Overdrive Vs Sprockets

Mathewrussell52

Registered
I read a post where powerhouse was talking about overdrive and got me wondering what everyone else is doing.

I commute on my bike at 80mph and that's just over 4g rpm right where boost is kicking in. I'm running stock gearing and 50 series tire. Would a overdrive be a good idea to not having the bike building boost with the slightest throttle? Bike in boost is just way to much fun maybe I just need self control lol. Or is gearing through sprockets what I really need to look in to?

I run aka turbo gearing 19/43 with a 55 tire. the 55 tire is like 1.5 less rear teeth . now I recently went back to a 50 series due to my rear metal trash can design and tire rub with 55 series. I tour a lot and going back to the 50 put me in a slight vibration zone rpm so using gearing commander a 41 tooth rear sprocket would net the same rpms as the 55 tire within 40 rpms . Problem only 1 company makes a 41 tooth sprocket . Supersprox ,and just trying this out I went with a 40 TOOTH . Ok next problem 19/40 on a stock arm you run out of chain adjustment. So now my chain is 112 links not 114 like stock .

I love the 19/40 the rpms @ 80 are 3600 ish
1st gear still wheelies like a boss . my top gear roll on 60 to 80 suffered ( stock 2.8 ) its now 4 seconds.

I get 55 mpg , 180 hp , 540 lb wet bike , and a 140 lb 5' 1" tall pilot .

Robinsion industries makes the over drive 5th / 6th gears @ 649 bucks . case split required . with stock sprockets the .96 6th gear is about 325 rpms less than stock .

I run aka turbo gearing 19/43 with a 55 tire. the 55 tire is like 1.5 less rear teeth . now I recently went back to a 50 series due to my rear metal trash can design and tire rub with 55 series. I tour a lot and going back to the 50 put me in a slight vibration zone rpm so using gearing commander a 41 tooth rear sprocket would net the same rpms as the 55 tire within 40 rpms . Problem only 1 company makes a 41 tooth sprocket . Supersprox ,and just trying this out I went with a 40 TOOTH . Ok next problem 19/40 on a stock arm you run out of chain adjustment. So now my chain is 112 links not 114 like stock .

1st gear still wheelies like a boss . my top gear roll on 60 to 80 suffered ( stock 2.8 ) its now 4 seconds.

Robinsion industries makes the over drive 5th / 6th gears @ 649 bucks . case split required . with stock sprockets the .96 6th gear is about 325 rpms less than stock .
Hi all. Perfect answer. I will have the OD Robinson gears & run a 20 front & a 38 rear & a 200/55 series tire for top end runs. On the street I will run 20 front & a 43 rear with a 200/50 tire.

Wow great info!! C10 you rock.

Reactions: c10
FYI I forgot 1st gear is now good for 116 mph , 3rd gear reaches out to 150 , and speedo reads 4.5 mph slower than GPS actual speed so 75 mph is showing 70 on the gauge . 19/43 with a 55 tire makes the speedo match GPS at all speeds . Mathew if your not running a 55 tire maybe try 19/42.

Sprocket Specialties has the 19 tooth for 29 bucks plus shipping

18 / 41 the axle will be @ back of arm ( a stock arm ) A 19 is easy to put on / no need to drop rear wheel .

Any particular reason you recommend changing the front sprocket instead of the rear?
less chain wrap for more hp??
Just curious, thanks.

The entire setup is stronger - more links in contact with the sprockets. Plus, changing the front sprocket +1 or -1 is equivalent to changing the rear +3 or -3. It is cheaper to do and usually involves moving the tire either up or back in the swingarm slots. Beats buying a new chain . . .

The entire setup is stronger - more links in contact with the sprockets. Plus, changing the front sprocket +1 or -1 is equivalent to changing the rear +3 or -3. It is cheaper to do and usually involves moving the tire either up or back in the swingarm slots. Beats buying a new chain . . .

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.
You're input is always appreciated.

No competing with Ghost rider hes just to good . Hard to believe at one time RJ was 540 pounds lol .
Even my crate feels fairly light these days..especially with my new gas cap :firing:...feels lighter than my 1200 Bandit which is lighter than stock itself...

Back