Passing other bikers- no etiquette for

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
I haven't been riding that long, so excuse the ignorance but is there no generally accepted etiquette for a biker to wave a faster biker by and scoot over to facilitate the process?
rock.gif

This happens a LOT with the roads we have around here, and I begrudge NO ONE to come around and enjoy a leisurely sightseeing cruise through the countryside. But tell me, when a rider suddenly just APPEARS in your rearview do you not wave them by you rather than SIT there in the middle or left side of the lane complacently blocking progress?
cursin.gif

I have followed someone up to five minutes just waiting for common sense (or courtesy) to set in, but nope, never happens.

banghead.gif

i dont wave them around. never heard of that. cars dont wave each other buy.
not trying to be a azz just pass them.

I dont usually pass another bike on a two lane unless I ask first. I use the FTP and if no response, then I will wait for a safe spot and go on around. At least I tried to be courteous.
beerchug.gif

I just pass but not full out, and I like to put my hand up and give a wave. Then I get on with my business.

Out in the country,I've had cagers and bikes [harley/cruisers] wave me by when I'm on the busa.Doesn't happen very often.When I'm on the VTX,I always wave sport bikes by.If it's not clear,I'll move to the right of the lane and let them pass me in my lane,no big deal.
On the open road when when cruising hard,I don't care what kind of sport bike it is,liter bikes or 14's,they move over when they see the busa coming,don't want no part of running a busa.gsxr1k6 is the only liter bike I've seen that will run hard down south,the others just move over.
I give the same respect to the tire spreaders[run the curves like on a track]they move over on the open road for me cause they can't keep up,I wave them by in the twisty's cause I refuse to shread tires on the street.It's safer when everyone works together whether you know them or not.

I just wait for a open an just ease by them and give a freindly wave. I did have one guy come up on me hard one day and I just eased over to the right to give him plenty of room to come on by but he never did.

I will wave people to pass me if I am just cruising... But I have noticed that most people make it difficult for you to pass when you are ripping along... I just wait for a safe line and zip by as safely as I can... What is funny is that I notice more cage's letting me pass than harley's which I find odd to say the least. I always try to excercise some form of courtesy though when passing. I just frigging hate it when someone blows by at triple digits a few inches off my hip. Karma, karma , karma....

I seldom have a biker wave me by. Occationally a cage will pull off and let me pass. But generally, being on a Busa I don't need them to do anything but be consistent and I can get around them in short order. I hate it when they crawl around the corners and stand of the gas in the straights.

Rule of thumb around here is - treat each other like you're both in cars.

The law in Texas is that you're entitled to your lane (the whole width) with appropriate distancing front and rear. So, if there were an accident while passing someone, 110% your fault. If someone passes you and an accident occurs, 110% their fault.

With that said, I don't wave anyone around me. I cruise/commute at 80/85mph in a 55-65 area. I run twisties at silly speeds above that. If I'm not going fast enough, either the rider is going way too fast or needs to pass me safely. I'm not a prick though, I do ease over to the side of my lane that I was on as they approached and hold both line and speed allowing them to lane share.

I will move over . After all if they are going fast enough to pass ME !!! Damn !!!

The law in Texas is that you're entitled to your lane (the whole width) with appropriate distancing front and rear.  So, if there were an accident while passing someone, 110% your fault.  If someone passes you and an accident occurs, 110% their fault.

With that said, I don't wave anyone around me.  I cruise/commute at 80/85mph in a 55-65 area.  I run twisties at silly speeds above that.  If I'm not going fast enough, either the rider is going way too fast or needs to pass me safely.  I'm not a prick though, I do ease over to the side of my lane that I was on as they approached and hold both line and speed allowing them to lane share.
I will agree with you on the Texas Law part but as far as not waving riders by that is the courteous thing to do and every where I have ridden in Texas if you are the faster rider then the slower rider waves you by as I do the same if you are a faster rider I scoot over wave them on so the faster rider can pass. So I don't where you are ridding in Texas Bro but you better look around you and see that most people will wave you by here in Texas.

Occasionally I'll flash the highbeam or use the turn signal.
I've been trying to use the turn signal method, at least it shows a bit of courtesy. And if all else fails I'll pass them at warp speed.

Normally the HD guys are the ones that get pissed-off about being passed. They seem to be in never neverland and think the entire road is thiers. I usually get the one finger wave from them as I leave them miles behide.

I've also found that on the highway in the fast lane if you stay directly in cager's side mirror they will move. The Busa uses aerodynamic messaging. I think it sounds like.              Get the **** out of my way you ************ idiot  
laugh.gif

Occasionally I'll flash the highbeam or use the turn signal.
I've been trying to use the turn signal method, at least it shows a bit of courtesy. And if all else fails I'll pass them at warp speed.

Normally the HD guys are the ones that get pissed-off about being passed. They seem to be in never neverland and think the entire road is thiers. I usually get the one finger wave from them as I leave them miles behide.

I've also found that on the highway in the fast lane if you stay directly in cager's side mirror they will move. The Busa uses aerodynamic messaging. I think it sounds like. Get the **** out of my way you ************ idiot
laugh.gif
I think HID's and a Muzzy in second gear help a lot as well...
laugh.gif

I've had several cars just pull off the road...

laugh.gif

On the next clear straight I move to the right side of the lane and that is the signal around here that the passer has been seen and invited to go on by. If they seem unsure a wave will clarify. Slide by on the centerline, wave thanks and go on down the road.
Have had Harley folks gas it and try their best to hold me out in the wrong lane as long as possible. Most cagers are oblivious until you go by and disturb their cell phone conversation.

The law in Texas is that you're entitled to your lane (the whole width) with appropriate distancing front and rear. So, if there were an accident while passing someone, 110% your fault. If someone passes you and an accident occurs, 110% their fault.

With that said, I don't wave anyone around me. I cruise/commute at 80/85mph in a 55-65 area. I run twisties at silly speeds above that. If I'm not going fast enough, either the rider is going way too fast or needs to pass me safely. I'm not a prick though, I do ease over to the side of my lane that I was on as they approached and hold both line and speed allowing them to lane share.
I will agree with you on the Texas Law part but as far as not waving riders by that is the courteous thing to do and every where I have ridden in Texas if you are the faster rider then the slower rider waves you by as I do the same if you are a faster rider I scoot over wave them on so the faster rider can pass. So I don't where you are ridding in Texas Bro but you better look around you and see that most people will wave you by here in Texas.
I ride in commuter traffic 90% of the time. Waving another biker around you in rush hour is like playing Russian Roulette with the revolver half full; something bad is bound to happen.

Add to that manners only go so far, they don't remove obstacles in the roadway. Wave the guy around then suddenly need to shift in the lane to avoid a hub cap or other debris and you've got the beginnings of a bad day.

In Dallas, there isn't too much of that going on around here for those reasons. Like I said, I won't wave them by in rush hour. If it's not rush hour they have room to pass in another lane. If they choose to lane share and pass, I allow them to do so with no ill will.

IMO -commen courtesy is to wave them by. Most don't. If I'm behind a slower rider and they don't wave me by, I give a courtesy "beep" and pass at a safe speed (got the megaphones and don't want to scare them).

Funny thing is I get more cars/trucks that pull over and let me by then fellow riders.

Once I hit the twisties, I am the first one to get over to the right a bit and wave the guys behind me by
smile.gif
I don't want to hold anyone up from knee dragging
tounge.gif

Can't say anyone's ever had me breathing down their neck to pass 'em
laugh.gif

Back