Paint 101?

LC4CARL

Donating Member
Registered
I generally prefer the stock paint on bikes. but my bike is getting older and it's starting to show. And then there are all the awesome builds on IG.

I called the local vehicle wrap guy and got the "we don't wrap bikes" response. (I saw a SUPER cool camo bike on IG the other day...)

I have not done much research with local body shops, but I really like the look of a Marboro-themed machine I saw. (Good for 10 WHP...) I think most modern body shops are nearly pure collision work and likely have little interest in a custom job.

Any suggestions? Am I looking at $1k or $3K? Would you do it again?

These are super sexy.

Yeah, lots of cool stuff there to choose from.
Monster fairings will let you customize theirs, get solid colors, or carbon fiber too.
Those companies above probably do as well, because alot of them are made when ordered, and most fairing companies don't keep alot of inventory for cost reasons.
My friends and I have bought several sets from different companies over the years.
None are perfect, but the quality in general has improved alot over the years.

Can't beat the price. I'm sure a respray would cost that. Hang on to the originals for resale day.

We did that with the dirt bikes. Take the shiny OEM stuff off your brand new scooter and install Acerbis or something. Then sell with the pretty OEM plastic on it a few years later.

Last edited:
Yeah, lots of cool stuff there to choose from.
Monster fairings will let you customize theirs, get solid colors, or carbon fiber too.
Those companies above probably do as well, because alot of them are made when ordered, and most fairing companies don't keep alot of inventory for cost reasons.
My friends and I have bought several sets from different companies over the years.
None are perfect, but the quality in general has improved alot over the years.
The quality is about the same as our "local" large paint shop. It's not a factory finish, but from 3' away...looks pretty good! Fitment is the biggest PITA with aftermarket.

How does the gas tank cover work?

It's molded to drop right over the tank and fit like a skin.
You can put clear vinyl over your tank first to protect it from any scratches.
I have seen the covers that go over the tank mounts also, so the tank bolts go through the cover too.
Some covers only have double sided tape, you'll have to ask the manufacturer, but both styles work fine.

Nope
Figure if I can get a good 2000 red OEM color sprayed well for ~2k I will not cry
Hi. I can not take the look of the tank cover. I have seen quite a few and I do not like it. There is a shop near me that does custom paint work on bikes and cars. If any one is interested I can give you there phone number. The are the ones that are doing my bike.

Back