One for the moper guys

DAZZ

DEATH DEALER
Donating Member
Registered
Looking for some advice on what to look for on this Mustang Mach 1.........

I have owned several MOPER'S in my time, but never a Mustang.

So on the Mustang I'm not sure what questions I would need to ask this guy....... mostly in relation to the body WORK......

Hoping you guys might have some input on areas of the body that this model may suffer from rust or rot..... or any other issues that you know about with this model.

I myself am thinking maybe around the back window and around rear wheel's......

With the car being this old. I would have too expect body work, repairers, to have been done somewhere...

As the car is in the UK......... it means me going overseas to look at it............ so I'm kind of hoping to ask as much as I can about it........ before I consider making the trip..

Any advice, comments, or import whatsoever, greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Mustang-Mach1-5-7-V8-Cleveland_W0QQitemZ140023150368QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18301QQrdZ1QQc
mdZViewItem" target="_blank">Mustang Mach 1</a>

Owned a 1970 model in 1986 for a while, loved it,
but I sold it to buy my 1986 Suzuki GSXR 750 .

The car looks fairly cherry. Seems to be in good repair. If it passes MOT you ought to be in good shape but there is always that doubt...
Have the guy take digital pictures of all of the underbody areas. Considering that it is in UK you have to expect moderate or extensive rusting unless the car has been garaged all it's life or just imported from the US desert southwest. Looking at the radiator support, there is no obvious indication of the car having been in any major frontal collision. Also the buy it now price is that of a nearly pristine example of such a car. If the car has a C4 autogearbox you have a major aftermarket for repair and performance modifications. If it is the C6 it is even more durable and capable of handling some major power mods. Make sure to ascertain what type of differential housing and carrier is in the back I believe it should be the bulletproof Ford 9". Ask the guy what rear gear ratio is in it also because that will affect your driveability, I don't think he would have it set to run at Santa Pod so the gears should be hi (numerically low) probably in the low to mid 3.s like 3.08, 3.23, 3.27,3.45s. Just reading this guy's extensive description of the scratch event leads me to believe that the car is well worth the trip to take a closer look before handing him money and driving it back to EIRE.

The car looks fairly cherry. Seems to be in good repair. If it passes MOT you ought to be in good shape but there is always that doubt...
Have the guy take digital pictures of all of the underbody areas. Considering that it is in UK you have to expect moderate or extensive rusting unless the car has been garaged all it's life or just imported from the US desert southwest. Looking at the radiator support, there is no obvious indication of the car having been in any major frontal collision. Also the buy it now price is that of a nearly pristine example of such a car. If the car has a C4 autogearbox you have a major aftermarket for repair and performance modifications. If it is the C6 it is even more durable and capable of handling some major power mods. Make sure to ascertain what type of differential housing and carrier is in the back I believe it should be the bulletproof Ford 9". Ask the guy what rear gear ratio is in it also because that will affect your driveability, I don't think he would have it set to run at Santa Pod so the gears should be hi (numerically low) probably in the low to mid 3.s like 3.08, 3.23, 3.27,3.45s.  Just reading this guy's extensive description of the scratch event leads me to believe that the car is well worth the trip to take a closer look before handing him money and driving it back to EIRE.
Thanks Projekt..........
beerchug.gif

Some good questions here for me to be getting on with....

Appreciate your input........
bowdown.gif

Just reading this guy's extensive description of the scratch event leads me to believe that the car is well worth the trip to take a closer look before handing him money and driving it back to EIRE.
That's exactly what I was thinking on reading it....

Do the engine and chassis #'s match,if not Dave,thats wayyyyyyy too much $
wink.gif

Have the guy take digital pictures of all of the underbody areas. Considering that it is in UK you have to expect moderate or extensive rusting unless the car has been garaged all it's life or just imported from the US desert southwest. Looking at the radiator support, there is no obvious indication of the car having been in any major frontal collision. Also the buy it now price is that of a nearly pristine example of such a car. If the car has a C4 autogearbox you have a major aftermarket for repair and performance modifications. If it is the C6 it is even more durable and capable of handling some major power mods. Make sure to ascertain what type of differential housing and carrier is in the back I believe it should be the bulletproof Ford 9". Ask the guy what rear gear ratio is in it also because that will affect your driveability, I don't think he would have it set to run at Santa Pod so the gears should be hi (numerically low) probably in the low to mid 3.s like 3.08, 3.23, 3.27,3.45s.  Just reading this guy's extensive description of the scratch event leads me to believe that the car is well worth the trip to take a closer look before handing him money and driving it back to EIRE.
Good questions...............  he could not answer any of them............

He resulted in ending the listing to the get the information in case these ARE asked for again.......

Thanks Projekt....
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|DAZZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156712559 -->

Bring a magnet and check for spots that have rusted and been replaced with fiberglass. Why go to the UK to buy a car? Going to cost you to bring it back, so why not buy one here?

Bring a magnet and check for spots that have rusted and been replaced with fiberglass.  Why go to the UK to buy a car?  Going to cost you to bring it back, so why not buy one here?
Thanks for the good advice.....

But I'm not on your side of the POND........... I'm in Dublin, Ireland...

I am a member of a number of American car clubs in Ireland...

But at the moment anything thats For sale here needs a lot of work......... and people are looking for crazy money..

<!--EDIT|DAZZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156712904 -->

Im a bit confused

MOPER?

You can't mean MOPAR, that's Chrysler.
Dazz was in a major MC accident not too long ago...lost a few fingers (didn't type very well before the crash)
tounge.gif

Also he's in Ireland....they speak a bit differently on that side of the world....so Moper, Mopar, Mustang....I had no trouble understanding him
rock.gif

Im a bit confused

MOPER?

You can't mean MOPAR, that's Chrysler.
Dazz was in a major MC accident not too long ago...lost a few fingers (didn't type very well before the crash)
tounge.gif

Also he's in Ireland....they speak a bit differently on that side of the world....so Moper, Mopar, Mustang....I had no trouble understanding him
rock.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Cheers Rich............ saved me the trouble..

And my one-handed typing is not that bad........
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

+1 for NJ. if the numbers match, and it's in good condition...maaannnnnnnnn!!!!!

Back