Opinions on running without a thermostat..

dane789

Registered
Hey guys, I could use a little advice....

2002 with 13k on it, velocity stage one with dump pipe, studded head, fan switch relocated into the radiator hose, muzzy fan, fresh coolant, been burped (yes the fan was running) Thermostat has been removed .

I got caught in very heavy stop and go traffic on Saturday, it was 88 degrees outside and i watch my temp gauge climb to the red zone.... I shut it off just as the warning light flicked on. My buddy was right next to me and his busa stayed cool, his temp gauge went just a little over 1/2 (his bike is all stock).

I've been told that the removal of the thermostat can cause an engine to overheat because the coolant circulates too fast and does not have time to absorb the heat like it should.

Opinions or suggestions please....

1st thought would be to put back the thermo! Dont know. Since turbo..my fans run more than they did before? Now dual GenII rad and fans both with Muzzy blades and engine ice for coolant.

over heating could be related to lots of things. I don't think having the thermostat in would have made a difference. They work really good for getting an engine up to temp quicker but as far as slowing the water down to absorb more heat before traveling to the rad is in the least questionable.

Just curious, are you revving the bike while stopped, and where are you idling?

I think dual fans, muzzys, and engine ice may help but you might find the issue is else where.

As far as the thermostat removal, I'm not sold.

over heating could be related to lots of things. I don't think having the thermostat in would have made a difference. They work really good for getting an engine up to temp quicker but as far as slowing the water down to absorb more heat before traveling to the rad is in the least questionable.

thermostat is for quicker warm up and to keep the bike cooler..... not saying that the thermostat is his problem but just information.....

The Gen 1 cooling system is borderline at best, anyway. Taking the thermostat out of a built motor, or turbo bike is common, and does not usually create problems, but on the contrary, helps the bike to run cooler. Running the fan relay relocation tee (on the right side rad hose), running a Muzzy fan blade, and running a bypass switch, so you can turn the fan on early - are all good mods. Also, don't forget the high-output oil pump gear - which also turns the water pump faster - another good mod. As is engine ice and other similar products. If you do all of this - especially on a Stage One - and it still gets hot too quickly, you may have other issues. A second fan may be in your future.:laugh:

I've been told that the removal of the thermostat can cause an engine to overheat because the coolant circulates too fast and does not have time to absorb the heat like it should.

Opinions or suggestions please....

This is incorrect, otherwise you could warm up in a blizzard by removing your clothing and letting the wind speed up past your naked skin. The faster the flowing cooling medium, the more it removes the boundary layer improving heat transfer.

Or so says Kevin Cameron.

As to whether it's a good idea to remove your thermostat or not for street riding, or, as to why your bike is over heating, I'll let more experienced folks argue about that.

cheers
ken

Might be running a touch lean at idle also. I have a stage II turbo system, Gen 1, muzzy blade on the stock fan and radiator and have never overheated. Could also be air in the system. Just some thoughts.

Back