pc v5 junk for dyno tune?

donaldg

Registered
I called jd motorsports in Bethlehem pa for dyno tuning. I heard they were good. When trying to make an appointment the guy said they don't take appointments for pc v5 because it's junk and they can't get the bike right. Is that a normal response to the v5? I never heard anything bad about them

Ok so did you ask him what his shop prefers to tune with?? I'm curious to know what they use seeing how most shops won't put a bike on a Dyno without a power commander.....

Don't know for sure but that name sounds familiar and if memory serves me correct that place is bad news. I think a member was complaining about that shop a while ago. Don't quote me on that but it sounds familiar

About 2 years ago, my turbo was tuned with PC5 which actually had to replace PC3 because PC3 would not allow some things or was acting up.

Sounds like a shop to stay away from to me.
Any reputable or halfway decent tune shop should have the ability to work with a Power Commander.

btw, doesn't the v5 have an o2 sensor input? I thought the improvement of the 5 over the 3 was that you could do real time dynamic tuning of the fuel maps.

I called jd motorsports in Bethlehem pa for dyno tuning. I heard they were good. When trying to make an appointment the guy said they don't take appointments for pc v5 because it's junk and they can't get the bike right. Is that a normal response to the v5? I never heard anything bad about them

Are you sure you talked to someone in their service department? If so, they don't have a clue, stay away. If you can't properly tune a pc, you can't tune anything.

Mysql- dyno tuners use their own O2 sensors, and even though you could set up a PCV to "autotune" with an O2 in your exhaust, autotune is junk and always will be, no matter who makes it. We keep a number of O2 sensors on hand - every O2 is tested for accuracy prior to tuning and the sampling setup calibrated. We rely on the quality and accuracy of our equipment every time we tune; the investment is not cheap, but the results are priceless. I would never open another bike facility without it . . .:laugh:

I have an Autotune module with sensor for my PCV. Never used it. Got the bike dyno tuned and it has been running perfectly since. I don't recommend people waste money on the autotune unless they race and need to really fine tune the bike or adjust it to different elevations and temp conditions. Otherwise a good dyno tune is all you need.

I think you have that backwards. Autotune is the DIY method that will not be as good as a dyno tune.

You will find several opinions out there on what to use and what not to use. I am not a fan of add-ons such as Dynojet or Bazzazz preferring to use Woolich/ECU Editor along with my tuner. With that said the PCV is a proven piece of tackle, it does a good job and I think to call the PCV junk and say you can't tune right with it tells me more about that shop than anything else.

That guy was probably right. He can't tune with a PCV. He apparently doesn't know what he is talking about. Steer clear.

PC-5's are far from being junk.

Sure they can't do some of the tricks an ECU hack will but they are
fine for what they are old for.

I say anyone who bad mouths PC's or Flashing isn't that hot at what they are doing.

Back