PAIR mod without full system?

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
I have Two-Bros bolts ons, PCIIIR, and an Active TRE on a 03'. Can the Pair mod be done even though I don't have a full system? If yes, should it be? Are there any gains without having the full system?
Thanks, JT!

do it....can't hurt...all it does is keep exhaust from getting routed back into the airbox because of emissions. Gains would be you lose a few lbs off the bike.

do it....can't hurt...all it does is keep exhaust from getting routed back into the airbox because of emissions.  Gains would be you lose a few lbs off the bike.
According to cache's post in another thread I was wrong about it recirculating exhaust gas. cache said that the PAIR introduces *fresh* air into the exhuast to reduce emissions. Maybe I didn't understand the PAIR as well as I thought I did. There's no doubt in my mind that cache knows more about this stuff than I do, so my understanding of it may have been mistaken. I just misunderstood the PAIR system I guess.

If you do a full exhaust install I think you have to remove the PAIR valve to avoid backfires. On a stock bike with stock exhuast you shouldn't be having backfires. If removing the PAIR garb doesn't give HP, you'd only be losing a pound or two. Not enough difference to go through the hassle of removing it all if that's the case. Especially if you're trying to remove it with an exhaust in place.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067659838 -->

I have Two-Bros bolts ons, PCIIIR, and an Active TRE on a 03'. Can the Pair mod be done even though I don't have a full system? If yes, should it be? Are there any gains without having the full system?
Thanks, JT!
Still debates on this one. However you don not need to do this mod in my opinion. It is not worth it other then the weight. You can get some additional hp by installing a BMC airfilter to flow the air a bit more. You can also seal the air scoops undr the tank. that can be done by using Mr. clean bottles 16 oz size and duct tape. Do both and you may gain a couple of hp.

k & n will flow similar to the stock so you only gain the ability to clean it.

BMC flows better then both. Go with BMC

A couple of thoughts -

I wouldn't remove the PAIR valve unless you are installing a full exhaust system. If you are changing out the headers and have the fairings off and the headers off, then it is a simple matter to go ahead and remove the PAIR. With just can replacements probably not worth the effort.

You mentioned you have a PC3R and a TRE. The PC3"R" allows changes in ignition timing so you don't need the TRE too. You can make the changes you need to eliminate the timing retard with the PC3"R".

Also, I saw some "test" results on GIXXER.com that showed results on air filter flows, and they rated them as follows for flowing more air:

1. BMC race - more air flow than stock
2. Stock -
3. BMC - less air flow than stock - but reuseable
4. K&N - less air flow than stock - but reuseable

If you look on the site you can form you own conclusions, but this is supposed to be verified with dyno results.

Kent Sheldon

With all this info, not going to do the PAIR mod. Johnycheese gave me a map for bolt-ons and the timing changes that would eliminate the lower end need for the TRE but I have not tried it yet, to cold. The BMC website states that if you use the race filter that you will need to re-map due to the high flow. Johny, if you are watching this thread, does the map you sent me accomodate the BMC race filter?
Here is the snippet from a site:

"RACE" filter

Flows up to 15% more than stock --  MORE AIR = MORE POWER!
Reusable for the life of the vehicle.
PERFECT for race classes that require "stock" replacement air filters!
ABSOLUTELY requires rejetting / remapping!  Don't even try running these filters without!

JT2!

You mentioned you have a PC3R and a TRE. The PC3"R" allows changes in ignition timing so you don't need the TRE too. You can make the changes you need to eliminate the timing retard with the PC3"R".[/QUOTE]

How do you do this and can the pc3r take off the limiter in 6th?

The PCIIIR cannot eliminate the top speed limiter, only a TRE. From a discussion we had in a different thread it sounds like the only draw back to the PCIIIR method is that you introduce the timing changes into all gears, not just 1-3. No word as to what the unecessary timing advance in the other gears is going to do to the engine though?

I'd be interested in hearing more about the PCIIIr/TRE/PAIR mod combination will and will not do. I've got the TRE, mainly for the derestriction, but it does seem to improve the throttle response. I'm on the brink of getting a full system (fmf dual high mount), and I logged in to figure out what to do about the PAIR valve. I'll be getting the PCIIr at the same time as the pipes. What was the final conclusion about rerouting the valve to the crankcase? Will this improve things? and can someone explain the mod a little more? Thanks guys, we all ride the ultimate bike.

Back