Painting vs new plastics...

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
My 2002 could do with either a new paint job or fresh bodywork. ( Kinda like it's owner, come to think of it!!) I would want the same thing blue/black paint scheme, no custom anything, just a re-fresh or is it cheaper to just buy plastics?

I mean all plastics, all around. Well, most, prolly not the front fender and front cowl, but the 2 sides and the tail.

Is it also cheaper to just go with a solid black instead of two tone?

new plastic is expensive. heck 1 side fairing is going to run you $595!! and e-bay plastic looks good in pics but looks like junk up close (that i have seen). single color is always cheaper.
i went to buy some vigor blue w/silver flake and some filler compound all the stuff for a nice paint job for around $400.( turns out i didn't have $400, but that's another story:whistle:) rustolem was on sale at wally world for $.97 a can, only in black or white, i like the black :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I bought some Color Rite, the pen, and now everything that I " touched up" looks like sh*t. What a waste

If you want to stay stock, I'd buy new plastics and sell off your current plastics to help offset the cost.

Please forgive if I name the parts incorrectly....
I need the left side fairing and the whole cowling ( where headlight is housed) repainted. Both will need some sanding on the left side.I have an 06 black and grey.

I brought it into a local bike shop that has their own painter. I was quoted $1,000.00. That seems really high. This does not include the cost of the decal.
Any thoughts on how much that should cost?

I wonder how much more factory plastics really are compared to an entire paint job. I mean. If you wanted to paint it the factory color and you went to a quality place. I dont know if it would be much less. Maybe some but i wouldnt think a lot. I could be wrong. Of course if you were just going with a solid color then I imagine it would be cheaper to paint.

It cost me around $514 for new side plastic, upper and lower right side. Its not cheap. Would I do it again? No

I think painting might be the way to go.

Back