painting my hump ...

Gear Jammer '94

Registered

I finally found a hump for my black/silver '05 but when it came it was that purple that changes color (was supposed to be black). Anyone have any success painting one with spray cans? I've checked local body shops and they want $150 to paint it. I understand it is plastic and requires different prep but would appreciate anyone who has successfully done this at home sharing. BTW, I don't have a compressor. Thanks.

wipe with a prep solvent...it will remove wax / other debris...prep is key...sand for mechanical adhesion...150-300grit for primer...then 300-400grit before the first few coats of color...once the color coats look good...sand with 600-800grit before the last few coats of color...wipe with a prep solvent between coats...tack rag after solvent dries. it is a repetive process...when using spray cans don't try to get gloss coats right off the bat...put down a few medium dry coats...then aim for a gloss coat (it will prevent runs + it will cure faster)...if you see any sand scratches or feel them address them before putting clear on because the clear will maginify the scratches and the result is a waste of your time...once the color coats look cool...smooth, no scratches, and possible use a bright light to ensure that you have coverage...wait a day and put on a few medium coats of clear...again you can sand the clear with 800 grit to knock down some imperfections (be very careful not to break through to the color) and then add more clear

these steps, with practice / spray technique will produce a nice paint job...the majority of the time is prep + keeping the enviro clean...use a fan / mask to keep your lungs clean...at some point painting is the easy part...prep is the hard part / time consuming.

expensive products are more durable + have a higher pigment concentration / flashy effects...if you are doing a soild color you can get a 1 stage color / clear coat...reduces dry times, but might not match your part color.

find a body shop supply for sand paper etc and ask them for tips as well...good luck

as said above..prep is key.

follow RYC's instructions and you should be fine.

If you are looking for exact color check on Colorite site for a spray can of your paint and get their clear also.

Believe me.....black is not just black. White and Black are the hardest colors to match.

pretty easy.. I dont use can products, but for a budget you could get away with using 400 grit only... use duplicolor primer, paint and clear. all materials shouldn't cost you more than $25.00.. if you make a mistake you'll have plenty of paint to re-try.. not alot of money waisted..
I did mine.. (not using can paint though)

busa cover (2).jpg

busa cover  (5).jpg

DSC07922.jpg

wipe with a prep solvent...it will remove wax / other debris...prep is key...sand for mechanical adhesion...150-300grit for primer...then 300-400grit before the first few coats of color...once the color coats look good...sand with 600-800grit before the last few coats of color...wipe with a prep solvent between coats...tack rag after solvent dries. it is a repetive process...when using spray cans don't try to get gloss coats right off the bat...put down a few medium dry coats...then aim for a gloss coat (it will prevent runs + it will cure faster)...if you see any sand scratches or feel them address them before putting clear on because the clear will maginify the scratches and the result is a waste of your time...once the color coats look cool...smooth, no scratches, and possible use a bright light to ensure that you have coverage...wait a day and put on a few medium coats of clear...again you can sand the clear with 800 grit to knock down some imperfections (be very careful not to break through to the color) and then add more clear

these steps, with practice / spray technique will produce a nice paint job...the majority of the time is prep + keeping the enviro clean...use a fan / mask to keep your lungs clean...at some point painting is the easy part...prep is the hard part / time consuming.

expensive products are more durable + have a higher pigment concentration / flashy effects...if you are doing a soild color you can get a 1 stage color / clear coat...reduces dry times, but might not match your part color.

find a body shop supply for sand paper etc and ask them for tips as well...good luck

Thanks for taking the time to break this down for me! Excellent tips. I think I can do this with the link to buy the paint but will price it out as well with the guy that responded that he can do it. I only have $40 invested in the hump and other than the purple, green changing color it's in nice shape!

replied. im a painter by trade guys.

i'll do em straight black for cheap, only way to guarantee a colormatchis if you're going to buy the paint from color rite for me to shoot em with.

Last edited:
Back