One hour vs four hours

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
7:35pm Head out to the garage.
Pull the rear wheel and remove all the hardware.
FINALLY install the new rotor that Big Jim sent to me a couple months ago. Thank you, kind sir! $25 donation to h.org
Installed new brake pads on rear. $29 Galfers
Installed new brake pads on the front right side $39 EBC HH
Installed new brake pads on the front left side $39 EBC HH
Pumped up the front brakes. Did not pump the rear brakes (no wheel on there, remember?)
Looked at watch
8:35pm

I'll have the wiff take the tire over to the local Honda dealer to put on the replacement tire for $20. 20 minutes there, 20 minutes while they give her excellent service. 20 minutes back home. 10 minutes tomorrow night to remount. (Soooo, that's another hour, I know!)

Decided to polish my dress shoes. That took 25 minutes to get juuuuust the right spit shine!

If I had taken the bike to the local Suzuki dealer's shop

-Recruit the wiff to follow me over there.
-Ride over for 25 minutes
-Spend 15 minutes getting the attention of the service manager
-Tell him what I want for 5 minutes
-Have him write up service ticket for 5 minutes
-Swear internally for 10 minutes at the cost of the labor. I don't remember any more but I think it would be about $185 in addition to the costs of parts listed above.
-That does include the cost of putting on the replacement tire, however, but that's $50 of that cost at least
-If I go home instead of wait there, no additional time. If I decide to go home, then when they call me, another 25 minute ride over there
-Get the bill and the key from the service manager
-Swear internally at the bill some more
-Take the bill to the pimply kid at the register. Wait 10 more minutes for him to get his crap together and actually charge my credit card for me.
-Ride home for 25 minutes (excluding the scenic route)

Well, I don't know if all of that adds up to four hours but dang, it sure seems like it some times. All of that assumes I don't have to have the guy remount the tire because he put it on backward.

Trust me, it saves me a lot of time to do it all myself.

How much was that lift again? $299? That's a SMOKIN' deal.

And the bike shop doesn't shine my shoes, either!

--Wag--

Oh, and that doesn't count the time I have to take to retention the chain because the shop tightened it up like a dang rubber band.

And I'd have to air up the tire because they only put about half as much in as I need!

And everything above gets done right.
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

you didnt buy the tire changer too??
laugh.gif
Working on that. Should be one of the next major tool purchase for the bikes.

Two nights before the above, Wag pulled my rear tire (8,023 miles on it
tounge.gif
) I took it down and had the new one mounted brought it back and Wag helped me change the rear breaks and re-install the back tire. Took it out for a spin today and scrubbed the new tire a bit.

That is a lot of savings!!!!

--Nanwags
(Thanks honey!)

It's so true. Right now I am... installing a new swingarm, installing new chain and sprockets, installing billet countershaft cover, installing HID lighting, installing Woodcraft dyno cover, installing Muzzy fan, installing DOT 5.1 in clutch/both brakes. When all apart I got to 1)make sure my damper is secure, 2)hand detail my wheels 3)clean the INSIDE of my fairings 4)use loc tite on all nuts and bolts.
To have a shop do all that....$ equal to a European vacation!

If I had $50k in my checking acct., I'd still do stuff myself. 3 cheers for independence!
Raydog

I may have to borrow MrGxr's tire changer next time around. I'm tired (LOL) of having to take them in to be mounted and balanced.

--Wag--

Now you've got me thinking, "should I do my own tire r&r and balancing?" Nah, I'll just continue using the tire shop.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
(8,023 miles on it)[/quote] Im going to get smacked for saying this... Nanwags ya got to quit riding like a girl! LOL No one gets that type of miles out of a tire.... God I know Im going to get smacked for saying that...

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
(8,023 miles on it)[/quote] Im going to get smacked for saying this... Nanwags ya got to quit riding like a girl! LOL No one gets that type of miles out of a tire.... God I know Im going to get smacked for saying that...[/quote]
Y'know, I've been saying that for quite some time now! Can't argue with the price tags, though!

LMAO

--Wag--

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
(8,023 miles on it)[/quote] Im going to get smacked for saying this... Nanwags ya got to quit riding like a girl! LOL No one gets that type of miles out of a tire.... God I know Im going to get smacked for saying that...[/quote]
I was wondering when someone would say that.
corner2.png

I think it has more to do with that I weight more like a girl then you big 'Busa boys and my bike has less torque. (J/K)
moon.gif

You will have to come ride with me to know if I ride it hard or not in the canyons. I can't wait to take it to the track.

tounge.gif

--Nanwags

Back