Outdoor smoking ban takes place in New York

What a waste of time... It's not enforceable. As for the whole "second hand smoke" study :laugh: I'm still looking to see that study :rofl:

I have no problem with it being banned in federal buildings. The rest should be left to the owner of the business to decide. Out side... give me a break.

Whose blowing smoke up who's azz.

Exactly. Where are the people protesting for the business owner's rights to set the smoking policy within their buildings? If people don't like the store owner's policy, they are welcome to go somewhere else.

and I haven't seen a single person with a picket sign saying "ban smoking in public parks, my kids are dying from this"

Exactly. Where are the people protesting for the business owner's rights to set the smoking policy within their buildings? If people don't like the store owner's policy, they are welcome to go somewhere else.

New York City outdoor smoking ban begins - CNN

I know it's not the first and certainly won't be the last but it is silly to not be able to smoke outside 100 feet away from someone cause the second hand smoke may harm them isn't it? I can understand planes, taxis and restaurants by c'mon isn't this going a bit too far?

I'm happy to see these smoking bans pop up. Not lookin' to kill anyone's right to smoke, although I do consider it to be one of the worst choices a person can make for their own health. However, it's VERY difficult to smoke without providing to smoke to others, especially in a city. Unless one is smoking in a private DETACHED home or in a closed car, other folks are having to deal with that smoke whether they want it or not.

I work in a non-smoking building. The smoking area is at the rear entrance of the building where much of the employee parking is. Smokers do their thing RIGHT there, so I pass through a cloud more often than not. Would love to not have to suck that in anymore.

At my home, I routinely pick up cigarette butts discarded by neighbors and passersby that gather in my front yard and driveway. You'd think that I was a smoker with the amount that I have to deal with sometimes. Apparently a great many smokers enjoy sharing their discards with the world at large.

Driving on on a major highway a couple days ago, the driver in front of me ashes his cig out the window, smoke winds up in my car as I drive through it. Wanna smoke in the car? No problem, but why won't they KEEP IT in their car?

Many riders have stories of catching ashes from leading drivers.

Many times I've parked and stepped out of the car to find that a smoker has considerately dumped their ashtray.

In warm weather, it's not unusual to catch the smoke from the car next at stop light or the car in front or behind at a drive through.

For all the "We have a RIGHT to smoke!" rhetoric, far too many smokers see that as a one way street that they feel gives them a RIGHT to force others to deal with THEIR habit.

This is no different than anything else: Loud music, drugs, loud pipes on cars/bikes, littering, etc. It all comes down to being considerate and courteous of each other. If folks don't do it on their own, then eventually, the majority will make laws in an attempt to create the consideration that most want. If all smokers recognized/acknowledged the impact of their habit on others and made the effort to truly keep it away from non-smokers, bans wouldn't even come into being. The bans are here b/c enough people have had it with the minority that refuse to be considerate.

Again, no interest in telling someone that they CAN'T smoke, but many smokers don't seem to be at all concerned with allowing others to NOT be impacted by their habit. Bring on the bans! :thumbsup:

That is just silly. I don't smoke and never have but I can walk away from it if it gets that bad. Quite a few pool rooms across the country went out of business when the passed the smoking law. I agree not to smoke where there is food being served but here they build no smoking rooms. To me the rights of people have to come into play at some point and time over this.

Yes they have: The rights of the non-smoking majority to NOT have to deal with the impact of the smoking habit of the minority. :thumbsup:

I think BBQ grills should be made illegal, the smell of charcoal and negative health effects are terrible. I shouldn't be subjected to that in my neighborhood i mean i do live here so it does effect me..... chip chip chip chip Alcohol also i hate the smell when i walk by a bar in downtown and the people drinking it are constantly running over people and driving up insurance rates.. negative health and bad for my wallet and i don't like the smell.. chip chip chip. Oh wait Transfats are bad for peoples health and the smell annoys me, lets make it illegal.. oh wait they did in NY you don't have the right to eat transfats

I do understand why people are annoyed, but i just believe that to tell people they can't do something outside is reaching. Or telling a man/woman who spent their hard earned money to open a bar and grill that they aren't allowed to choose if smokers can smoke in their establishment that they payed for.

With respect, straw man arguments here.

