pc vs. ecu reflash?

metric03

Registered
I have an 03 buse with some basic modifications (flapper air box mod, custom air filter and the exhaust has been cut just before the collecter). I don't see any more mods going into the bike, power wise at least, and was wondering what the benefits of the power commander would be over using say a Teka box if the person doing the tuning was capable of using both, the only reason I ask is that it would cut the cost by more then half, thanks guys.

the teka is a one shot deal. Based on your mods AND that you never plan on changing anything again (other than appearance) this isn't a bad option. The benefit of a power commander is that you can modify the tune anytime you want.

no I meant it as the dealership owns the teka hardware. They hook it up and make minor broad adjustments to the fuel map and then that's it. You don't have a map or anyway of adjusting/changing the settings they've done. The next time you need changes they would have to remove the changes and start over from scratch for another overlay fuel map.

With the variety of tuners on the market I don't know why anyone would want the dealer to use a teka on their bike for tunning. If you want to go very cheap, very basic then just get one of those juice boxes that only allow low/mid/high adjustments. The prices for a used power commander is so cheap that I don't know why someone wouldn't just pick one up so they can make more precise adjustments.

The most precise would be the ecu editor which only requires a small hardware kit that smithabusa (boost by smith) provides. :bowdown:

So with a Teka, once the ecu is flashed it cannot be flashed again? Is that how that works?

A teka box is an easy way to adjust your A/F mixture via your ECU. A PC does basicly the same thing by being piggy backed onto your ECU and fooling it into doing things it's unaware of. A teka box actually adjusts the ECU itself.

You can take the money you'd spend on a PC and put that towards a teka box of your very own. They are not very expensive. The best part of owning a teka box is you can use it on any suzuki motorcycle to adjust the ECU. You also have the capablilty of adjusting the ECU on the fly which is a very handy asset.

We got off the PC gravy train a long time ago and tune all our bikes including our race bikes with a TEKA box. It's rare to find a PC on the race track now days. Almost all the racers have abandoned the PC for the Teka box.

However, the only real way to tune your bike to perform at it's best is by use of a dyno, no matter which method you use "Teka Box or PC". As far as I know there is no way of adjusting your ECU to it's maximum performance without the use of a dyno.

Last edited:
Back