OZ and the popo

blame bill Clinton. He's the one who said the news was entertainment, isn't he? I agree though, knowingly publishing lies or publishing half truths where facts are omitted due to haste or bias should absolutely carry some sort of punitive penalty.

Libel laws are what protects people from printed lies. However, as is typically the case, organizations walk right up to the edge of the standard. For example, there is a distinction between a reporter saying "Johnny did XYZ" and the same reporter saying "I was told Johnny did XYZ" That distinction is oftentimes lost on the general public, but it's the difference between actionable libel and freedom of the press.

If you follow the news, in OZ if news publishes fake news they get raided by the popo. ABC case.

At least they have it right, while I support freedom of speech I don’t support freedom of defamation.
I don't know it was fake news , but because the sources ( whistle blowers ) in this case were hidden protected ( unsubstantiated ) , it leaves itself open to this . The OZ Government wants to find the source of the journo's story because it was about sensitive accusations about Australia's involvement in Afghanistan , that directly involved our Special Forces conduct , and the article was published in 2017 . It has been stated , that this Federal Injunction would not have been able to be conducted , if this situation occurred in the US .

Back