pair valve block off plates

samw5

Registered
wonder if anyone's tried using manifold (car) gasket to cut block off plates gasket. Checked on BikeBandits.com, those go for $3.85 each, tap expensive for a plain gasket. Was thinking about getting some generic one from the auto store and cutting it to fit.

Also in the same topic will I need to replace the exhaust gaskets when installing an aftermarket system? Stock exhaust's never been off. I'm sure it's recommended and probably better, just wondering if people do tend to reuse them. At $5 a pop I'd had to ask the question.

Finally, will every full system out there require some sort of fairing heat resistant material to prevent from melting? Any particular material that you guys would recommend?

Thanks,
Sam

I went to autozone and picked up a roll of gasket material - cut my own for the PAIR plates. easy AND cheap! Oh yeah, I have plenty of material to make enuf gaskets for everyone! LOL!

As for replacing the exhaust gaskets... For only $20 bux, it's cheap insurance to ensure no leaks. I would replace them. Just my
2cents.gif

No, not all systems need any type of heat shield. If there is enuf clearance between the headers/pipe(s) and the fairings, you're OK. Worst case, if you are concerned, you can pickup some stick-on heat shield and apply to the plastics or use some 'header wrap' on the areas that are close...

I just did this, used gasket material from O'Reilly's and 1/8" aluminum bar stock from Lowe's. Here's the thread with pics...

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=11;t=80382

My Muzzy did not require any shielding, no problem.

I also bought new exhaust gaskets, they are a crush type of material and subject to degradation. Who wants to install an exhaust system twice??
banghead.gif

ya already got the exhaust wrap but i've seen people having problems even with that on. just wanna be safer than sorry.

thanks for the input!

Back