Only Busa in a sea of H/D's!

Blacksmith

Registered
I went on my first poker run today, I know they're dominated by Harleys but I figured I'd be one of 2 or 3 "rockets" in the pack..... Nope I'm the only speeder in the pack of about 80 bikes. Instead of being shunned though every time we stopped there were at least 2 riders looking at and talking about my little Busa. "Damn things fast ain't it. Plenty of room for flames on them fairings. My brother had one years ago, scared the #^$* out of me and him both. I wanted one of them but wife wouldn't let me. I'd love to have one but they're just to small for me. (This dude was 6'7" and 300#!). That's the best sounding busa I've heard". Were some of the starting comments, I was surprised at the responses and very happy with the ride, nothing hurt after several hours (except numb hands) and the bike was perfect.

You really need to ride with other Busa riders . . .
the Harley crowd are a totally different mindset re motorcycles, they are focused on one type of bike and know very little about any other type, and riding in a group of 80 ???? I could only imagine the noise of it and the shambolic grouping lol ! :banghead:

You really need to ride with other Busa riders . . .
the Harley crowd are a totally different mindset re motorcycles, they are focused on one type of bike and know very little about any other type, and riding in a group of 80 ???? I could only imagine the noise of it and the shambolic grouping lol ! :banghead:
It actually sounded pretty good we rode in staggered pairs so it was a long line and you mostly heard just the two bikes in front of you. You're right though is like to ride with more sport bikes but there's way more HD's around here and very few Busas.

I went on my first poker run today, I know they're dominated by Harleys but I figured I'd be one of 2 or 3 "rockets" in the pack..... Nope I'm the only speeder in the pack of about 80 bikes. Instead of being shunned though every time we stopped there were at least 2 riders looking at and talking about my little Busa. "Damn things fast ain't it. Plenty of room for flames on them fairings. My brother had one years ago, scared the #^$* out of me and him both. I wanted one of them but wife wouldn't let me. I'd love to have one but they're just to small for me. (This dude was 6'7" and 300#!). That's the best sounding busa I've heard". Were some of the starting comments, I was surprised at the responses and very happy with the ride, nothing hurt after several hours (except numb hands) and the bike was perfect.
The main takeaway I have from this is you had a good time and the other motorcyclists were respectful and courteous.....anything else is gravy.

I find HD guys on the average to be interested in my Busa, they tell me it is not their thing but they respect what it represents.

It actually sounded pretty good we rode in staggered pairs so it was a long line and you mostly heard just the two bikes in front of you. You're right though is like to ride with more sport bikes but there's way more HD's around here and very few Busas.
Yeah I know what you mean, also here in NZ we have a huge HD following (old men with too much $$ and not enough riding skills!) but there's also a lot of sports bikes too.
I have never been into the HD thing . . too boring for my tastes.
Always been a sport bike nut. Before that I was a dirt bike nut lol. I guess that's where I got the skills and the confidence to ride a fast bike. :race:

Yeah everyone was friendly and either inquisitive or already familiar with the Busa, it wasn't just a crotch rocket to turn your nose up at. The funniest conversation about it was when I walked by a couple guys talking about a CVO Breakout being really fast, one was saying he liked having the fastest bike at the rides since he got the bike. The other guy pointed to me and said "he's got you at this one bro you ain't got it now" Mr CVO asked me "you got one you wanna run? What did you bring?". I pointed to mine (I don't think he even knew there was a rice rocket there) he says "ah hell nah!". Truth be told an experienced rider like that on a CVO probably could've left me until 130 though.

Yeah everyone was friendly and either inquisitive or already familiar with the Busa, it wasn't just a crotch rocket to turn your nose up at. The funniest conversation about it was when I walked by a couple guys talking about a CVO Breakout being really fast, one was saying he liked having the fastest bike at the rides since he got the bike. The other guy pointed to me and said "he's got you at this one bro you ain't got it now" Mr CVO asked me "you got one you wanna run? What did you bring?". I pointed to mine (I don't think he even knew there was a rice rocket there) he says "ah hell nah!". Truth be told an experienced rider like that on a CVO probably could've left me until 130 though.
a CVO is a 13-14 second bike.... busa doesn't have any issues running 9s.

BUSA has no problem running that. I, however, am probably not capable of it just yet. I havent launched the bike hard at all and dont twist it hard until I have a few grand on the tach.
I was the same way until I said fxck it can't be s pussy all my life lol

I'm geared 16/43, stock wheelbase and a full hit + clutch dump from about 3k at a standing start jus pulls so perfectly until about 5k and it lifts the front jus enough to look pretty going into second
:race:

Tho I'm lowered about as low as a gen 1 can get in stock form

Never had a problem with wheelies from a full hit with stock gearing anywhere in the power range, unless its a clutch dump at 5k or better

I'm 6' 1" and 280pnds also

Last edited:
Glad to know that someone got out and got along with a group of riders that have a different mentality. Most sportbike riders are trying to find out what you have done to make your bike to get to the destination faster. H/D riders are trying to find out what you have done to make the journey more enjoyable.

It seems like he enjoyed the journey.

I Very Rarely Ride With Anyone...Its a lonely existence...

I have a riding buddy I used to serve with.

He had an HD but sold it as he wanted to go in a different direction. He bought a Honda XR650 so he could explore trails and such but it was way too dirtbike like to ride anywhere on the street.

He then bought a Honda NC750X, he likes it and we ride together often...even later today.

I like riding with him but like riding by myself as well at times.

I ride by myself 99% of the time. I use it as a way to "get away" and just explore the area. My brother rides as well but barely ever as he has his own thing going on and I'm not sure he enjoys it as much as I do. A good friend of mine rides as well but he is busy with his business on the weekends. I don't mind, I absolutely love riding!

Back