opinions on home chroming

Chrome plating is a multi-step electrolytic process. Parts are cleaned, and surface prepped. Then there's the acid prep, rinse bath, copper plating, another rinse, nickel plating; which can be done until the surface is uniform-hence the term "triple nickel chrome-plated", and another rinse, and then the application of chromium (which is actually opaque). Then you have the buffing, and that's an art itself. The actual shine, and finish quality depends on the quality of the nickel, and how well it bonded to the copper.

I'm thinking the E.P.A. isn't going to be too keen on letting people use ferrocyanides at home, so I'd be really suspicious of a "Chrome-at-home" kit. I have, however used Krylon chrome spray (I can't believe I just confessed to that)!

Dont do it. Way to much hassle and danger. Unless you plan on making a career of it.You'll need tons of space,cleaners,tanks,etc.

RSD.

+1 and that's why it's not a DIY type of job. Forget about the disposal it's just having the room for all of the bath tanks etc...

Is anyone on the board own/work at a chrome shop? We could send them a ton of buisness, get a discount, and everyone would be happy. Anyone out there?

I'd keep searching for a chromer that can make your deadlines. I thought the Concord guys we're the ones

i read on some of the chromer stuff, no wonder people dont do it anymore
you are liable forever for all chemicals used.

Forget it, Period! Way too much B/S and there is a lot to know about it. No such thing as a "professional" do it at home kit. Maybe if you are making X-mas ornaments....

Back