The BBQ grills are a) enjoyed by the majority, b) not 24/7 like smoking is and c) typically done away from those whom aren't involved with them. That said, I've actually called the fire dept before when a drug house on the basement floor of my apt building lit up a BBQ on their patio (under a the roof/balcony above them. It was a fire hazard and was smoking up every apt in the place..but that's a whole nother beast).

Alcohol: Again, enjoyed by the majority and nowhere near as pervasive to non-drinkers as smoke is to non-smokers. Also, alcohol doesn't directly affect the health of non-drinkers in the same building as the stuff. As far as drunk driving, we DO have laws against that, again, b/c the majority would rather it not happen.

The transfats is a bit more grey for me, but I understand why it's an issue: Big business will KILL YOU if it makes them a profit and the gov't, for some reason, decided to take issue with this particularly abuse. What's odd to me is that the gov't targets transfats while the continue to profit from the sale of alcohol and tobacco. ??? Just more proof that our gov't is usually lookin' out for big business and not us. Still, with all of these things, if someone chooses to partake, that s/b on them. The problem is that ALL of these businesses work very hard to obscure their ill effects while presenting themselves as "goof for you" and/or "good fun" products, which leaves a lot of folks uninformed that they're even taking a health risk at all.

It's not that you can't do something outside. The point to simply be considerate of the majority that does not wish to participate or be impacted by the choice of another to smoke. Unlike these other items, just being in the same room with lit tobacco can contribute directly to health issues for non-smokers.

The very legislature that came up with this will most likely follow along right behind the left coast California and make it legal to smoke Marijuana in public if you have your BS doctor's excuse for some made up illness.

You all forget that our elected officials (Republican and Democrat) know more about how to protect us from our dumb selves than we do. If you dont belive me than just ask any one of them. They will have no problem explaining to you how your lack of education and intellect prevents you from making the proper choices that will have a positive outcome on your submissive existence.

It all makes me sick to my stomach.

I would be just as against public pot smoking for the same reasons.

As far as protecting us from ourselves, yeah, to some degree I agree. But what about all the ingnorant folks walkin' around that ARE NOT educated about the health risks with their choices BECAUSE the folks selling those choices intentinonally keep those issues under the rug. It's a grey area, for sure. You could say the same thing about motorycycles, but I'm sure glad that the gov't has some regs around that pressure bike makers to put out a product that is what is should be and to take responsibility if they were to cover up a health risk like "rear wheel may fall off".

It's easy get sick over this stuff when you DO know the issues, but think of all the folks that have not had our opportunities to learn. To some degree, well, there's a natural selection thing going on there, but at the same time, the profit mongers are perfectly willing to kill us slowly and behind our backs if we let them while they get rich in the process. Of course, the gov't is one of those entities as well. Like I said, very grey.

If they would actually enforce the current NYS law, 50ft from the entrance, they wouldn't need this one. I hate trying to walk into a store or restaurant through a cloud. Gross....

Droid via Tapatalk

50ft, 100ft...if the wind is right, still not far enough away. The thing about a gas is that it's pervasive and extremely difficult to confine...especially OUTSIDE. :rofl:

So you're saying the majority should rule when deciding what everyone's rights are? ???

When there's a question of which way to go on a matter of health and/or financial impact and just plain preference and 20% want A and 80% want B, that's about the size of it.

This happens all the time. There are a million things that each of us would rather have another way but we have to deal with b/c the majority feels otherwise. Everyone loves to recall that we are a supposed democracy, until it comes time to get on the losing side of that fence. Then the cry changes to "What about MY rights?". Well, we only have "rights" that the MAJORITY thinks we should have. If we don't have limitations, one way or another, then we have anarchy, the absence of all rights under the guise that EVERYONE has EVERY right.

Used to be I had to just lump it on the smoke thing if I ever wanted to leave my house. Why? B/c I was part of a tiny minority. These days, it's turning the other way round. Why? B/c non-smokers are now the overwhelming majority.

Again, I have no wish to take someone's "death/pay the gov't/pay big business to kill me" sticks away from them. I just believe they can do that away from non-smokers in such a way that non-smokers don't have to smell it, breathe it or clean up the litter. Is that so Draconian?

Back