Over heating?

gerignac

Registered
just trying to get some more idea of what to look for. when im on the busa if i get stuck at alot of lights or stop and go traffic it is over heating. has a new water pump, coolant is good. there are not air pocket in the lines not really sure what else i should be checking. Any tips would be great thinks for taking the time to help.

This sounds dumb, but I've seen it happen... Are you sure the fans are plugged in?

My gen1 would overheat in traffic on a hot day even with a Muzzys fan. The one real issue with that bike. It would stay cool rolling fast enough to pick up my feet though. It was that way for years so nothing in particular was wrong just not enough airflow. I was planning on adding a second fan to see if that fixed it and couldn't help but notice my gen2 has two fans. Quite possibly the exact reason they did it.

What year is yours?

mine is an 05. I been looking and looking and cant find anything wrong i just dont like that it over heats so many a sec fan is what going to have to be done.

Mine was bad about it on 90*+ days. It took a long time to actually overheat too. The Muzzy fan slowed that process down but it would still overheat if I let it. I would shut it down before it got hot and sometimes even push it forward as traffic crawled.

mine had same problem but i solved this adding a switch to turn on and keep running the fan once i start driving in traffic. Now it no longer get past the middle mark on the temperature clock no matter how long i get stuck

If you've checked all the typical culprits and everything is good then it falls back to the Gen I cooling weakness. My '06 did it and others, many others had the same issue. This is why you have the muzzy fan blade mod and the muzzy fan mod, where you add an additional fan. Suzuki corrected this on the Gen II. Modify the bike or avoid the stop and go traffic. If you run into a wreck on the interstate keep an eye on your gauge and hit an exit ramp for a 15 to 20 minute gas up and refreshment break. Better than overheating the bike.

Could it be that your bike is running a little lean? Added a full exhaust, airbox mod, maybe?

Mine used to get just a hair over the center mark on the temp guage in traffic but after I added a power commander which richened up the fuel map, it never goes above the halfway mark on the temp gauge.

Could it be that your bike is running a little lean? Added a full exhaust, airbox mod, maybe?

Mine used to get just a hair over the center mark on the temp guage in traffic but after I added a power commander which richened up the fuel map, it never goes above the halfway mark on the temp gauge.
Would very likely help. Mine was stone stock and did it but did seem worse when I installed slip ons and removed the flapper in the airbox. Plug check was good so I left it be.

I had the same issue. Here is my thread on my local forum.

Hayabusa coolant system service

I'm going to guess an air pocket. You need to lean the bike full tilt both left and right.

Thanks for the link, it was some excellent points, pics and steps. I will try all of those.

Do you know what type was the red coolant that he used, I would really like to know so I can get some.

Could be the thermal switch in the radiator or the fan relay. Pay attention to whether the fan is running when it over heats. These can get lazy as they repeatedly cycle on and off.

Mine did this with the 99 motor and with the 2006 motor. New fluid, etc, nothing helped.

Then someone suggested to flush the regular coolant out and use Watter Wetter and the bike hasn't seen over 1/2 on the temp gauge since! It was amazing, even in Oklahoma with 100+ degree stop and go traffic. :thumbsup:

Back