Our neighbor bought a hd..

LadyHawk

w00t!!
Donating Member
Registered
He hasn't ridden in over 20 years, but all our toys got him wanting one, so he went and got a 1200 sportster. We have instructed him on how NOT to be a squid, the importance of a full face helmet (he had bought a half helmet, which we instantly informed him that wasn't good enough  
wink.gif
) and even took him on his introductory ride on a nice twisty in the neighborhood. He has started modding it, installed some Vance and Hines pipes on it Tuesday, and has a stitched seat coming in today.

GJoker will deny it (
laugh.gif
), but we both took it for a little spin. I kept waiting for the acceleration to kick in. I'd twist the wrist and then it was "OK, it's gonna take off now, ok... now.. ok, any minute now... ok, NOW. Nope. Ok.... NOW!..etc, etc, etc."
laugh.gif

It's the first Harley I've ridden. Probably be the last too.

It sure is pretty tho:

v_and_HD.JPG

laugh.gif

He hasn't ridden in over 20 years, but all our toys got him wanting one, so he went and got a 1200 sportster. We have instructed him on how NOT to be a squid, the importance of a full face helmet (he had bought a half helmet, which we instantly informed him that wasn't good enough  
wink.gif
) and even took him on his introductory ride on a nice twisty in the neighborhood. He has started modding it, installed some Vance and Hines pipes on it Tuesday, and has a stitched seat coming in today.

GJoker will deny it (
laugh.gif
), but we both took it for a little spin. I kept waiting for the acceleration to kick in. I'd twist the wrist and then it was "OK, it's gonna take off now, ok... now.. ok, any minute now... ok, NOW. Nope. Ok.... NOW!..etc, etc, etc."
laugh.gif

It's the first Harley I've ridden. Probably be the last too.

It sure is pretty tho:
Yeah, those HDs just don't quite have the same get up and go as a busa do they?

laugh.gif

I know about these 1200 Sporties. I've been trying to sell one for the past few months.

I'll give him one season before he moves up to a "real" Harley. He'll get sick of everyone telling him he has a girl-bike.:D

I'll give him one season before he moves up to a "real" Harley. He'll get sick of everyone telling him he has a girl-bike.:[/QUOTE]

that stock 'girls bike' will beat any stock 'Big Slug'!!!!

I'll give him one season before he moves up to a "real" Harley.  He'll get sick of everyone telling him he has a girl-bike.:D
He's vertically challenged.. the sportster fits him perfect. Plus he's the type that doesn't really care what any one thinks.

Is that his Corvette in the background? That implies he likes to go fast, so why buy a Hardley?

Or maybe it's just about image....
smile.gif

Yeah.. it's a hobby car~ He only drives to car shows every now and then, and to work on Fridays~ I'm not much for that style of Vette.. I like the old ones (late 50's.. early 60's) and found a new love for the newer ones (05's.. 06's), but he's got this one set up nice~ He's even talking about getting rid of it~ I'd love to snatch it up just for the motor and tranny~ The 350 in it is majorly chromed out and purrs like a Hardley (patata-patata-patata)and he swapped out the tranny with a 4spd Muncie (I'm preety sure it's a Muncie)~ Scratches damn near every gear! He's taken me for ride, but has yet to hand me the keys.. smart man he is!
biggrin.gif

As for the Sporty... It's a nice little bike~ When I took it for a spin around the nieghborhood, I had compared the feel of power to LadyHawk's old 750 Katana~ It just didn't have the feel I'm used to anymore~ It did throw me back a bit upon shifting gears, but then it was back too... now?.... ok, now?... I really think her 750 Katana had more umpff to it then this 1200 does~
rock.gif

All noise and poise, show and no go. They only make like 75 Hp at the crank ? Or is it 75 at the rear wheel? He should have put that money he spent on the bike into the Vette in the garage.

<!--EDIT|tinmann
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148068361 -->

i had a sporty did every performance thing you can do then gave up and bought a crotch rocket.

I had an 87 sporty with motorwork done and it put 80 RWH....at this time,that was pretty good!!!
LOL

Talked to a Triumph dealer last year. Said the Rocket III starter motor has more torque than the Sportster engine. Not sure if I believe him, but it's a cool story anyway.
wink.gif

Back