Painting: Should I Wet Sand My Fresh Clear Coat Then Re-Shoot A Final Coat? Help!

wick001

Registered
I just shot 3 coats of clear over my freshly painted fairings, it's been 24 hours. It looks like glass, came out amazing. There are very few dust particals in the fairings, with 1 small run in one, and a couple hardly noticeable sags in another.

My question is should I even bother trying to wet sand these out?

If I do attempt to wet sand these out, obviously the part will no longer be like glass, but a haze. My other question is, If I do wet sand say 1500-2000 grit, If I reshoot a couple final coats of clear, will it bring it back to this amazing shine?

You have to buff it after you wet sand it. It will bring the polish back out.

If you sand it and clear over it it will mess up. Just sand it with 1500 and 3000 and buff it out. Shine like new.

You can sand out the sags and the runs. I use a sanding block for the normal 1500-2000 grit sanding and then buff with two stages a cutting polish and then a finish polish. Always comes out looking like glass. Definately do not re-shoot just take your time sanding, the last thing you want to do is burn through the clear. Also if you are going to try and sand out the sag or the run I wrap my sand paper in appropriate size socket and only sand on the run until it's level with everything else.

If you have never buffed paint before practice on something other than your freshly painted plastics. You have to buff in the direction of the edge....i.e. the rotation of the buffer needs to buff of the edge, try it the other way it will grab, throw parts and it will burn through your freshly painted parts and you will be pissed.

I can't stress enough that you have done all of the hard work now, but the work that requires patience is now here, screw this part up and you start over.

Back