One Of Those Moments....

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Last weekend I was riding on a road that not too many people know (good thing). It's in northeast NC (about 20 minutes from my house in VA), and it's over 2+ miles long and straight as an arrow with no intersections. Runs through the swamp so trees on one side but open to swamp water on the other. Great place to take the Busa all the way up and I have had her to a GPS 170+ mph there a couple times (that's top speed when you are fat). I usually run it early before there is any traffic, about 5:30 - 6 am. Got there last weekend at 6:10 or so. I was already headed in the direction with the water on the side so I decided to go straight into a run. 60, 90, 140, 150, 155, seems stuck at this speed, suddenly silence and speedo swings right up to 176 (really GPS 168). I love that feeling when you get into the bubble and the bike zips up to top speed. Start slowing down and then suddenly I'm standing up on the bike and the front wheel is airborne at 160+!. Well I was once told that unless you are laid over and the rear wheel is sliding, keep the power on and let the bike straighten things out - which I did. When bike came down there was a wobble but she straightened up and flew right. Man what a shock! There is nothing like a wind blast at 160 mph, I was lucky I held onto the bike. After a calm down break I rode back and realized there was a huge new dip in the road there. I don't think I saw it because of the early morning shadows and excessive speed. I probably went airborne, that explains the bike just falling away under me. I usually ride the road slow in one direction then run it on the way back just to check for obstacles, animals, etc. Getting lazy can get you killed! Guess I had my falcon angels riding with me that day. But as I always say: "if you're going to do stupid things be smart about it!"

I had a similar experience during a speed run years ago on a sweet two lane I was completely familiar with. As I approached 170+ right in the middle of my lane an unexpected wind blast from my right blew me into the oncoming lane, 6-8' to my left. To make things worse a tumbleweed was in the wind blast and was collected and crunched in the forks. Thankfully it was just a tumbleweed and didn't effect my steering but a sliver from it wedged itself under a fork seal causing it to leak. It's a very strange feeling to change lanes in the blink of an eye at speed w/o any intentional steering effort. Not panicking is the key to survival I think.

I've never minded the front end coming up on a bike, but when it comes up at high speed without clearance from the pilot it tends to test my control of certain bodily functions... At least you didn't need any coffee after that! Glad it came back under you okay.

Willie I did that one time in 2000 when the Busas were first out, I was actually getting on it hard doing rolling starts with a friend on his 750. I crested a small hill never ever thinking that the front end would stay going up! I had just pulled away at a million miles an hour and was hard shifting from 5th to 6th so had to be serious triples. I just rode it out, the front end sat back down and a few miles, my buddy pulled up to me fist pumping and all excited about it. A few minutes later we pulled up to a sonic drive in to get a drink and I pulled my helmet off and my buddy was smiling from ear to ear and he came over and high 5'vd me. He said that was the coolest thing he had ever seen. I was afraid to get off the bike at that point because I was pretty sure there was a seat now attached to my butt for good.

A learning moment, I never did that again!

Those are trash the britches moments for sure! I had one of those back in 03. Pretty much same scenereo , crested a hill i forgot about and bike was airborne. Friends all thought it was awesome and i was a GOD. Once i got home, i cleaned my pants out and never rode that road again!

Cool video, deceptive, doesn't look anywhere near 206 mph.
The front end touches down, and he lifts it again near the end. I wonder what the rules are for that?
I've been around 130mph on a 10-11 o'clock stand up(friend following watching his speed, can't see your guages on a stand up), and held the front up a couple feet seated, at almost 150mph.
Having gps'd 197mph(both tires on the road)
the idea of dealing with the amount of wind on a stand up wheelie at those speeds is very impressive.
Having never ridden a turbo bike, I can imagine the power makes it more, point and shoot, still, the wind can put you down before you can react...but, I'de love to try it!

Back