Out Growing My Busa?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I noticed last year that I started taking longer to get geared up for a ride. Then once I got all geared up and 2 hours later I found myself in the garage watching endless reruns of Law & Order on TNT! Some things have happened to get in the way of riding. My riding buddy hung up his boots. He wanted to slow down and spends more time on his boat now. Then my parents are getting to that age where I spend a lot of my weekends helping them with this or that. I also have had to deal with the effects on the body from all those long rides - nerve damage in my feet, carple-tunnel in the throttle wrist, reduced hearing, and dry eye from wind in the face (even with a shield).

Last year I started track riding and that was awesome. But the roads I had been riding for nearly 12 years 2-3 times a week suddenly seemed narrow and full of danger. Right about when I was getting over this I had heart issues that have kept me off the bike almost all summer.

I still love the bike and once I'm on it I am 35 again and the pains seem to go away. But it gets harder and harder to force myself to get out on the bike. I also used to spend a lot of time in the garage working on the bike. Basically, I've gotten used to the bike being perfect - tires, all electronics working perfect, everything adjusted properly.....

I have come to the conclusion that either I'm in a phase or I am outgrowing my Busa. I considered another bike. I did the test rides. But I am realizing I love the Busa, much more so than motorcycles. I'm getting better from the heart issues and it looks like I'll make a pretty much 100% recovery with meds. I'm just hoping my relationship with the Busa will come back too.

Hey arch if you need a motorcycle that you can work on all the time, then get yourself a Harley. My wife move up from her Shadow this year and started riding my Heritage. I had forgotten how much time I got to spend in the garage when the Harley is getting rode regularly.

I get it Arch I've been there but this is what I would tell you... The track and road are two different places just as you mentioned, each has a purpose and they are completely different. Take some long rides, go explore places you have never been and take someone along with you when you go. You will build those relationships you can never get in the garage watching TV. You don't have to go every weekend but just a good long ride that you plan out for even just one day will make the difference and get you excited again.

I'm with cap. I found that is hard for me to ride if I don't have a destination. Now, if I decided I'm going to visit a new place, I get all excited and look forward to jumping On the busa. Hope your health improves. Are you doing anything else to improve your condition besides the meds? I hate meds and usually turn to the gym, better eating and natural remedies and it helps a lot.

Yeah guys good advice. I have been doing shorter rides (2-3 hours) to rebuild my stamina. I bought about $3,000 worth of gym equipment so I have a good workout program going. I had a reaction to the pain meds they had me on and had heart attack symptoms. Spent 10 days in the hospital, catherization, the whole routine, all to find out it was the meds and the heart, lungs & kidneys are in good shape.

Planning some trips to mountains in western Virginia and maybe a fall track day when the temps fall a bit.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 53 and love my bike but a ride longer than an hour brings aches and pains I'd rather do without. Sometimes it's worse than others. I also no longer feel the need to ride like a fool on public roads and although I have my moments, they are few and far between. On my last group ride, my riding buddies were riding 2 Connies and a Honda ST and they are just as fast as the Busa in real world sane riding. Got me thinking for sure. Our ride started and ended at Santa Fe Harley Davidson and I was drawn to their Breakout CVO Pro Street in black and white. Maybe.....

I hope you return to premium health and that exercising gets you there ASAP.

I believe that variety is the spice of life and that is why I have more than one bike.
I broke my leg in May on my old GW. That bike had served me well but I had gotten my moneys worth
out of it and let it go for a song as parts were getting hard to find for such an old bike.

As my leg is healing I have started to ride my Busa again as it is the lighter of the 2 bikes that I have left.
It feels really good to ride again. I enjoy the Busa BUT I am looking forward to being able to ride my Concours again.
On the Concours I sit up more, have electronic cruise, adjustable windscreen, tire pressure sensors, and hard cases to name a few things.
My point is I alternate between the bikes and this variety keeps thing from getting old or stale.

I know there are different strokes for different folks and owning two (or more) bikes may not be for everyone.

But the roads I had been riding for nearly 12 years 2-3 times a week

I can see how riding the same roads for 12 years would get mundane.
That's a hard one as you don't want to have to ride 2 hours to get to new roads - ride them and then ride 2 hours back to home.
Maybe a different bike would make those roads look a little different IDK. Would it be less exciting to go over them a little slower to
observe things you might have never seen?

But it gets harder and harder to force myself to get out on the bike.

That doesn't sound like fun if you have to "force" yourself to get out on the bike.
Maybe on a different bike you wouldn't have to force yourself - at least not for awhile.
If you do, then either it's not the right bike or your fear of riding is growing. That's not all in all a bad thing either.
There are so many crazy people on the road it's not to hard to imagine danger is all around us and as we get older our reflexes are not as fast
as they once were - just a fact of life as we all get older.

Well only you can make the decision as to what's next.
Good luck with growing in, out or up. :bowdown:

Arch, I got there years ago when still young and pretty, then sold all my bikes. Later I regretted it and always missed the occasional rush on a fast sport bike.

