Painting Garage Floor

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Well its finally time to get this task checked off my list of things to do... Anyone offer up some addy for doing this? Thinking of buying my supplies from Lowes and doing one bay at a time. Three car garage, so I wanna take my time and get er done right.

From what I've heard the epoxy kits from Lowe's or HoPo work great and their easy.

Put sand in the paint to give it traction. Don't want to dump your bike in your own garage.

Lowes also has Skid Not Paint. I used on my trailer floor and it turnd out great...

Busa_Hauler.jpg

Sonny I have done this on the shop and my garage and my brother in laws 3000sf shop.... The kits from Lowes are good but you will spend more time in prep than anything else... Go buy some muratic acid and made sure you acid wash the floor at least twice... I would recommend 3 times to get it good. If the floor has oil or any debris on it then you will have flaking later. When you wash it make sure you scrub it too with a shop broom, you really need to get all the bad stuff up..... Rinse it all good twice then let it fully dry, wait the extra time and let it get all the water out of the pores of the concrete.

What makes epoxy so good is that when you put it down the first time it will go into the pores of the concrete and bind to it giving you a great base. If you have oil or debri or water is in the pores then the epoxy cant stick....

Once the floor is clean and dry its as simple as rolling the floor with a paint roller, you just have to make sure that you put it on evenly.... If you can swing it do both sides at the same time or you could end up with two different shades of the same color.

Cap

Coating the floor with epoxy is great for looks.  Use bare concrete if you use a welder or cutting torch. If hot metal comes in contact with the floor it will flame up and start a fire. Don't ask me how I know, at that point you might as well have carpeting on the floor.
SHOCKED.gif

Sonny I have done this on the shop and my garage and my brother in laws 3000sf shop.... The kits from Lowes are good but you will spend more time in prep than anything else... Go buy some muratic acid and made sure you acid wash the floor at least twice... I would recommend 3 times to get it good. If the floor has oil or any debris on it then you will have flaking later. When you wash it make sure you scrub it too with a shop broom, you really need to get all the bad stuff up..... Rinse it all good twice then let it fully dry, wait the extra time and let it get all the water out of the pores of the concrete.

What makes epoxy so good is that when you put it down the first time it will go into the pores of the concrete and bind to it giving you a great base. If you have oil or debri or water is in the pores then the epoxy cant stick....

Once the floor is clean and dry its as simple as rolling the floor with a paint roller, you just have to make sure that you put it on evenly.... If you can swing it do both sides at the same time or you could end up with two different shades of the same color.

Cap
So Doug, are you saying to use epoxy or paint?

Like any kind of paiting it's all in the prep work. As the captain stated, clean it, clean it again, and when you're done with that clean it again. I used a degreaser and wire brush and hand brush (stiff bristle) to try and get as much as possible before using the acid. After that I cleaned it all again. Each time I soaked and hosed down the floor I would set my big ol' fan and let it dry. I even used my vacuum afterwards to make sure there wasn't anything blown onto the floor.

After all the prep work the painting is a breeze. Even coats and try and get it all done in one shoot. Apply the anti skid flake right after rolling the paint. It drys prety quick. Mines lasted for years and only recently flaked a little in the spot where my hot tires would touch.

The epoxy fllor is a huge benefit to have anytime you have any spills. They come right off.
beerchug.gif

Sweet thanks for all the advice and Doug I'm going to listen to your words of wisdom. Just got done cleaning my garage in preparation for this event. Going to power wash it out and then do as instructed three or so times... Looks like I got my work cut out for me. I'll take some pictures both before, during, and after. Thanks again everyone! Checking that site out right now Brian, thank you sir.

NP, the product works great, we did it in a buddy's garage, looks amazing
beerchug.gif

make sure you use something made for garage floors like the epoxys mentioned above. And like above, make sure you do an excelent job with the prep work. Regular paint will come up when your hot tires sit on it. It's called heat transfer.

Back