Opins on the AMA Pro series? (DMG)

DaCol. when you see Speed carrying races that are almost 2 weeks old I don't think the TV money is anywhere near what it was just a couple years ago. Remember two wheel Tuesday with Greg White, American thunder with Michelle Smith and a host of other bike shows. We are past the TV heyday until the economy changes. Motorcycle racing takes a back seat to just about any 4 wheel racing in TV's eyes. That's just the way it is right now. If the factories pull all together then the purses will be almost nothing so it will revert back to way more amateur racing grass root level. Just my opinion. Wardie

FYI: As of mid-June or so, they're broadcasting the races the same day.

I keep hearing that I really never paid to much attention to AMA are they really racing 1K against 600's doesn't sound like much of a race???

Yes.

AMA Pro Daytona Sportbike

AMA Pro SuperSport

I was initially dumbfounded that the 1125 Buell was approved to race against a bunch of 600's. And Eslick and the Buell ran away with a couple of the early races mostly due to the ridiculous power advantage the Buell had in the straights. However, since they added 15 lbs to the Buell it's advantage has been removed.

Bottom line, it can't be much of an advantage since the Buell is in 3rd place behind Hacking (Ninja ZX-6R) and Cardenas (GSX-R600). If anything, Buell s/b ashamed that their nearly twice as large bully isn't pounding the rest of the field like a red headed step child. ;)

Lamb loves the rolling start. Great tight racing for the first 5-7 laps without the drama of a missed start or crazy overtaking moves going into the first corner messing up the race. The racing has been good. Now that the Buell has been given more weight and it's more closely competitive, the racing has been good. Lamb swears some of the most outspoken here don't watch the races. They have been more competitive than in the past with the lead being swapped back and forth for multiple laps past the half way mark.
Relax about the sanctioning bodies and enjoy the races. What do you, joe public, care about who runs these events? Lamb could care less. All he wants is competitive racing for multiple laps, and that has happened much more than in the past in this support series.
Later
Lamb

this is what I have heard from a few that condemned the program last year... competitive is the key I hope.. I barely know the names of the guys that do this for a living and have to guess that most are like me, heard of the big guys and love to watch any racing that is "competitive"

Just was not sure if that was coming true yet or not... I have watched a couple races this year and starting to enjoy it more now that I have some track time and some kind of idea just how hard it really is...

I truly respect the opins of you guys that know the racing so intimately.. I am just hoping they can make this a bit more "viewer friendly" so guys like me can get interested..

Drama aside, do you think they have improved the playing field?

The playing field has improved. There is always the haves and have nots but Lamb is enjoying the racing, for the most part. At tracks like Barber it is hard to tell because the course lends itself to spread out racing, for example.

I saw my first ever race last fall at the final Laguna Seca races. This year has been my first year watching on TV. The rolling start is less intense/exciting but it does seem to be safer. Other than that, it's a non-issue.

There have definitely been some excellent races, IMHO, where it's a race right up to the finish line with multiple lead swaps even in the final lap.

Is the playing field level? Well, equipment wise, since they adjusted the Buell weight, I'd say "Yes". However, in any of the classes in WSBK or AMA/DMG, I've noticed that there's generally about 10 guys or less that have a legitimate shot at placing in the top 3 on a regular basis. This became REALLY obvious when I saw somebody like Spies or Hacking either run off or crash and then come back on track DEAD LAST (or very close to dead last) and wind up finishing in the top 10. Obviosly, there are lot's of great racers but only a few truly elite racers in any given class.

As far as good racing goes, I've enjoyed the WSBK Superbike, AMA/DMG Superbike and AMA/DMG Sportbike series the most this year. Although I'll watch any motorcycle road racing I can find, those three series are the ones that I'm really keeping up with.

Wow Melodicmetalgod you must have been saving up all those posts and blasted them all at once. I agree about the trully elite racers likes Spies and Mladin maybe Hacking. Zemke used to be right there and DuHamel as well. I'm willing to give DMG a chance since this is their first year since acquiring the AMA series. They also had the misfortune of having the worst economy since the 30's. Hopefully next year after reviewing what has transpired this year , positive changes will be made.

When Speed started running races a week or two old I quit watching because I knew what had happened. Glad you made me aware they are on "same day" coverage". Wardie

I don't know what race it was, maybe AMA? But in Daytona this year the two 600's kicked the Buells A**! It was an awesome race though. The three bikes were in a group the entire race. Unbelievable fast racing with none of the top three giving any quarter. It was a slugfest the entire race. My kind of racing!

AMA has gotten so sub par that my TIVO didn't even record it as planned:rofl:
I guess it didn't recognize or register the name as a motorcycle event.
Any how, Go WSBK and Elbowz !!!

My opinion?

DMG SUCKS! The racing is mediocre. But the upper echelon of racing SHOULD belong to the fastest riders on the fastest equipment. DMG says the Jap Big 4 has to run bikes that are for sale to the public and Street legal (homologated). Now, they say a $40,000 Buell 1125RR, non-street legal, road race bike is DMG legal. WTF??!!

The Buell 1125R in Daytona Sportbike winning against 600's? Well, if you look at the past track record of its rider (Danny Eslick), he wasn't the fastest on a 600 before and was never championship material. But he was a good rider. Now, on a bike twice the displacement of his competition, he's winning just by a slim margin. Sure, good racing. But...a good but not great rider (compared to Martin Cardenas, Jaime Hacking, DiSalvo, Roger Lee Hayden) can be turned into a winner with 40 more HP.

Close racing? You can actually see some damn, good, close racing with your local club race organization. For us SoCAL guys, we have WSMC and WERA West. The WSMC Formula 1 race between Jeremy Toye and Jeff Tigert, 1st and 2nd, was separated by 0.036/sec!! Now that's tight racing.

I'll stick to WSBK (damn good racing there), and MotoGP (been damn good as of late) thank you very much.

Back