Only 49 more states to go!

gurrera

Registered
MASS exodus of Florida
Hooray for Florida !

I-95 and I-75 will be jammed for the next month or so with druggies and deadbeats heading North out of Florida, because this is the first state in the union to require drug testing to receive welfare!

Hooray for Florida ! In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free."

Applicants must pay for the drug test, but are reimbursed if they test drug-free. Applicants who test positive for illicit substances, won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment. Those who fail a second time will be banned from receiving funds for three years!

Naturally, a few people are crying this is unconstitutional.
How is this unconstitutional? It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a job has to pass drug tests in order to get the job, why not those who receive welfare

Gurrera

If they did that in my state... the local economy (walmart) would collapse! i swear over half of their revenue is gov funded!

I believe that is totally fine . we should stop giving aid to some countries that break laws too

Just more misdirection. Who pays for all these drug tests? I know the ones I take are 75$. So more waste at the tune of 75$ per person.

Since when did drug testing for a job become a law.

More big brother nonsense. I guess a smart man would invest in some of the companies that help people cheat drug tests

Big brother nonsense huh? I say if you take the governments cheese you have to take the governments rules with it. I have no sympathy for people who complain while taking free money from others.

Big brother nonsense huh? I say if you take the governments cheese you have to take the governments rules with it. I have no sympathy for people who complain while taking free money from others.

I have no sympathy for people that allow an already overpowering government grow and continually waste money

Me neither.

Then how are you in agreeable with this when it cost the state +$45,000.

If we're gonna hand out free money and do little to nothing to follow the recipients and make sure funds are used properly then why waste the time on this bs?

This isn't even a band aid over a gunshot. It's about the equivalent if just shooting them again.

How much do you think it would cost to follow the recipients and make sure funds are used properly? Man power? Expenses? Government pensions? I think maybe $75 a shot for drug tests might be cheaper. I also think the recipient should not be reimbursed for the drug test but the bill probably would have failed otherwise.

How much do you think it would cost to follow the recipients and make sure funds are used properly? Man power? Expenses? Government pensions? I think maybe $75 a shot for drug tests might be cheaper. I also think the recipient should not be reimbursed for the drug test but the bill probably would have failed otherwise.

Considering it would cost 150 million plus to drug test everyone on welfare I'd rather see some jobs created vs money literally pissed away

You would rather see government jobs created? Jobs that are almost impossible to get rid of? How about the jobs created in the drug testing industry from the influx of tests coming in? $150 mil is a boon to the industry. It would be interesting to see if that industry lobbied for the bill.

You would rather see government jobs created? Jobs that are almost impossible to get rid of? How about the jobs created in the drug testing industry from the influx of tests coming in? $150 mil is a boon to the industry. It would be interesting to see if that industry lobbied for the bill.

I don't see drug testing helping anyone. Job creation would be minimal.

Closer supervision/guidance would lead to a more positive change IMHO.

I think a good thing would be to hold a job fair for people on welfare, those that turn down jobs fitting their needs should have assistance pulled.

There's probably 100 more ways to use money to help these people. This just seems like low hanging fruit and a way to lock in votes.

I agree, there should be a time limit like unemployment benefits, they should show they are attempting to get a job as well. I think drug testing is kind of missing the point but if it keeps people from abusing the system to a certain degree it might pay for its self later on. Time will tell.

I agree, there should be a time limit like unemployment benefits, they should show they are attempting to get a job as well. I think drug testing is kind of missing the point but if it keeps people from abusing the system to a certain degree it might pay for its self later on. Time will tell.

The 45000 figure I quoted was what was lost from '11. They had something like a 2% failure rate. It cost somewhere around 130k to test 4k recipients.

I dont know the details at all so I was going with the numbers you provided which I usually dont do. Again I personally think they should pay for their own drug testing. By the way why does it bother you so much what Florida does when your in Oklahoma and dont have anything invested?

The government would only pay for the ones that pass the test. I can't stand to watch tax paying $'s go to cheap people that either A. sell drugs and get welfare B. Work under the table and get welfare and C. being a drug addict and receive welfare. $75.00 for a test? I see them at wal-mart for like 10-15 bucks Maybe you're talking about an expensive one. I don't know

I like the idea!

Back