OTD pricing on '02 leftovers

Plunk

Registered
Hello,
I've returned to pick your brains again and get some more good info. The info I've read on this site has been really helpful. I've been in the market for a new bike. I was originally looking for a TLR, but they're like a unicorn in these parts. Dealers dont' carry them, but would be happy to order them and make me pay MSRP.

Anyway, I was checking a bike shop while visiting some friends and found that they have 2 leftover '02 Black/blue Busas. I couldn't help myself and started looking it over. Next thing I new I was sitting on it and BSing with the dealer. He quoted me $10,900 out the door. That seemed pretty high for an '02. What would be a reasonable offer to make them. Keep in mind that I'm planning to just pay for it, no financing. I was thinking $9,500 OTD?

Hello,
I've returned to pick your brains again and get some more good info.  The info I've read on this site has been really helpful.  I've been in the market for a new bike.  I was originally looking for a TLR, but they're like a unicorn in these parts.  Dealers dont' carry them, but would be happy to order them and make me pay MSRP.

Anyway, I was checking a bike shop while visiting some friends and found that they have 2 leftover '02 Black/blue Busas.  I couldn't help myself and started looking it over.  Next thing I new I was sitting on it and  BSing with the dealer.  He quoted me $10,900 out the door.  That seemed pretty high for an '02.  What would be a reasonable offer to make them.  Keep in mind that I'm planning to just pay for it, no financing.  I was thinking $9,500 OTD?
Something I heard from a dealer aquaintance of mine.  The dealer pays for the bike something like $9200.  So $9500 OTD may be pushing it but it depends on how bad the dealer wants to move it.  I walked out the door with a Gap insurance, tags, title, taxes 7%, dealer prep etc. For right at 11K cash.  I might have been able to work more of a deal but since I had approached them and they had to ship one in they were'nt horribly motivated to move more on it.  Basically I paid about $9400 for the bike plus all the other BS.  But offer away, they will work with you most of the time. Start at $9500 and settle right around $10.2 OTD.

Oh and is Pampa...Tampa??? If so where are you shopping?

you might wanna try looking on ebay , there are dealers selling bikes and some are still in the crates

you might wanna try looking on ebay , there are dealers selling bikes and some are still in the crates
Yeah If your comfortable doing your own set-up thats a good idea. But then you do loose the dealer relationship. Discounted Parts accessories etc.
There isn't a whole lot to do setup wise though, from what I have heard.

Nope, Pampa is in Texas. It's a podunk town up NE of Amarillo. Population 17.7k I'm doing my shopping in Lubbock at the moment. Came down to see some friends and hit a family reunion. Nice to know the dealer price. I'll see what I can do. I've dealt with this shop quite a bit in the past buying parts for my old bike.

Nope, Pampa is in Texas.  It's a podunk town up NE of Amarillo.  Population 17.7k  I'm doing my shopping in Lubbock at the moment.  Came down to see some friends and hit a family reunion.  Nice to know the dealer price.  I'll see what I can do.  I've dealt with this shop quite a bit in the past buying parts for my old bike.
My Bad...I think I may have heard of Pampa, not sure. Like I mentioned above, the info I got regarding dealer cost was from a salesman aquaintance, not a trusted friend...Now he is a good budy of a good friend of mine so I feel the info is probably valid. I wasn't buying a bike from him either way so I consider it 98% reliable. I asked the question " how can you stay in business with a percentage so slim?" His answer was service, parts, and accessories.

My point? Oh yeah, I suppose I have one here, I have seen posts from folks who have gotten their rides OTD for $9500. I dunno if I really buy it though, It might depend on what their definition is of "out the Door". But I do think that $9500 is a decent starting point. Be firm but be patient, remember if they have two, there are going to be two more somewhere else. If it involves a weekend trip or waiting a month go ahead and wait. I waited two months I think for them to find mine.

Once again my freakin rambling 22 cents.

A buddy of mine with a dealership sells the for $9600 OTD($9999 for the '03 Ltd ed.) He is in a different state so we pay tax when we register it locally.

You might want to try cycle trader. The local one in Florida has dealers selling the leftovers for 8899.00 plus the extras but it should be about 10k out the door. I got a quote of 10,100 with a free helmet and the first 600 mile service. It was a good deal, the dealer had 4 bikes to get rid of though so he was motivated to move them.

Oh Yeah, One more thought...

Just like any other sales position, these boys function on a quota and on comission. Get there towards the end of the month and you can usually see the desperation in their eyes.

Yamwon, Do you know the name and possibly the number to the dealership where they are selling the Busa's at that price.
I live in Miami, FL. Thanks

Yeah thh number is 352-735-2900, it is in Mt. Dora, about 1 hour northwest of Orlando, so I would say about 4 hours from Miami. They are nice and helpful.

Just wanted to recommend Bells Suzuki in Lexington Ky. I got my '03 silver/gray for 10,200 OTD. Thats tax,license....the whole enchilda....plus 10 % off future purchases of accessories. I didn't go for it but they also offered the extended warrenty with the stipulation that if you had no claims in the 3 yrs, they would give you all of the money for the warrenty back. This all sounded like a great deal to me.....I'm happy as can be. Also, you won't meet a nicer bunch of people, from the salesmen to the techs I met on the first service. Of course, I realize that may be a bit far for you....you decide....

I think they're probably wanting to get rid of these two '02s. I don't think they move many of them in Lubbock. Most of the college riders there want gixxers and R1s. My main goal here was to get a good target price in my head. I'll keep you posted on what comes of it. Thanks for all of the info

hey plunk, i live in san angelo texas and got mine in abilene for 10200 out the door. got a limited edition BLACK (which happens to be the fastest color by the way) 2002 busa, first service free, and a helmet. suzuki also has a deal going right now which most of the dealers wont advertise, but if you finance and keep it under 10,000 you only have to carry liability. if your like me it would cost more than a new bike to pay full coverage for 4 or 5 years, so i just got liability. if i dump it i gotta pay for it still, but a risk i'm willing to take. with my multibike discount my busa ins. costs a whopping 27 dollars a year. yup, i said it right $27.00. kickass huh. maybe we can get together and ride sometime. welcome to the board
lumpy

Great news!! After multiple phone calls back and forth, I got them to settle for $10k cash out the door. It was an '02 leftover and they were wanting to move it. Blue/black just happens to be my personal favorite paint job too. I'm pumped. I leave for Lubbock tonight and I pick it up in the morning. I suppose I'll become a permanent resident of the board now
smile.gif

Great news!!  After multiple phone calls back and forth, I got them to settle for $10k cash out the door.  It was an '02 leftover and they were wanting to move it.  Blue/black just happens to be my personal favorite paint job too.  I'm pumped.  I leave for Lubbock tonight and I pick it up in the morning.  I suppose I'll become a permanent resident of the board now
smile.gif
Good Work Plunk. Now get some good gear, follow break in recomendations. This is importnat as much for your health as the bikes.

Come on back you are going to have alot of questions.

Oh safety is a big deal with me. I'm a really cautious rider. I love to be out on the road enjoying it all. I've got a good set of gear that I don't ride without.

Break in was going to be my next question. I'm sure it's been debated here before, though I haven't had a chance to search for it just yet. I just got off work. I've read arguments for both hard and soft breakins. Lately it seems that the trend is the hard breakin. I figured I'd get some opinions here about the Hayabusa specifically.

Personally I think a good methodical method of speeding up then allowing the engine breaking to slow the bike. One really early oil change after the first miles, then another about half way to the recommended. I enjoy tinkering on bikes. This will be my first new one though, so breakin is a new process to me. Any opinions on methodology would be greatly appreciated.

Back