Ordered my first set of gear

yougod

Registered
The nice guy that sold me my bike gave me his helmet and jacket since he wasn't planning on riding anymore. But as I've said before, I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and maybe OCD so it didn't take long for me to get the urge to upgrade.

I'm an OEM fan so I ended up looking for gear sole by Suzuki. That landed me at Oneida Suzuki's website. They offered the newest textile Hayabusa jackets for the cheapest price. I decided on this one:
https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/suzuki-hayabusa-textile-jacket.html#

I'm sure it was meant to be since they only have it in my size and it matches my bike! Plus it's like 50% off msrp. I'm hoping it lives up to the anxiousness that it put me in.

I also signed up at cycle gear to find me some affordable and useful gloves and boots. I ended up picking up some Bilt gear due to the pricing and reviews. It is my beginner gear so I do plan to upgrade if needed.
BILT - Racer Leather Motorcycle Gloves - Race - Gloves - Street - CycleGear - Cycle Gear
BILT - Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Boots - Race - Boots - Street - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

I also bought a bunch of these to qualify for free shipping:
WHEELIES - Suzuki GSX 1300R Scale Model - Novelties - Gifts - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

So all in all, I spent $200 for Jacket, Boots, & Gloves with some form and function, and also a bunch of toys that I can eBay for a few extra bucks.

Anyone have any experience with these items? My next purchase will be pants and helmet. Although right now I am using the free all black one that the seller gave me that I can live with for this season. I prefer OEM or OEM looking gear and would like any suggestions or recommendations as well.

Thanks!

Owned a set of Trackstar gloves, they were awesome up until I wrecked on the freeway...even rolling down the asphalt at 60mph, they did their job and kept my hands perfectly safe! :)

Would still highly encourage you to get a pair of riding pants to help protect your knees and thighs...only scars I have from that accident are because I wasn't wearing proper riding pants!

^ +1 - layed a 250 ninja down once- it sucked! ride with at least a jacket and helmet and boots now- gloves are +2 AC and good riding britches are +4 AC - (Armor Class for you non-nerds out there)...

that means its a good idea...

Pants are the only thing I'm missing from a full set. So I'll purchase a pair first before getting a new helmet.

Just making sure it was a quality helmet that actually fits you correctly. Your arms/legs/etc are no good to you if you're brain dead. :banghead:

I would check the helmet for cracks dents and deep scratches. If you have any of these you might want to replace it as soon as money allows. Shoei RF-1100s are excellent helmets and they are going on clearance to make room for the RF-1200s. The RF-1000 is also a nice helmet if you are looking for something cheaper (and if you can find one). Never skimp on a helmet. If you are looking for great gear at great prices, I like shopping at revzilla and motorcyclegear. They both have free shipping and exchanges are free (you need to pay return shipping).

JPunisher

Go to a shop and try helmets on, different people have different heads and some helmets fit better than others, you'll get the right size too. As stated it's all important, but the helmet is the most important.

P.S. Don't go cheap on the device that will save your life and brains. When I was 18 I bought the newly released Bell Full Face Helmet. Full Face was a new thing. It cost me over $100 in 1978. All the guys I rode with gave me hell. An older man I knew, in his 50's at the time, a bike guru, had all kinds, but also had a Yoshimura Honda CBR 750 ? The real deal, the old man had built the motor himself if you know what I mean, anyway he told them one night when the were getting on me $5 helmet, $5 head

Like DO3 said, definitely try some on different lids. I ended up really liking HJC because they actually fit my head. Other brands would cause weird pressure spots on the front or back of my head.

I'm looking for an OEM looking helmet. Any suggestions? One that matches the jacket I posted above.

I'm looking for an OEM looking helmet. Any suggestions? One that matches the jacket I posted above.

I received my Hayabusa helmet for half price at the dealership when I purchased my bike. Although it was a great deal, I still tried it on and wore it for 2 hours before deciding which size I would get.

Back