Oregon members.

Gunnybusa

DEFENDER of the FAITH!
Donating Member
Registered
I retire in May after 20 short years in the corp. I have been looking into law enforcement and came upon the Oregon state police, any insider info on the troopers or the state its self?

Thanks Robb.

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 25 2006,12:14) I retire in May after 20 short years in the corp. I have been looking into law enforcement and came upon the Oregon state police, any insider info on the troopers or the state its self?

Thanks Robb.
This is more of an observation than anything since I am not a LEO. I drive into Oregon frequently and the troopers down there are required (I was told, so don’t bank on this) to carry coveralls. If they come across a motorist fixing a flat themselves they are supposed to get you out of harms way and change it for you! Pretty cool actually, from a motorists POV. I also see them putting drug seizures to work! Not too uncommon to see them driving seized Camaro’s and SUV’s!

BT you drive through but dont live there? Which state do you live in?

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 25 2006,12:34) BT you drive through but dont live there? Which state do you live in?
I live up in northern Washington. Wife has family in the Dalles! Actually her cousin is married to a WSP officer on the Washington side in Dallesport.

(bigoltool @ Sep. 25 2006,12:39)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 25 2006,12:34) BT you drive through but dont live there? Which state do you live in?
I live up in northern Washington. Wife has family in the Dalles! Actually her cousin is married to a WSP officer on the Washington side in Dallesport.
Thank you sir.

Gunny, I ride into Oregon all the time....I've got plenty of connections in Washington, but none in OSP. I'll do some digging & see what I can find for ya.

I know one thing....if you end up on the east side of the cascades..you'll end up with a stellar riding season! The west side is beautiful, but much wetter...

(mjn @ Sep. 25 2006,14:22) Gunny, I ride into Oregon all the time....I've got plenty of connections in Washington, but none in OSP.   I'll do some digging & see what I can find for ya.

I know one thing....if you end up on the east side of the cascades..you'll end up with a stellar riding season!  The west side is beautiful, but much wetter...
Tell me about these " connectiones " MJN.

I have Family living there, but don't know any of the Troopers. I do know that the ones I have dealt with were very polite and helpful.

Like mentioned above if you live West of the cascades you are in for some moisture most of the year, East of the cascades is like the plains... dry and pretty flat. Southern Oregon down by the Rogue Valley is nice and has some great hunting and fishing (Howard Prairie Lake is great for trout, the Rogue river as well, and there is the Umpqua River that is great).

Portland area is also pretty nice and you are only about 2 hrs from the coast with traffic. Hwy 1 up in that area is great for riding or driving.

If you don't mind rain/drizzle and what they call "sun breaks" (sun pears through the clouds for a few minutes) it is a great place. I go back once in a while and love it everytime.

Sorry no info on the Troopers though...

Oh...nothing big at all really. I know the two area WSP motorpatrol officers here fairly well. Also know several of our local city officers, 3 of which are motorpatrol (2 wheels).
My cousin is a senior officer in Portland, Or...Sert, drug enforcement..all that stuff. If you are looking for an adrenaline style position...I can give him your name!

(MrGxr @ Sep. 25 2006,03:31) East of the cascades is like the plains... dry and pretty flat.
There are a few areas that are kind of flat....but for the most part, it is just dryer. Central Oregon is incredible country. Lots of mountains...my favorite part of the world actually..

The big thing is the lack of rain. Here in Tri-Cities wa, we get about 7" per year. We are just north of the Ore border..

Gunny -
My wife has a relative who has been a judge in Portland for a long time.

Anything specific you're trying to find out?

(mjn @ Sep. 25 2006,15:35)
(MrGxr @ Sep. 25 2006,03:31) East of the cascades is like the plains... dry and pretty flat.
There are a few areas that are kind of flat....but for the most part, it is just dryer.   Central Oregon is incredible country.  Lots of mountains...my favorite part of the world actually..

The big thing is the lack of rain.  Here in Tri-Cities wa, we get about 7" per year.  We are just north of the Ore border..
Was in the Bend area... so that is what I am remembering about the other side of the cascades... I just remember flat...

Here's a few shots of NE Oregon....
Near Long Creek.
july06mfjdriver.jpg

The edge of Hells Canyon
july06ride060-1.jpg

Sunny Central Ore...about 55 miles east of Prineville
july06ride030.jpg

North central Ore, near Antelope
july06ride028.jpg

Standing here in far SE Wash..looking out into NE Oregon
rattlesnake60506.jpg

Northeast/central Ore..near Umatilla, looking out at the Columbia river
busapics05.jpg

Gunny....just get your azz up here!!!
tounge.gif

(MrGxr @ Sep. 25 2006,03:53)
There are a few areas that are kind of flat....but for the most part, it is just dryer.   Central Oregon is incredible country.  Lots of mountains...my favorite part of the world actually..

The big thing is the lack of rain.  Here in Tri-Cities wa, we get about 7" per year.  We are just north of the Ore border..
Was in the Bend area... so that is what I am remembering about the other side of the cascades... I just remember flat...
How long ago? Man...you outa see the Bend/Redmond area now....it is the fastest growing area in the state..

(mjn @ Sep. 25 2006,15:59)
(MrGxr @ Sep. 25 2006,03:53)

How long ago?   Man...you outa see the Bend/Redmond area now....it is the fastest growing area in the state..
I was in that area about 8 years ago.
I have spent a lot of time in the Portland area and the Rogue Valley area over the last 3-4 years.
Some of the roads along the coast running through those hills are great... kinda got the "deliverance" tune going through my head in some areas though... LOL

I was born in La Grande, Or., my dad was chief of police in Elgin. We left there and moved to Springfield, where my dad worked for Lane County Sheriff dep and Springfield pd. The one thing that I remember is that he was constantly having to change jobs because of lay offs. That's what finally brought us to Colorado when I was 13. Oregon is a very cool place. I always thought I would want to move back, but I love Colorado more.

Okay, I'll chime in here.  I have lived here in Southern Oregon for about 25 years.  I just recently moved back to the west side of the mountains after living on the east side for 10 years.  The Rogue Valley area is absolutely beautiful.  We see 90's in the summer and 40's in the winter as opposed to Klamath area which was 80's in the summer and teen's in the winter with lots of snow.  Farther north gets lots of rain, that's why it's soooo green.  

I have never heard of the OSP here changing any tires.  I do know OSP has had some budget problems in the past, therefore, they have a small number of troopers down at the south end of the state, but I do know one of them drives a nifty Charger car and another drives a stealthy Camaro.  

If you will be down here, let us know.  We have several friends employed in city patrols.

Back