These days, I don't ride the Busa often, perhaps 1,500 miles a year. But when I do, it sure makes it worth while to keep the bike. Only thing I worry about with this bike is staying out of trouble and not ending up with a felony some day.

Remember, your health is the most important thing in life, something money cannot buy. I still cycle competitively and race USA cycling category road with the bike in the picture next to my Busa. The only reason being it keeps me fit, extremely healthy and the competition keeps the motivation up. I do approximately 300 miles a week cycling, with a race every other week-end, probably the main reason my Busa does not see a lot of time. I stopped for 11 years and ended up over weight, high blood pressure so I started again and it took me almost 4 years to be competitive again, but trust me the quality of life is superb once you are in shape again.

Take care of yourself, friend. Start exercising, start slow, walking, running, swimming or anything aerobic and start doing it with a group of folks. Keep the Busa, you will miss it when it is gone!!

IMG_0519_zpsjhz5tjbs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Arch I wish you a speedy recovery brother :beerchug:

I totally get where your coming from and find myself in a similar situation. A lot of the guys I used to ride with sold their sport bikes or conflicting schedules or moved etc. I found myself riding my nightrod a lot more. No need for full leathers etc. just Boots, gloves, glasses and small helmet. Just out cruising wind in my face a lot cooler and comfortable. It's hard to ride my Busa conservative so when I'm on it I'm constantly checking mirrors anticipating cars pulling out in front of me or cutting me off. With the HD I can relax and just enjoy the ride although you still have to pay attention it's not to the same degree as the busa cause I'm not going as fast coupled with the Ergos and size of the bike.

Last summer I actually traded in my Night Rod for a HD Rushmore touring model. Now Im riding and meeting a different group of riders I haven't really had the opportunity to do before in the busa. This summer I've been taking trips to a few bike rally's with coworkers and friends on cruiser type bikes. Nothing major like sturgis or Daytona but a chance to head out for a few hours and rack up some miles and check out places, events, and people I never would've went to on my Busa.

Willie,
First and foremost - glad to hear that you figured out the meds issue - that must have been an awful experience. I need to echo what a couple of other guys have said - maybe, get another bike - something very different.
I have had my 01 for quite a while now. I love it - but when I had the opportunity to get an R1, I jumped on it. I had never ridden a true liter bike before and it changed everything about the ride for me. Then I was able to get an 08 Gen II Busa and again - it was new. Dawn and I got a GROM - and that thing has me the most excited of all of my bikes - the last time I was at the Dragon, I got a lot of grief because for the whole week, the bike I rode the most was the GROM. If you can't change the riding locale, then the next best thing is to change the ride itself...

Just my .02, but maybe grab some craigslist steal and put some miles on a different ride - it will enable you to learn about a new riding feeling, while also reminding you of the things that you love about your busa...

MCM

If you can handle the workout and enjoy nature, another thought on two wheels is a Dual Sport. Totally different crowd and experience. I did the Trans American Trail two years ago, only to find out how pretty the US is once you are off the beaten track.

Reactions: LCB
If you can handle the workout and enjoy nature, another thought on two wheels is a Dual Sport. Totally different crowd and experience. I did the Trans American Trail two years ago, only to find out how pretty the US is once you are off the beaten track.
^^^^ this. I bought a dr650 and love the thing.!!! Is great to go between two completely different bikes like this. I still dream about a cruiser or connie/FJR type bike to add to the garage.

I go back n fourth with cars and bikes. sometimes I get sick of the car thing and build a bike like wen I get sick of that I do the bike thing again. nothn wrong with stepping away from the Busa for a while for another bike or toy. Ive done it my whole life. Glad ur feeling better.

I went through a similar thing. You sort of get in a rut I guess. Its too hot here in the summer to ride. So that put her in the garage for the summer here. Then I don't ride her, take a ride on her and realize how out of riding condition I have become. And that bums me out.....for awhile.

Then something changes that will make it all seem new again.

In my case I met a women who loved bikes but had never had the chance to. No way will I pass that up.

And it was all new again!!!!

She already wants to do the Dragon etc.

Sometimes I still drift to the "Maybe I should get a Connie" notion....and maybe I will. But every time I get on the Busa, I still love her more than any other bike I have had.

I can identify with this thread. I'm 66 and I've had some stents put into my heart-but no major surgery. I've got the usual aches and pains of my age- knees, lower back, etc, but nothing too serious just yet.

I just got home from Nova Scotia, which is about 850 miles each way for me. I carry a tankbag, saddlebags, and a tail bag on trips, so I can do a week or more without doing laundry- but there isn't much room to move around on the bike. I have a Genmar bar riser on my bike and a permanent GPS, so I'm set for distance- but it's not a Goldwing, or even a Concours.

I think in another year or so, I'm going to have to either cut down on distance or get serious about a more comfortable ride. I wish Suzuki would do another shaft drive bike, based on the Busa but with a more upright seating position, adjustable windscreen, and hard bags.

Back