Paranoid about my new Busa

drewwerd13

Registered
I just got a 2003 Hayabusa 2 weeks ago.  I've already got 850 miles on it.  I'm working on breaking 'er in.  I'm taking the RPM's higher and higher.  I've gotten the RPM's up to 7500.  I'll probably wait till I hit 1000 miles to go over 8000.  There's a couple of sounds that bug me.  I'm not too concerned because the guys at Suzuki test drove it and told me it's working perfectly.  But I want to ask you guys about these sounds and see if anybody else has heard the same thing...

1.  It has a high pitched whistle when it's idling.  Chaning from low beam lights to hi beam makes the whistle change tones so I'm assuming it's kind of an electrical thing.  Does anybody else have a whistle?

2.  When I take the RPM's up over 6 I hear a sound like there is some plastic rattling under the handle bars.  It's a very high pitched rattle that doesn't sound very good.  Has anybody else ever heard this?  What could it be?

Sorry for such a long post.

1 sorry never heard of this one.
2 Some guys have this and found it to be the windscreen vibrating.

the high piched whine during idle is normal. it is the load on the alternator/generator.
idle the bike, hit one of your brakes, and you will notice the change in pitch. that is caused by the current draw by the brake light. nothing to worry about.

This is how to get rid of the rattling noise. Its your windscreen. Take out the 2 screws near your mirrors holding yoru windscreen in. Then take out the rubber grommets (they are kinda long, and sometimes can be tough, just pull hard, they will come out). Once those 4 items are out, you can safely slide the windscreen out over the gas tank.

Take some strips of electrical tape, and put 2 layers of electrical tape on the "flashing" of the windscreen. The flashing is the pieces of windscreen that are hidden under the plastics. Once you have 2 layers of electrical tape around the flashing, gently insert the windscreen back into the frame, and put in the grommets and screws. You should notice that noise will dissapear. You will have to do this with ALL hayabusa windscreens, oem and aftermarket

Let me know how it works out

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'll let you know how that turns out.

Do you know where I can get one of those wide screens that come up higher than the stock shield? I am 6' 4" and my head is taking a beating when I ride on the freeway!

yea get a zero gravity Daytona Style windscreen, it's what I put on mine. Some people like it, some people hate it, but for me I personally love it. It gives so much wind protection and it's so much more comfortable. The only disadvatage is that you dont feel your speed anymore. You can take your bike up to top speed, and not feel any wind at all. It's smooth as silk airflow over your helmet. let me post some pics

Mike

DSC00582.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a pic of my stock windscreen, notice the duct tape around the edges to prevent squeaking

Mike

DSC00594.JPG

Thanks for the info on the ZeroGravity. My Bro was concerned with the noise. I bought one anyway. I ride without a helmet most of the time and wanted some deflection at higher speeds

Thanks Mike! I'll let you know how that turns out.

Do you know where I can get one of those wide screens that come up higher than the stock shield? I am 6' 4" and my head is taking a beating when I ride on the freeway!
Drew: You need a Power Bronze Double Bubble. Don't waste your money on a Zero Gravity DB. The PB DB is thicker and vibrates less. Both look good, I like the PB DB though. You can get them off the web or at most any MC shop. Here is a picture of mine. Take care!
cool.gif

PB1.jpg

Mike: You really shouldn't post pics like that on this site. Captain, and others, me included, don't like that stuff on this site. The attemp here is to keep it PG rated.... at the worst. Thanks man. Just my .02.
glare.gif

Ok, so I have to choose between the Power Bronze Double Bubble (PB DB) and the ZeroGravity. Does the PB DB provide as much wind protection as the ZeroGravity? It looks lower.

Back