Pair sucker modification / exhaust smoke

miket97_us

Registered
A friend of mine did the crankcase/pair sucker mod to my '03 Busa. I opted for this since it was cheaper to do than buying and waiting on the blockoff plates. I really don't care about he extra 2-3 hp that some claim you get.

Well for about a month (right after checking sparkplugs), my Busa was blowing smoke out of the exhaust (lots of it at high rev) and you could also smell oil burning almost continuously.

I'm thinking damn, something is really, really wrong. Turns out that the hose used to run from the crankcase to the pair valve was crimped under the gas tank. Well now, guess what happened? Yeah, that's right, now gases are trapped in the crankcase. After building up massive amounts of pressure (around 5-7 rpm), the pressure releases with a nice amount of oil following (because of the pressure). Well, this oil goes shooting into the pair valve and straight out the tail pipe (what a nasty smell and lots of smoke). Second problem was, the hose was resting on my headers (damn). Yeah, so now oil is spilling on my headers and burning off. You know what I am thinking..... So I drop the bike at the dealer and they diagnose the source of the problem. I am pissed, but relieved ($88 bucks later).

Anyway. I decide to take the bike home as is and fix the problems myself. I buy a new heater hose). I buy a 90 degree brass connector from Home Depot (this will illeviate the possibility of the hose crimping under the gas tank). I wrap some heat tape around the part of the hose that is near the headers and I also zip tie it away from the headers (hoping this is good enough).

The dealer told me that they have seen at least one other Hayabusa with this problem. So that's why I am putting this post up here. Hopefully, I can save someone the trip to the dealer to find this out.

I may still decide to go with blockoff plates if in the next couple miles I notice any resemblance of oil coming out of the muffler. But so far smoke has decreased. I think most of what I am still seeing is left over oil in the muffler. Once it burns off, I hope to see no smoke at all.

Anyone aware of any other problems that this mod is prone to cause.

you didn't check it out but you must use something like heater hose and you will only gain HP if you motor is weak.
also it can and will starve the motor of oil at idle. it is not what I would call a good mod

I did the pair removel and i removed the hose from the crankcase to the air box. block offs were used on the motor and i capped off the airbox where the line from the crankcase was connected and i put a small K&N filter on the crankcase and the bike runs much smoother. no oil problems at all.this is in addition to blocking off the 4th. throttle body and the hose from the pair to the airbox,I also did the airbox mod with a EBC filter.

Reading the manual, it said that the Pair valve was only put on the California versions. Is this true, because I have not taken my fairing off to really take a good look?

not to thread jack this or anything, but Fireman and Cycleeric ... havent seen you guys posting in the Deals Gap thread yet
rock.gif
you *are* going arent you
rock.gif
?

rock.gif

Back