Passing your bike test

newman

Registered
Whats it like having to pass your bike test the in usa (I know it must be different in different states, or is it?). My girlfriend is 46 and as I'm getting a busa soon she wants a bike too. The test here in the uk is to take a compulsory basic training test this takes 1 day then a therory test, then a direct accsess course which can take 3 to 5 days, then a on bike test which takes 20 to 60 minutes then you get your licence. So I am interested what it is like over there. I think this is a good thing for someone who hasn't rode before but It's so much different from when I took My test in 1977, the guy just walked around the street looking at what I was doing then told me to do a emergency stop when he walked out in front and to the side of me then asked me some questions and that was that. I did feel sorry for one of my friends though he took his test in the rain and at the emergency stop skidded and run over the test man and the guy failed him. Thanks Dave.

LOL I need to take the MSF course the Alabama motorcycle license is a joke I mean it was probably good back in the 70's but I literally read through it in 20 minutes took my test and passed :laugh:

Here in Utah they have a stupid slow speed course in a very tight parking lot. My Triumph won't even fit through the course! They have a couple of tight turns that even turned to the peg and leaning my bike wouldn't even think about it. I could do it on a bicycle though! Once the Busa gets assembled I will have to see if it is easier to get through the course. The Daytona outweighs the Busa by 25# dry, big bike.

For big bike owners they have another course you can take that costs more money and takes more time but eliminates the mini-course requirement. Gee, maybe REVISE THE EXISTING COURSE? Nah, not here.

4500 miles last year without a scratch on a temporary motorcycle license...but I can't make her dance in a living-room sized course. Maybe I can't ride...???

Idaho has a low speed course. I am friends with the guys who do the MSF course and the guys who do the license test. The course is so tight you have to have some good skills to get one of the bigger bikes through the course. The evaluator claims he can do it on his Harley, I think I am going to have to crash one of his test days and have him prove it.

The funny thing about Idaho is you can take the ridding test on a Honda 90 step through and the next day get a CBR 1000.

I think Washington has a stepped license where you need to take the test on a bike larger then 650CC to get an unlimited license. I am sure some one will correct me if my info is out of date.

Here in Utah they have a stupid slow speed course in a very tight parking lot. My Triumph won't even fit through the course! They have a couple of tight turns that even turned to the peg and leaning my bike wouldn't even think about it. I could do it on a bicycle though! Once the Busa gets assembled I will have to see if it is easier to get through the course. The Daytona outweighs the Busa by 25# dry, big bike.

For big bike owners they have another course you can take that costs more money and takes more time but eliminates the mini-course requirement. Gee, maybe REVISE THE EXISTING COURSE? Nah, not here.

4500 miles last year without a scratch on a temporary motorcycle license...but I can't make her dance in a living-room sized course. Maybe I can't ride...???

What?!?!?! It is the MSF course. It isn't any smaller than anywhere else. There is not a larger range, it is the same range for all bikes.

Back