Our eternal thanks to our past soldiers

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
This topic deserves it's own thread... While Steve and I were on our trip we were going down the highway and we looked to the left and in the not so far distance we noticed rows and rows of headstones. We both keyed up on the radio about the same time asking if the other had seen the cemetary and we both wanted to stop and offer our respects.

We found a backroad that took us up a driveway to a residence and I shot this first pic...

wm_normal_stampede-09_458.jpg

We went back down the hill and through a town and we found the entrance... this was a very very clean and well taken care of national cemetary of our soldiers. We respectfully pulled down one of the roads and Steve and I both walked seperate ways. I noticed that there were headstones there for soldiers from the Spanish American War and also WWI and WWII. Up to this point we had taken pics of the bikes in every place that we had stopped and I asked myself if it was disrespectful to take pics of the busas in such a quiet and honored plot of soil but I then thought that there was no better way for me to show my appreciation for their sacrifices for my freedom then to take some pictures and share them on the Internet. After all it is the freedom that they had provided that offered me the opportunity to trek across this great country. Steve and I both took pictures of the cemetary as to be as respectful as possible and we even left at different times. Here are a few of the pics that I took of that place......

thank you to our countries men that served us so well, thank you for your sacrifice.....

Cap

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

Hot Springs National Cemetery is located in Fall River County, S.D., on the northeast edge of Hot Springs, S.D.

In 1902, a National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was approved for the Hot Springs area and construction was completed in 1907. The home was originally named the Battle Mountain Sanitarium after a nearby mountain peak. The cemetery was established for the interment of veterans who died while residing at the home. In 1930, the home became part of the Veterans Administration and, in 1973, the cemetery was one of 21 cemeteries transferred to what was then known as the National Cemetery System.

Hot Springs National Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Monuments and Memorials
The Battle Mountain Monument is a 32-foot tall obelisk tower situated on the cemetery’s highest point. The monument was dedicated in 1914 in memory of the men who gave their lives in defense of the country.

The Squire Monument is a granite block memorial erected in 1940 to honor Army Chaplain Guy P. Squire. He served in the Spanish-American War and World War I, and later served as chaplain at the Hot Springs VA Medical Facility. The monument was erected by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, District 10.

Bivouac of the Dead erected 2004.

NOTABLE PERSONS

Medal of Honor Recipients
Lieutenant Charles Russell, (Civil War), Company H, 93rd New York Infantry. Spotsylvania, Va., May 12, 1864 (Section 3, Row 1, Grave 12).

wm_normal_stampede-09_462.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_468.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_469.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_472.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_478.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_480.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_481.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_485.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_458.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_462.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_468.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_469.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_472.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_478.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_480.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_481.jpg

wm_normal_stampede-09_485.jpg

Last edited:
i don't see anything disrespectful in stopping and remembering the price these men and women paid to grant us the freedom which we enjoy...in fact, i think it would do us all some good to sit back and remember that some of our petty issues aren't really all that big when put in the proper perspective

here's a pic of GSXcite at Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery when he, BusaWhipped, and i were doing some riding in Kansas this Spring

IMG_3435 (Large).jpg

That was a very respectful gesture to stop and give thanks to the man and women that paid for our current freedoms.

:beerchug:

Very nice, Doug.

And a very big Thank You :bowdown: to all of our Service Men and Women, both past and present...for all that you have done and are doing for this great nation of ours. :usa:

Just thougt I would share as well. I to had to go pay some respect this past weekend myself Cap here are a couple pics from my trip :please:

SSPX0006.jpg

SSPX0017.jpg

SSPX0019.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice guys. We owe many a thanks to our service men and women.

My deepest thanks for the dedication and devotion of our troops for their service. remember FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!! THANK YOU to all that serve this great nation!

Thanks for the pics. My Grandpa was in that veterens home in Hot Springs for quite awhile, my family is from Pierre, SD. I remember visiting him there in the late 70s, although he's not buried in that cemetery.

Back