptop and tunes the map on the road were he runs the bikes.
People say he is one of the best tuners in the area.

I don't know what he uses to get his readings though.

(Busa Dreamin @ Sep. 23 2006,17:03) I'm in south florida, and I heard there is a guy that tunes the bike by riding it and not on a Dyno.
He takes a laptop and tunes the map on the road were he runs the bikes.
People say he is one of the best tuners in the area.

I don't know what he uses to get his readings though.
think about what you said for a moment....................................................................................
.................................................................................

I said he does his tuning by riding the bike on the street.
I was told that he makes adjustments with a laptop after the ride.
I am guessing that something is telling him AF readings.

Thats what I said, I understand what I said. Did I ask the question wrong?

Of course I am not a tuner, just trying to get a understanding.

It seems that with the ram air scoups that tuning the bike on the street would give the best tune.
Just asking a question here.

Thanks

Back