Online sources for direct replacement lithium battery?

switched to the Shorai 8 years ago,still starts the Bus like day one,,,,,sits on a bookshelf during the winter :D

I recently needed a batt ASAP and all my buddy had on the shelf [needed it that day,was working on a turbo prob] was a Yuasa,which I always had gr8 luck with for years,or a cheapo Chinese batt for 50 buck.He said try the cheapo.Reasoning: The higher grade batteries sit in the warehouse then on dealer shelves for years because of all the internet competition. OK,wtf...I drop in the cheapo. My bike is hard to start these days with a fueling problem,but this POS batt is doing the job...so far. Perhaps I will post from the side of the road one day what a dumb mistake I made. Then I will curse my buddy out...AFTER he picks me up in his truck. :laugh:

the only problem i see with the lifepo´s is,
that they usually only have 4-4.5 Ah (the acids / agm have 12 Ah)
and if you have to use the starter longer times, the lifepo stops earlier than the old acid´s and so on
caused by the lower Ah´s.

or if you leave the accu connected inside the bike, even the little on-board-clock will weaken the accu over 4-5 months very close to zero power.
and much faster this will happen if you got an alarm mounted and leave the system armed.

ok you can get lifepo´s with higher Ah´s, e.g. 8Ah, but then they get so very expensive ........

my comparison is based on our german prices :
the 4-4.5 Ah is available up from 65 €
the 8 Ah is always over 185-200 €

BUT
the starter motor whines / whimpers for mercy, :lol:
when you press the starter button.
even the "small" 4-4.5 AH lifepo4 delivers so much starting current.
it is always again a pleasure.
so i would recommend allways the lifepo4 for its usual use. :thumbsup:

My son bought the "el cheapo" battery for his bike instead of the OEM replacement and after 1 and a half years it is toast...

He makes me laugh though as he is an Air Force helicopter tech, he drags out all this gear and tests the battery and system. Spends hours doing so only to find out the battery is done-something I told him just by hearing the symptoms...

My opinion is, better to spend the money now and not be left on the side of the road somewhere.

Especially a bike. they are easily carted away...
Yup. I have mutiple locks,but nothing is FOOL proof. The problem is apparantly huge in Europe where even if it is bolted down to a concrete floor it may not be there in the morning. Here in this part of the world the punks are just way too lazy for that. Knock on wood....

Back