Painting exhaust

So you want to paint your exhaust so it can bubble up, fade, crack, and peel off and look like total :moon:?? Ask around the only way to go is ceramic coating..............

Man thats a great idea and it will look awesome!!! Just paint it your favorite color just dont start the bike and roll it around to show off your new purteeee painted exhaust.

If you want it a different color your going to have to ceramic plate it with a company like nitroplate.com

I read around the web with mixed reviews. Some say the 2,000F paint or the BBQ grill paint. I was just throwing around the idea but seems like others on here must have had some bad experiences.

I read around the web with mixed reviews. Some say the 2,000F paint or the BBQ grill paint. I was just throwing around the idea but seems like others on here must have had some bad experiences.

I have some r77's that I painted the mid pipes black with high temp paint as soon as I got them and after several thousand miles, still look like the day a did them. I figured if it peeled off after a few days I was just out a few bucks and I could take them to get ceramic coated. I'm glad I tried the paint first.

Just my 2cents!

Here is what I used. Just clean them and sand them a little and spray

image-3317869231.jpg

A couple of years ago, I repainted the black headers on my Katana 600 GSXF with Rust-oleum high heat paint and the headers still look great. If you make sure that all of the dirt and grease is cleaned off of your exhaust, it should work fine. The exhaust doesn't get nearly as hot as the headers.

I just painted mine with grill paint too, let us know what you do. Ceramic coating is the best option though

No issues with the high temp paint. Ceramic is best of course but obviously you probably already knew that. I purchased 18g megaphones from Cone Engeneering and cut them down, sanded and painted with high temp. Once dried, it will smoke the first couple of times it gets hot. After that, the paint sets in good and your off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted stock cans that I cut down with high temp paint. I ran them for over a year without any problems. :thumbsup:

I paint the exhaust on my old katana with high heat ceramic header coating and when I sold the bike after putting around 5k on it they looked as if I painted them the day it was sold. It held up great.

No issues with the high temp paint.

Ceramic is best of course but obviously you probably already knew that.

I purchased 18g megaphones from Cone Engeneering and cut them down,
sanded and painted with high temp.

Once dried, it will smoke the first couple of times it gets hot.

After that, the paint sets in good and your off.

That's the key right there . . .

It needs a heat cycle ?

Then it's cured !

Red,

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going to give it a shot. Ceramic is better of course but if I can get the high temp paint to work then I save $245.

Ok so I had some things I do but I am back to working on the bike. I just pulled all of the fairings off so I can drop them off to be painted. In the mean time I want to paint my exhaust, pegs and anything else that is not black to black. I was thinking if cleaning them all up and taping them off and painting them right there on the bike.

Thoughts?

+1 on the foot pegs thats just like painting levers, too much contact and wear and tear will eventually rub the paint off and have your bike looking chitty

Back