Orgsters, I Need Your Help....

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Hey folks,
So let me start this out and say that I thought something was one way and in the end it was another. I thought we had some integration with the sales area working and in fact it wasn't but now is....

This could get confusing so let me try to define a couple of things.....

1. When I say classifieds in the forum I mean this place... CLICK HERE

2. When I say the classifieds I mean this place.... CLICK HERE

The new classifieds section allows us to manage ads a lot easier and it also provides more functionality to the members. A couple of the features that you can use...

1. All of your ads are managed in your account.
2. Others can search for other things you have for sale.
3. You can sell using paypal directly.
4. You can add in shipping seperately.
5. You can delete and edit your own ads.
6. Members can see defined topic areas, Bikes for sale, parts, wanted, mods you name it. (If there is an area that you think we need just let me know).
7. You can set a checkbox that will make sure you get notified anytime a comment or question is placed on your ad.

We started this many months ago, maybe as far as a year. We performed an upgrade to the software and when that happened the integration stopped working. I was unaware of this until just recently, I made some changes and now it is working again.

To place an ad takes just a few seconds, I have timed a few times and I can create a new ad in about 60 seconds. It isn't hard just different, I am going to do a quick tutorial on how to place an ad so that you aren't left out there by yourself.

Here is how it works.....

You go into "the classifieds" and place your add, almost as soon as you click the submit button your ad is integrated into the forum section called "From the classifieds section", this is going to be a read only forum. This thread will show up in the new post so that people are notified the first time your sale is added. When you delete your ad from "The classifieds" section it removes it from the forum too.

the plan is this.....

One week from today we will be placing the forum classifieds as read only, this means that if you have something there for sale then people will still be able to see it but no one will be able to respond to it and you won't be able to add any new sales there unless you go through "The Classifieds" and the thread is started by the system automatically. So if you have an ad there take a few minutes and go put your sale in the new location, you will also see that there is a wanted section for those that are wanting parts, this is a place that will make it easy for our advertisers to see folks that are needing parts....

Please help us with this and give it a try....

let me know what you need and I will do what I can to help...

CAp....

I just posted an ad in the classifieds (your second clicky thingy) and it generated an add in the classified forum (your first clicky thingy) all by itself. Is this how it is supposed to work boss?

I just posted an ad in the classifieds (your second clicky thingy) and it generated an add in the classified forum (your first clicky thingy) all by itself. Is this how it is supposed to work boss?

Yep, it will show up on the forum in the new post section one time for each member... After it has been viewed once it will not show up in the new post.

One other thing this does is that it keeps people that are interested in the thread and the seller working behind the scenes. Not everyone needs to see the discussions in the forums every time information is provided or a question is asked about an ad. Our goal is to connect people together not to watch the whole sale transpire :)

Good deal.:thumbsup:
I would suggest that messages received on the ad are forwarded to PM's, took me a few minutes to figure out I had a message...

Maybe an alert or auto delete.

Something to clear up old thread that haven't been maintaned or the member doesn't stick around. Just wondering why I've never seen that before. Not so much here but a lot of other forums I've wasted time trying to contact people and something be already sold or no response.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe an alert or auto delete.

Something to clear up old thread that haven't been maintaned or the member doesn't stick around. Just wondering why I've never seen that before. Not so much here but a lot of other forums I've wasted time trying to contact people and something be already sold or no response.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is one reason for this software, it will keep the forum clean and we will be able to prune out old ads and the ads that sell remove themselves.

Great catch!

How long will ads stay there for?
I was searching for a few things a couple of weeks ago, and if the seller doesn't mark them sold, there still up.
Is there a way that the adds can only have a maximum time frame?

Here is a short how to... I think this will make it easy...

Click the classifieds link that is located at the top of the page...
8.png

Choose the catagory that best fits the item you want to sell. If you have suggestions for new areas please let me know.
1.png

On the top of the page you will see a text link that says "Place a new ad" click on that to start the process.
2.png

Make sure you are in the right catagory then click the submit button to take you to the entry pages.
3.jpg
Just start filling out the boxes with the information as requested. You can see that I added some notes in red with suggestions to improve the exposure and chances of you selling your items..
4.jpg

Just keep filling out the boxes
5.jpg

The last thing is to just click the submit button.
6.jpg

You're new ad will now show in the new post one time in the forums but will be able to be browsed by other members in the read only section called "From the classifieds section". The newest ads will be on the top, you can search by date or prices or products in "The classifieds"

7.jpg

Please let me know if you need anything, shoot me a PM or I can call you if you need answers to questions....

Cap

1.png

2.png

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.png

3.jpg

Last edited:
How long will ads stay there for?
I was searching for a few things a couple of weeks ago, and if the seller doesn't mark them sold, there still up.
Is there a way that the adds can only have a maximum time frame?
When you place the ad, a drop down menu lets you choose how long it is up for.

I know that, but what im talking about is all the old adds that are there. If there still there and the stuff is not available, its frustrating!

John if there are ads that are set to never expire I can go through them much easier to see if there is any activity, if none then they would be removed... We have the ability to ake bulk changes here..

John if there are ads that are set to never expire I can go through them much easier to see if there is any activity, if none then they would be removed... We have the ability to ake bulk changes here..

Thats what i thought, seems that there is quite a few items still listed that are really not available!
The Classifieds is great idea, and its is very simple to use.

Thats what i thought, seems that there is quite a few items still listed that are really not available!
The Classifieds is great idea, and its is very simple to use.

We may take the "never expire" option off for members and just leave it up for the advertisers to use. We need to have an area that we can control to make sure that we can purge out old data. You are hitting the nail on the head on one of the major reasons that I need to get this in place. I want the members to have a place to use to sell stuff but we have limitations on what and when things can be deleted in the forums.. Having a central place that people can sell AND manage their sales is key, this also allows discussions to take place without all the members having to watch the question and answer process in a regular forum....

We may take the "never expire" option off for members and just leave it up for the advertisers to use. We need to have an area that we can control to make sure that we can purge out old data. You are hitting the nail on the head on one of the major reasons that I need to get this in place. I want the members to have a place to use to sell stuff but we have limitations on what and when things can be deleted in the forums.. Having a central place that people can sell AND manage their sales is key, this also allows discussions to take place without all the members having to watch the question and answer process in a regular forum....

I want to say, it was maybe six months ago, you asked for people to clean up there adds, and some did, but most may have not!
There is so many missing members, that may have adds up and not be watching them!

I want to say, it was maybe six months ago, you asked for people to clean up there adds, and some did, but most may have not!
There is so many missing members, that may have adds up and not be watching them!

To that point, they will be purged out.

Captain..... always striving to make the site easier & more efficient for us :bowdown:

Appears to me the Classifieds are even more seamless now :thumbsup:

Back