Pastrana's New Year's Eve Jump

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
Here it is, as reported by the NY Times:

DECEMBER 31, 2009, 10:27 AM
Pastrana Attempts Rally Car Jump Record

By JIM MOTAVALLI
Garth Milan/Red Bull Photofiles Travis Pastrana testing at Lake Elsinore, Calif., for his New Year’s Eve jump.

On New Year’s Eve, Travis Pastrana will “test the laws of physics†and get airborne in a Subaru Impreza STI for Red Bull’s annual New Year’s event, “Red Bull: New Year. No Limits.†The goal is to break the 171-foot world record for the longest distance jump in a rally car.

Mr. Pastrana, a four-time champion in the Rally America series, expects to take off from a ramp on the Pine Street Pier in Long Beach, Calif., and travel 40 to 50 feet above the water, landing on a floating barge in Rainbow Harbor. If he falls short, according to a Red Bull spokesman, Jordan Miller, waterborne rescue crews will be standing by.

Mr. Pastrana, 26, said in a phone interview that the approximately 250-foot jump turned out to be “a lot bigger than it looked when I drew it up on a napkin.†His motivation, he said, is topping previous “No Limits†stunts (the event is in its third year). Mr. Pastrana said he also considered jumping into a stadium and hopping over a freeway. He crashed one of the rally cars during testing, but he remains upbeat. “The car disintegrated, but I’m doing O.K.,†he said.

Mr. Pastrana, a former motocross and supercross phenom, said his passion remains racing. And he asserted that the jump, which will put a fleet of Subarus through extreme testing, “is helping progress rallying as a sport.†The jump car has had $250,000 in modifications, adding horsepower, a stiffer suspension and a roll cage. But Mr. Pastrana said the car is still “street legal.â€

Red Bull and ESPN, which will televise the event live, are presumably getting what they wanted: not rally research, but an entertainment spectacular, albeit one that will last only a few seconds.

“Red Bull: New Year. No Limits†will be presented by ESPN and ESPNHD on Dec. 31 at 11 p.m.

Picture 1.png

He has the guts + the money backing him...his shows are usually right on the edge of going to the hospital.

thanks for the video :thumbsup: pretty cool, that guy always does the insane stuff :laugh:

I almost hate to say this, but after watching it, it was somewhat underwhelming compared to what he's capable of. His backflip on a dirtbike from rooftop to rooftop was far, far more incredible. I think that was the only stunt I've seen him do where he flat out said he wasn't going to do it again.

I can't find a clip of it online (it's been pulled everywhere) but it might be on the nitro circus website in one of the full episodes.

The funny part was seeing him crach into the barrier at the end. if you look closely, you can see the passenger's side airbag go off.

Thats sick! I had forgot he was doing that last night, I missed it live. So he broke Ken Blocks record, I wonder what Ken will do next...

that was great..... Travis does not really surprise me anymore..:laugh:

BUT ,,, I think in like Robbie Madison's jump better

edit...... should say JUMPS

Last edited by a moderator:
Last years Robbie Madison jump was the best ever no boubt about it! I was cringing with the hair standing up on the back of my neck when he came off Arc de Trump...my only regret was not being there to witness the greatest jump live. Travis is cool and I've had him on my show and I really like what he did but jumping a car with a roll cage is really comparable to the Madison New Years Eve jump last year. Posters are correct both men have big cajonnes!! Glad Travis was afe and no drama .

Back