Overheating..... HELP

00busaTX

aegri somnia, and proud member of P. E. A.
Donating Member
Registered
I changed out the fluid on the bike a while back. That was easy but I started to overheat. So I rocked the bike as instructed to try to get any air bubbles out. I thought that I was in the clear because I have not had any issues for about 6 or 8 months. Well.... I got stuck in traffic this morning and she started getting too hot for me. I shut it down twice but then I just started revving it to 3000+ rpms in quick jaunts and it kept it cooler.

My question is this: Do I have an air bubble still or is it possible that my 2000 busa just has a weak water pump?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :bowdown:

A stock 2000 Busa is going to get hot in stop and go traffic. There's a couple different mods you can do and a product called engine ice. Muzzy Fan Mod and adding a second fan.

A stock 2000 Busa is going to get hot in stop and go traffic. There's a couple different mods you can do and a product called engine ice. Muzzy Fan Mod and adding a second fan.

I have had the bike for 3 summers in Dallas now and never had this problem. I used to always be in stop and go traffic. The reason that I haven't seen it till now, is our office moved 8 months ago and I usually dont get stuck in traffic riding this route. I did put engine ice in it when I flushed it.

So my questions still remain in the first post because something has had to of changed, air bubble or water pump going out?

I have had the bike for 3 summers in Dallas now and never had this problem. I used to always be in stop and go traffic. The reason that I haven't seen it till now, is our office moved 8 months ago and I usually dont get stuck in traffic riding this route. I did put engine ice in it when I flushed it.

So my questions still remain in the first post because something has had to of changed, air bubble or water pump going out?

Same answer brother. Had an '06 stock and it could not stand stop and go traffic. If I ran up on a wreck on the interstate I had to get off and take a break because the bike was going to go straight to the top after a while. Went to bike week in Myrtle Beach and had to pull off the strip after a few long lights and stand still traffic.

You said it yourself. the route has changed.

Sometimes the cooling system gets corroded, and deposits will cling to the walls of the rad.
I change my antifreeze every year and use distilled water as the mix, and it still starts to accumulate.
What is everyone's idea on rad flush chemicals?
I have used them on my cars, but if they are too strong, they can dissolve the head gasket and I don't want that.
I think that will fix his problem, but lets get some thoughts.

I agree with that Mike1180. That would sound resonable. I was always in stop and go traffice before I wrecked last summer. She would never overheat. I would sit at stoplights and the fan would kick on and she would cool down no problem in 110 degree heat. After my wreck, I replaced the radiator with a used one. Since then I have been unable to sit in traffic without overheating. Deposits on the new (used) radiator could definately cause this.

Thanks, I might try a flush.

Simple things first.
1) Is the fluid level correct?
2) Try burping it again.
3) Test the temp sending unit and replace if bad (may be the sending unit and not the bike actually overheating)
4) Swap out the thermostat

If you still have problems, you could have a waater pump going. We spent a lot of time going nowhere in New Orleans with tripple digit temps, and none of the 4 Busas had any over heating problems.

I agree with that Mike1180. That would sound resonable. I was always in stop and go traffice before I wrecked last summer. She would never overheat. I would sit at stoplights and the fan would kick on and she would cool down no problem in 110 degree heat. After my wreck, I replaced the radiator with a used one. Since then I have been unable to sit in traffic without overheating. Deposits on the new (used) radiator could definately cause this.

Thanks, I might try a flush.

If you have a used radiator that could very well be the cause.
If you are energetic, and you think the rest of the system is clean, then you could take the rad to a rad shop and they will do a propfessional flush on it.

Well Mike wish I knew the correct answer. I will have to agree with busaWhipped.

If you decide you need help and ya do it on a Sunday you know im just a phone call away.

Back