Pair Valve mod

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey friends, who has done the pair valve mod and whats it for? How do I ...

Thanx - Kent

Hawaii.. if you're talking about the PAIR valve removal, I'd say anyone who's put on a full aftermarket exhaust system will have done it, including me. It's easy enough to do.. you remove it, then block off the ports on the engine. It's used for emissions. Easy to do once you remove the stock exhaust.

Thanx Peter, I did my own Yoshi full system install but didnt block off the pair valves - maybe I better go back in surgery
smile.gif

Probably a good idea. It's my understanding that if you don't do this, you'll be lookin' at flames coming out the pipes, possibly... that wouldn't be good!! Brock sells 'em, so does Veltune (Brock's, but a little less than Brock sells them for), and so do others, if you haven't bought them already.

Hawaii:  here's a picture of my BDE blockoff plates installed.  You need to remove the 4 PAIR tubes from the engine, the 2 hoses, and then the Valve itself which is held on with 3 bolts. You also need to plug the 2 openings where the 2 hoses came out of (one on the airbox, 1 on the #4 throttle body - all instructions and parts come with Brock's set of plates).

Hope this helps.

<!--EDIT|Haywood
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084310231 -->

Installed_PAIR_blockoff_plates.jpg

Yeah Kent. I just put on my new Micron full race exhaust last Friday. Did the pair valve removal and air box mod at this time. It's real convenient with the headers off. It's possible to do the pair removal without removing the header, but it will be a beeeotch. Will definitely bust some knuckles doin' it that way. My suggestion is to block off a Saturday afternoon and get under there and do it. To really make the job go smoothly, you should probably remove the front wheel also. Then all you'll need to do is remove the radiator, oil cooler, and their respective lines/hoses. Drop the headers and it will be simple as wiping a babie's ass
biggrin.gif
. Good luck and have fun. If you've never done it before, it may be a little bit of a hassle, but it's really nothin' at all. Keep ya head up!

Aloha from Louisiana... Brian

Good tip for anyone thinking of doing this mod is to put a piece of cardboard over your radiator so you don't jack up the fin (it's tight in there). Someone gave me this idea after (of course)! I did mine.

Good tip for anyone thinking of doing this mod is to put a piece of cardboard over your radiator so you don't jack up the fin (it's tight in there).  Someone gave me this idea after (of course)! I did mine.
Me 2!
tounge.gif
hahahaha and thanx Brian too for the info. Now 1 more question : Purpose? more HP? Better running? what?
rock.gif

2 foot flames coming out the pipe(s).. bad mojo if you don't remove it... so, I guess we could call it 'better running'.
biggrin.gif

As explained to me by an instructor at MMI.

The only reason to do the pair valve mod is to save 1-1/2 lbs of weight. What the pair valve does is inject fresh air into the exhaust system to dilute the exhaust and fool the analyzer into thinking the bike is running cleaner than it really is (the solution to polution is dilution.) Removing the valve & hoses will not give yo any more horsepower.

My bike is stock and the question was asked in this context. I didn't ask him about a bike with headers so I'm not sure what the skinny is.

The only reason to do the pair valve mod is to save 1-1/2 lbs of weight.  What the pair valve does is inject fresh air into the exhaust system to dilute the exhaust and fool the analyzer into thinking the bike is running cleaner than it really is (the solution to polution is dilution.)  Removing the valve & hoses will not give yo any more horsepower.

My bike is stock and the question was asked in this context.  I didn't ask him about a bike with headers so I'm not sure what the skinny is.
Your teacher need to go back to school if he thinks that is how it works.
And now you know why new Motorcycle Tech suck at dealers with teaching like this.
The reason for it is you inject cold air into a hot exhaust gas it will burn so it will also burn unburnt fuel thus making less emmisions. the reason for the backfire after installing aftermarket exhaust is the unburnt fuel does not get trapped due to free flow air and travels futher down the muffler hit the out side air and Bang you have backfire.

And to think you are paying good $$$ for Bullshit

The only reason to do the pair valve mod is to save 1-1/2 lbs of weight.  What the pair valve does is inject fresh air into the exhaust system to dilute the exhaust and fool the analyzer into thinking the bike is running cleaner than it really is (the solution to polution is dilution.)  Removing the valve & hoses will not give yo any more horsepower.

My bike is stock and the question was asked in this context.  I didn't ask him about a bike with headers so I'm not sure what the skinny is.
Your teacher need to go back to school if he thinks that is how it works.
And now you know why new Motorcycle Tech suck at dealers with teaching like this.
The reason for it is you inject cold air into a hot exhaust gas it will burn so it will also burn unburnt fuel thus making less emmisions. the reason for the backfire after installing aftermarket exhaust is the unburnt fuel does not get trapped due to free flow air and travels futher down the muffler hit the out side air and Bang you have backfire.

And to think you are paying good $$$ for Bullshit
Uh,yea,like he said.If it is used on a vehicle with a cat,it also helps the cat do it's job.

Brock Davidson Enterprises. mine was 58$ and comes with all the goods for a simple install....
cool.gif

If you route this pair valve line from the intake,

then set it up to draw from the crank case,

would it be like a crank case vacuum ?

Has anyone tried it this way on a dyno ?

Red, *<(:{)-

Red funny you would ask this as I was reading this thread because the guy that I got my bike from said that his performance shop re-routed some PAIR lines to the crankcase. I was wondering why this was done but no one has an answer for why the extra time and effort was put into the PAIR removal.

Anyone with 2 cents?

Back