OVERHEATING

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't post much, but i'd like to say how much I appreciate everyone's efforts on this board. Having said that, about six weeks ago, in my first exposure to bumper to bumper traffic, I was stuck for about 25 minutes. During this time, the fan came on at about the middle of the gage. Temp continued to climb until traffic broke at which time needle on gage just touched red and light came on. Temp dropped to middle of gage as soon as I started to drive. Bike did not boil over or lose any coolant at all. I decided I wasn't too comfortable with that situation so I decided to install Evans NPG. Just got done doing that yesterday. Made sure system got flushed and completely filled. Now it seems at idle in garage the system seems to ratchet its way higher and higher. The fan comes on with the gage mid way but it shuts off as soon as needle starts to drop. The needle climbs a little, fan comes on and shuts off as soon as needle drops a little. Keeps doing this ratcheting its way higher and higher til I get scred and shut it off at about 3/4 gage. You guys had anything like this happen? Do you think I should idle up to say 2000 rpm when in traffic? Also when I Talked to Evans the guy mentioned I may have to restrict the flow through the bypass hose. Anybody done this or know anything about it? Once again, really appreciate all your efforts, Thanks

RIBUSA

Do u have an aftermarket exhaust?Are your fan blades melted and lost their pitch?Some Busas get hot.Some dont.I have never had a problem with my over heating.Also check your Airfilter and make sure your radiator is clean on the outside between the fins.

What you discribed with stock coolant is normal in hot weather the bike is not made for idleing.
As for the evans did you make sure you burped
(get the air out) of the system?

Gixx, Bike is a 99, completely stock, 1100 miles.

JC, I was very patient and kept checking and checking to make sure I couldn't add any more. Rocked the bike left and right, squeezed hoses, still full, no air bubbles coming out, can't put anymore coolant in.

Check to see if your Radiator is dirty,check to see if your themostat is clogged.Still check your fan blades.

But then you have to run it till it get HOT then let it get cold and check the radiator again some times 3 times till you have no more air.
Also di you flush the system like Evans said?

I spoke with another member yesterday that had just finished a Evans coolant test and...(to make a long story short) he said that he used a digital guage and that the Prestone coolant was consistantly 20 degrees cooler than the Evans!

He said he'll post the details in the next few days.

(just something to think about?)

Gixx, just checked fan blades and radiator. Fan looks brand new not a scratch anywhere.Radiator has two small, lightweight insects but thats about it. Thermostat? Anytime except traffic or idling appears to be functioning normally (midway on gage).

I also change my coolant over to Evans... It nows overheat in heavy traffic.. Or if the bike sit at idle for too long..
I now have the fan running constant as soon as I turn on the key.. This might not be good for the fan...
But my trips are ussually under 1 hour...
You might want to try that till we all find a solution for it...

my set up is 3oz of water wetter honda pre-mix coolant and muzzy header is hpc coated which is designed to keep a average temp for better combustion my wife and i rode last week for about 70 miles mostly city 90 degrees and humid and the temp. gauge never hit the middle line my fan blade still looks brand new

I went back and read it over again it sounds normal.
The fan is cycling on and off and the overheat light did not come on if i did you sut her off that is normal like I said it is not ment to stand still you need to move air though the radiator.
How does it work while riding it.

A Bottle of Water-Wetter, and a pre-mix 50/50 of Maxima Coolanol,best combination to prevent getting hot I've tried.
Also remember your oil is very important as to how hot you run also. My oil is Golden spectro Synth Blend. My bike takes a while to even get into the mid point in traffic,,and NJ traffic is the ****ing pits. I'm very Happy with this Coolanol From Maxima.

161 ®

JC, I've seen you make a lotta good calls on this board and help a lotta people so I tend to trust your opinion if you say it seems normal. Its just a little uncomfortable when a motor runs at 50-75% of max temperature. If it ran at say 25%(gage 1/4 the way up)and a component started to fail, it seems to me I would have a better chance of noticing and correcting it before engine damage. With it running at 50-75%, if something starts to go wrong, do you think I'll lose a head gasket or anything? I suppose the Evans NPG will still carry the heat away at 368 degrees, but I've always worried about heat and aluminum motors. The bike runs perfect when moving. Its not like I've ever seen the fan come on when the bike is in motion (warmest day I've had so far is like 85 degrees).
Living here in the Northeast, a lot of travel plans have to include traffic (Boston, NYC, Laconia).What do you think? Am I worrying too much? One last thing, I haven't seen anyone on this board mention restricting the by-pass hose. Any thought on that.
THANKS

I get the same thing on my (Euro) spec bike as NumbNuts.... Runs up to half way point.. fan cuts in, cuts out, cuts in etc. I'm a novice compared with the likes of some of the followers of this BB when it comes to 'bike engines, but I've been pissing about with car engines for as long as I can remember and if you asked me for my opinion it sounds like an air-lock.

My two penneth... get the beast good and hot with no fairings on. When she's fit to bust squeeze every coolant pipe you can grab hold of while they are soft and squeeze as if you where pumping the water by hand. If your coolent level suddenly drops, you've got it! Switch off, allow to cool, fill her up and repeat the process. The old ford Cortina MkII in the UK used to catch air-locks like a SOB.

Excuse me for any bad grammer, spelling etc but I'm as pissed as a fart and am typeing with one hand over one eye and one finger doing the work.

[This message has been edited by Tangram (edited 15 June 2000).]

Are the bikes over here in UK different? I can leave mine idling for ages, fan comes on, goes off comes on, needle don't go past middle line. Never (so far anyway, nothing like tempting fate)
Totally stock bike, I do blow the crap out of the rad with water every now and again (like every time I wash it so 2 times per week)
Stay Safe

NumbNuts

#Addendum
That was a bit ambiguous. I blow the crap out from between the rad fins, not flush the rad. Sorry for any misleading as to my maintenance schedules!

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 15 June 2000).]

I was haveing the same problem with over heating so i just wierd a switch in to the ground side of my temp sender and turn the fan on when i pull into trfic
i do not get hot anymore
might be something for you to try

Mine runs half way most of the time if it goes to 2/3 the fan comes on and then it goes back to 1/2.
This is what I would consider normal.
I have not installed the Evans stuff yet.
this is with 50/50 coolant mix.
Start a topic on just evans coolant and see how many are running it and what type of temp they have been running.
Double check the radiator when it is cold to make sure you do not have an air bubble in it.

Hottern hell here in Ga., mine is like NumbNuts, idle forever, doesn't care. Never goes over mid point. fan on, fan off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back