Parting out or should I sell it as a whole?

I am thinking of parting out my 99 project bike. It runs and rides right now, has 11,000 miles on it. I have all new body panels and tires new fork seals for newer style forks ( 2004 ) and a few odds and ends that are new.

Bike is complete and running. Clean clear title.

Do you guys think I should part it out, or sell it as a project to someone else.

I figured the motor was probably worth atleast $1500? Am I off on this? And the frame was probably worth atleast $500-750 ? I am not sure if the bike woudl sell for much more than this even with all the new parts? All new body panels, though they are China panels. Bike was a stolen recovery and the panels where all taken off it.

Any input on selling as a whole or parting, I would appreciate it. I know these things are worth money both ways, but faster and easier is the best way for me LOL.

Thanks
Todd

You could sell some mods individually for sure,but a whole running bike that a buyer could ride away on... no brainer.

If its a roach and nobody wants it as a whole,then yer gonna have the hassle of the part-out. Tear down,advertising,cleaning,packaging,shipping,its all a giant hassle.Factor in things like shipping materials,time,fuel to get to the post office,answering texts,emails...

Believe me I know. Shipping a whole bike out a peice at a time. No thanks.

RSD.

You could sell some mods individually for sure,but a whole running bike that a buyer could ride away on... no brainer.

If its a roach and nobody wants it as a whole,then yer gonna have the hassle of the part-out. Tear down,advertising,cleaning,packaging,shipping,its all a giant hassle.Factor in things like shipping materials,time,fuel to get to the post office,answering texts,emails...

Believe me I know. Shipping a whole bike out a peice at a time. No thanks.

RSD.

I run a custom gun shop, with all the tools, space and ability to part it out without a real hassle. I would just be ebaying or advertising the parts here. Shipping I have a ups account that picks up daily. So no hassle there. The only real hassle to me would be tearing it apart. Which would be about 4 hours of time I have to factor in. Plus the advertising time, that is a pain sometimes to answer emails about it. But I make all my descriptions as detailed and extensive as possible with plenty of pictures that way there is no emails pretty much you either want it or not from teh description and pictures.

But I totally understand. I guess I am wondering, if I put it back together as is, running riding bike needing tires and putting the new body on it, would it be worth $3000? Or am I going to part it out and make $2000 in a day and a half and then take 6 months to get the other $1000.....

I am located in Michigan.

you wouldnt get 3000 for a rough busa needing tires and a lot of work round here. I spent 4000 for a perfect 02 with 3500 miles on it that needed nothing. I would part it out completely if i was you. Specially on the org here you would be surprised how well it dissapeard. Thoug as rub said pain in the butt

I guess it would depend on how bad of shape it's in. Is tires all it needs? Post some pics so we can get a better idea. I bet the cost of some tires is worth the investment so it can sell as a whole.

I guess it would depend on how bad of shape it's in. Is tires all it needs? Post some pics so we can get a better idea. I bet the cost of some tires is worth the investment so it can sell as a whole.

Pics would totally help us. Tires...who cares,Busa's chew up tires like a fat kid chews up chocolate.

You also mentioned plastics. Some guys have had good luck with that chinese krap off ebay. You could drop 500 bucks on that and make her look purdy.

If you have a shop and all that easy access to parting stuff out,stick some kid on the tear down,pay him in parts or something. Then you can continue on with other builds.

RSD.

Need to see some pics. I may be interested. My next project is a drag bike.

P.

Guys, if you reread the original post, I have all new plastics for it, new tires ( though I would probably keep them for my turbo bike , which I ll probably be selling also to finance a new machine for the shop), 2004 forks with new seals and other parts. To be honest, I can leave the forks off, leave the chrome wheels with the crap tires on it, or I could put the black wheels with somewhat decent tires on it, put the plastics on it, put a plate on it and insurance and be riding it. I bought it as a running riding bike needing plastics.

Here it is with the plastics on the front just kind of sitting on it at the time. Click on the picture it will take you to the video of it running.

th_99busarunning7-13.jpg

So lets say I sell it as a project the way it sits, you have to put the plastics on, mount the ram air tubes and dumb stuff like that. Put on tires ( I would rather keep the new ones for my Turbo, which as said earlier is probably going on the chopping block also ), fix a few small items like the gas cap and be off riding on a strong running Busa for cheap that would look like almost new because of the all new body panels and chrome wheels. Front fork seal needs to be replaced, but heck I think if I could get $2500 for it with all the parts ( the forks included ) I would be happy right now. Just to get it out of my sight. That would be all new panels, new radiator ( in box still ) the 2004 forks with the new seals installed ( just need to be filled with your favorite oil ) and all the odds and ends small stupid pieces I have that I accumulated that I wont use on the turbo bike.

You guys think that would be fair ?

th_99busarunning7-13.jpg

You should be able to get 3k for it with the parts. List it at $3500 and see what ya get. Use the new tires as a last ditch price bargain to keep them from goon too low on you.

Do you think $3500 obo is worth while to ask for it ?

I guess I don't want to sound like one of those guys.... tell me how much its worth. I know what its worth, which is whatever someone will give you for it. And I know I won't sell it for less then $2500 because I know it a few major parts on it, its worth that. I know it runs good and shifts good ( from what I ve ridden it , which isn't 10,000 miles or anything, but enough to test it out ).

My question I quess is more of , $3000 do you think it would sell fast, or do you think I am going to get people that are going to try and beat me up on the price. Its clean title, good running with new parts. But it needs assembly.

Thanks in advance guys!

Todd

Thanks guys I wrote that as you were responding. I think thats what I ll do with it. After this sells as much as I hate to say it, I am going to list my Turbo bike too. I just need money down on a new machine and I would rather sell the bikes, because the machine will make money and I ll buy them back next summer when I am ready.

All in all I ll be selling three bikes. The 99, 01 Turbo and the 99 Vmax. That should get me around $12,500 to 15,000 between the three, depending on how long I hold out. But I think $12,500 would be good enough for me to sell things quickly.

Thanks
Todd

Back