Paint question. I guess...

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
I bought a Gsxr1000 front fender to mount to the mighty 'Busa, and its all scratched up. Deep scratches in some places. I'm gonna wet sand it (at least try to) and see how it looks. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to add some filler in a couple of the deepest grooves. My question is if I paint it, how long do you think it will last looking nice without clear coat? I have the ability to paint it decent, but no clear. Just wondering what everyone thinks. I have a "friend" that is a painter, but I know he'll charge me more than I have into this fender..

What are your thoughts? Will it look okay for a season or two without clear, or am I stooooopid for even trying it?? :banghead:

Thanks.

Definitely gonna need a bit of filler in the deep grooves. You don't want to sand the plastic down to match the grooves, you want to build them up to match the undamaged areas.

I'd strip it, fill it, prime it, paint it. Make it look nice!

What color do you need it to be?

if your using a solid colour that dosnt need clear coating you wont have a problem , if you use a base coat that does then it wont hold up long :whistle:

If you try, you might be able to sand a lot of the scratches out. Just do not dig in to the fender too much in one spot, or you will see a divot where you did so.

Then I would use some good urethane primer, couple heavy coats should fill the rest. Let it dry for a week or so and then sand it down with 600 grit.

As far as painting it, what are you going to use, a spray can?? I would not shoot base coat and not clear it.

I wasn't going to use a spray can, we have a spray gun at my shop, and a guy who is pretty good at painting, but has never shot clear before. I figured I'd do all the prep, and prime it, then shoot it with an automotive paint with an actual spray gun. Then I was hoping to just wet sand that, and not clear it. I don't know, maybe I'll just bring the darn thing into the body shop and say HERE! :whistle:

if its a straight gloss black you should be able to flat & polish with no probs , clear coat optional !!!!!!!!

it depends if the paint is a single stage, or a 2 stage.....

single stage paint will dry and have a glossy finish. A 2 stage paint needs a clear to give it the glossy finish, the first base coat is will dry into a dull flat finish.

i would just clear it, he shouldnt be charging you no more then $100 for that. small part. very little paint and very little clear. if he is a REAL friend he wouldnt charge you much at all!

I used single stage black paint. it had lots of Orange peel but I wet sanded, used fine cut polish and then swirl remover and it turned out nice. I had no experience at all but got some great advice from the board!
Posted via Mobile Device

If your expecting a season or two out of it i'd just rattle can it. Did that with my last solo cowl and it held up great and the match was almost dead on. Its a small enough part if you need to sand it later and repaint it not a huge deal

i would just clear it, he shouldnt be charging you no more then $100 for that. small part. very little paint and very little clear. if he is a REAL friend he wouldnt charge you much at all!

That's my problem, I can get a brand new factory painted one for $140... :whistle:

If you want to ship that fender to me, I'll have it painted with all of my stuff ( https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/145085-my-99s-makeover-progress.html ) when we spray my black. If you can get it to somewhat close to ready for paint and primered that would be great, then my crazy perfectionist friend will prolly mess with it a bit, then he said he would spray / clear / buff it for ya.

Can't promise it'll match factory black perfectly, but it'll be super shiny!
And free!

I asked him this afternoon if he thought it would be a big deal and he said that was fine. So, there's your offer... just 'pay it forward' some day.

We're a ways off from spraying my stuff, and I can't promise you any sort of exact date you'll have it back. Other than, we have a goal of my bike being done sometime in March.

Now THAT would be awesome! Thanks for the offer! I just might take you up on that offer! I don't care about the actual black color, since my bike is Grey anyway, I'm just gonna throw on a black fender on it.... The timeframe isn't an issue for me either since I'm in Wisconsin, and its not gonna be warm enough here to ride until August (:rofl:) anyway! I'll shoot you a pm in a couple days and we can figure it out. THANKS!:thumbsup:

Now THAT would be awesome! Thanks for the offer! I just might take you up on that offer! I don't care about the actual black color, since my bike is Grey anyway, I'm just gonna throw on a black fender on it.... The timeframe isn't an issue for me either since I'm in Wisconsin, and its not gonna be warm enough here to ride until August (:rofl:) anyway! I'll shoot you a pm in a couple days and we can figure it out. THANKS!:thumbsup:

No problem man! Let me know.

If you want to ship that fender to me, I'll have it painted with all of my stuff ( https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/145085-my-99s-makeover-progress.html ) when we spray my black. If you can get it to somewhat close to ready for paint and primered that would be great, then my crazy perfectionist friend will prolly mess with it a bit, then he said he would spray / clear / buff it for ya.

Can't promise it'll match factory black perfectly, but it'll be super shiny!
And free!

I asked him this afternoon if he thought it would be a big deal and he said that was fine. So, there's your offer... just 'pay it forward' some day.

We're a ways off from spraying my stuff, and I can't promise you any sort of exact date you'll have it back. Other than, we have a goal of my bike being done sometime in March.

Hell of an offer, Members helping Members. :thumbsup: :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Back